2016 Constant squeaking brakes

52804x4

:
'16 Mazda CX-5 GT
Any other 2016 owners experiencing constantly squeaking brakes? (happens only at slower speeds as you apply the brakes)
I mentioned it to the dealer a few weeks back when it was in for it's first oil change. They wrote it off as mild rust build up on the rotors from the wet Spring/Summer we are having.
It is now to the point I don't buy that BS. I can get stuck in stop-n-go traffic for a half hour or more, giving the brakes plenty of time to warm up and work off any rusty residue, and they will still squeak like crazy at every stop. I know it needs to go back to the dealer, I'm just afraid I'm going to get the same BS run around.

Just hoping I'm not the only one. . .

Last edited:
Whether you are the only one or not is irrelevant. What you are describing is not normal. Take it back to the dealer and insist they fix it. If that fails, call Mazda customer relations or take it to another dealer. And don't take NO for an answer!

Do several firm rolling stops from 50 mph to 5 mph to remove any glaze that has built up. Trying to be too easy on brakes by dragging them to a stop is what can cause this. Don't be afraid to use them. Ed

Do several firm rolling stops from 50 mph to 5 mph to remove any glaze that has built up. Trying to be too easy on brakes by dragging them to a stop is what can cause this. Don't be afraid to use them. Ed

Gave that a few tries already. It's definitely going back to the dealer, BS or not. I was just more curious if this may be part of a more wide spread issue.

An inspection is definitely needed.

I had a very lucky leaf wedge itself through the spokes of the wheel and into the brake caliper before. When attempting to remove this dry and brittle leaf it broke and wedged itself in the same fashion the wear tabs on brake pads are. So when driving it made the same noise as if my brake pads were worn out, but 3x louder. Had to take it home, remove the wheel and use a set of needle nose pliers to remove the leaf fragment from the brake caliper.

It just boggled my mind how a leaf was able to manage to land in that exact spot and cause such an annoying problem. Stupid leaf! (unamused)

An inspection is definitely needed.

I had a very lucky leaf wedge itself through the spokes of the wheel and into the brake caliper before. When attempting to remove this dry and brittle leaf it broke and wedged itself in the same fashion the wear tabs on brake pads are. So when driving it made the same noise as if my brake pads were worn out, but 3x louder. Had to take it home, remove the wheel and use a set of needle nose pliers to remove the leaf fragment from the brake caliper.

It just boggled my mind how a leaf was able to manage to land in that exact spot and cause such an annoying problem. Stupid leaf! (unamused)

I had this happen but with a styrofoam cup from Sonic. Late night drive, gust of wind blew a stray cup right into my path and it somehow managed to wedge the lip of itself in the caliper creating a godawful sound. Pulled over immediately and a hard tug took it out. The odds were baffling.

Went to the dealer this AM to have this looked at. They couldn't find any issues, so they slathered on some BG - stop squeal, and sent me on my way.

Last edited:
Yep. And if I don't see results after my next trip, I'll be finding the next closest one. Unfortunately I will now not be able to get my ride back into a dealer until Aug 27th or later. (Crazy week of training this week -2 week road trip after that)

Update: I went in for trip number three. They got Mazda Tech on the line to ask me a bunch of questions. Most of which seemed like they were making it my problem. (eg. you are one of those people who race light to light slamming on the breaks all the time. . .The tire dressing my car wash uses is affecting the breaks (I don't take it to a car wash that use's anything on the tires!)

So the Mazda tech told them to resurface the rotors, and replace the pads. The kicker is, the pads have to be ordered from Japan! Rotors were resurfaced, which helped for about a day. Then they were right back to squeaking. No clue when the new rotors will be here?

Update: I went in for trip number three. They got Mazda Tech on the line to ask me a bunch of questions. Most of which seemed like they were making it my problem. (eg. you are one of those people who race light to light slamming on the breaks all the time. . .The tire dressing my car wash uses is affecting the breaks (I don't take it to a car wash that use's anything on the tires!)

So the Mazda tech told them to resurface the rotors, and replace the pads. The kicker is, the pads have to be ordered from Japan! Rotors were resurfaced, which helped for about a day. Then they were right back to squeaking. No clue when the new rotors will be here?
Why would you let them resurface the rotors if they didn't have new pads to install? Sounds like you need to be a little more proactive in this situation or they'll be jerking you around for months!

Seems odd the pads need to be flown in... pretty basic part for a service department. Could be an issue with a manufacturing run of them. Are the pads different on the '16 vs 13-15?

I have the same problem on my 2016 cx-5, too. Always happen at low speed.
Been thinking sending it back for a checkout but I'm also close to my first 8000km so wondering if it's worth the hassle to get it check out now...

I would not have let them cut my rotors. They will need to do it again when the new pads get in. And rotors can only be cut so much.

I didn't know until they handed it back to me that they resurfaced the rotors already. I assumed, when they came out to tell me that they needed to order in the pads, and have me come back when they arrived, that they would do it all in the same visit.

Back