2016 Constant squeaking brakes

I've got the same issue with my 2016 CX-5 Grand Touring AWD. Brakes only squealing from the rear when lightly applying the brakes and at slow speeds. Also, when releasing the brakes at 0mph and allowing the car to roll forward, there is a squeaking noise when the wheels start spinning (no brakes applied).

First experienced the problem with about 7k miles on it, told Mazda Dealership about the issue and they told me they looked fine. Complained about it at my next service and they told me they needed to order new pads for it. Went to the dealer once the new pads arrived and they sent me home telling me the 2016 uses a different pads than the 13-15 models. They ordered the correct pads, replaced them, squeaking went away for about 3k miles. Took it back, they told me there was a bulletin from Mazda about it, but the bulletin said that the problem only occurred when the brakes were worn, not new brakes like what I had. They told me that the brakes are harder and that's why they may be squeaking, so that they last longer. I put a complaint in to the Manager of the dealership and he said he would call Mazda and call me later in the day. He called me and told me he spoke to Mazda and there are 0 complaints for 2016 for the issue I am having and they will change out the rotors and pads, but there is no guarantee that it will resolve the issue.

I had the 2014 CX-5, never had this issue, I put about 50k miles on that before upgrading to the 2016 model. I now have 20k miles on the 2016. I do drive a lot, but the car is less than a year old, 85% highway driving.

I'm scheduling my rotors and brakes to be replaced. Will post an update of the results; I'm hoping that fixes the issue.

I finally just gave up. They replaced everything to new, and they started squeaking within 24 hrs again.

I do not recall seeing very much of this problem before the changeover to the ELECTRIC PARKING BRAKE for the 2016 year?

I do not recall seeing very much of this problem before the changeover to the ELECTRIC PARKING BRAKE for the 2016 year?

I have the manual parking brake but I can't see how the electrically actuated brake could make one bit of difference unless the electric brake was partially deployed. Chances are, that's not the problem.

The fact is, modern disc brakes sometimes squeak. I haven't experienced it on a CX-5 but it can happen on any car. The best solution is a little anti-squeak compound on the backside of any offending pad. This will dampen any high frequency sounds from taking root.

Hold on here. Am I understanding that a Mazda dealer does not keep brake pads in stock ????? Good Grief. As far as the squealing, not a sound from my 2016 GT in temps ranging from 16 to 78 Degrees F. Not Normal.

Hold on here. Am I understanding that a Mazda dealer does not keep brake pads in stock ????? Good Grief. As far as the squealing, not a sound from my 2016 GT in temps ranging from 16 to 78 Degrees F. Not Normal.

My dealer did not. Took 2 weeks to get them as well.

I have the manual parking brake but I can't see how the electrically actuated brake could make one bit of difference unless the electric brake was partially deployed. Chances are, that's not the problem.

The fact is, modern disc brakes sometimes squeak. I haven't experienced it on a CX-5 but it can happen on any car. The best solution is a little anti-squeak compound on the backside of any offending pad. This will dampen any high frequency sounds from taking root.

I am thinking that the ELECTRIC PARKING BRAKE could possible be misadjusted, or perhaps Mazda is using a different caliper in order to use the electric parking brake. Either way, my point is that I do not recall any complaint from 2013, 2014, or 2015 CX5 owners about this problem. And 2016 is the first year and the CX5 is the first mazda suv to get an electric parking brake.

Last edited:
My rear's squeak when they're cold and I begin to apply the brakes. I have only noticed this recently when the temperature has dropped below 30F. It is annoying, but not annoying enough for me to go deal with the dealership and potentially get the run around. If it gets any worse I'll handle it myself, I have dealt with numerous brake systems including swapping drum->disc and what not.

My rear's squeak when they're cold and I begin to apply the brakes. I have only noticed this recently when the temperature has dropped below 30F. It is annoying, but not annoying enough for me to go deal with the dealership and potentially get the run around. If it gets any worse I'll handle it myself, I have dealt with numerous brake systems including swapping drum->disc and what not.

same thing here, mine squeak as well in the first few miles at low speed but it doesn't bother me enough to go to the dealer.

Happens to my 2016 when backing out. I do always use the electronic parking brake out of habit. Not sure if that affects anything.

I am currently having a similar problem on my 2016 CX-5 GT FWD. I called dealer and they said to do a "panic" stop. I tried this several times, but to no avail. I have an appointment on Friday, February 19th and will report back after.

Same problem here, but it will gone after few brakes or stop. There are no way to fix it beside buy aftermarket rotor and brake pads, that is just the way it it.

My wife's 2016 CX-5 is having the same problem. Brought to the dealer and they said there was rust on the rotors. They cleaned it up and it was better on the way home, but the next day it was back to the same old squeaking. 7500 miles.

Took my car in today for an oil change and recall service. After having complained about my brakes squeaking to my dealer in two prior service appointments, a new manager came in and approved a brake pad change and rotor shaving. Now the squeaking is gone.

If your dealer is denying there is anything wrong, I would try elsewhere or put in a formal complaint. There is no reason a brand new car should be squeaking at 3000 miles for the next 10,000 miles (that was mine). Good luck.

I would suspect the disks/pads are glazed and the only fix is to sand or replace pads and surface disks. With new parts, don't ride brakes, either brake or not and don't keep foot on the brake pedal. Ed

One dealer said the brakes were "harder". Could be that Mazda spec'd out a different pad material to add more life to the rear brakes and maybe causing the squeaking in the newer models.

"Harder" is code for glazing. Brakes usually glaze due to over-heating as I understand it. Google it for I am not an expert on the subject.

I'm wondering if the factory brake caliper lubricant has been washed away off of the calipers and guide pins... If there's no brake grease on the calipers, pins (if applicable) or other hardware that's supposed to have lubricant - upon braking those components will exhibit a high pitch squeak or squeal due to the normal resonance and harmonics those parts experience under braking conditions.

The only time a rotor should be cut is if:
1) it's warped and has enough material to cut to correct the warpage
2) it's scored and has enough material to cut to regain a smooth surface

Does anyone know if the stock Mazda pads are metallic, semi-metallic or ceramic? Most newer vehicles today are using ceramic pads for longevity and less dusting.

Looks like Im having the same problem with my 2016 GT 4000mi CX-5. Squeaking happens when the car slowly rolls after releasing the brake pedal. Im going to try to take off the wheels and see if anything is stuck on my brakes.

Back