Koni adjustables now available for 2014-2015 Mazda 3s

:
San Diego, CA
:
2014 Mazda3 S GT auto, 2008 MX5 6-speed
I have these in my MX5 and not only are they excellent shocks, but they lowered the MX5 by another 1/2-inch (beyond the drop from the Progress springs). I'm not sure if the same drop would happen in a Mazda 3 but I can see myself getting these Konis some day. Lighter wheels are presently at the top of my mod list.
I saw the Konis in the Tirerack site.

Okay, after speaking to Koni and Tirerack, I verified that spring height doesn't change the compression and rebound characteristics of Koni Sport shocks (Yellows), so they CAN provide a ride from soft to racing stiff. My set (20% off at Tirerack.com) should be on my 3 within the next few weeks. I'll report back when they are on, and if they are anything like the Koni Sports on my MX5, I will be very happy.

Update: The yellow (sport) Konis are installed and I have a couple of weeks of driving with them. Here are my impressions.
1. Ride height is pretty much the same, which is fine by me. The Eibach-lowered height is much better-looking than the OEM height.
2. The front Konis are set to full soft and the rears are not adjustable.
3. Even at full soft, the ride is still very "aggressive" which to me means that it is very firm and buttoned down - no side-hopping at all.
4. Rebound is improved, making sudden steering changes more like a track car - very little tipping/rotation of the vehicle. This makes it feel like it is more in control at all times.
5. If you drive sedately, Konis won't change your experience much.
6. If you like a smooth, comfortable ride, don't get Eibach Sport springs. I happen to like a more sporty feel and this combination definitely satisfies that need. Of course, the 17.5-lb each Enkei PF01 wheels enable enhanced acceleration, more road feedback, and better braking.

In other words, it's like having an M3 that is focused on having excellent handling + excellent fuel mileage. Better tires are on the horizon.

Back