Sport gear mode on 2016 Cx5

sashok

:
Mazda Cx5
Hello,
Does someone tried the Sport mode on the new Cx5 ?
It doesn't shifts above 4-th shift. On the highway after "playing" with sport mode I have to switch back to normal mode at cruising speed about 100 kph, otherwise it will remain on high RPM.
Is it normal behavior ?

How long does it remain there? Are you talking about actual sport mode, or the manual-shifter (slap-stick as I call it, since you're not shifting anything, just "pressing a button" that happens to be a shift lever...) option?

That sounds weird, however, my 2015 will hang at high RPM's for 3-5 seconds after you PUNCH it and let off quickly, as it wants to be sure you're really "done" before downshifting again. I imagine sport mode is similar?

I'm talking about Sport mode which is switched by small switch near the shift handle on automatic transmission.
shift.jpg
I accelerated from 0 and drove about a minute at 100 kph on high RPM and it didn't shifted to highest shift until I switches off the Sport mode.

I use sport mode for towing around town. It does a good job of keeping the transmission from seeking around when dragging 1000+ lbs behind.

The sport mode button will force the engine into a different map which keeps the rpm higher for more usable power when you depress the gas pedal. When Your cruising at highway speeds with the sport mode activated it will not shift to the next highest gear, it keeps your RPM high so that if you want to pull out and pass or something, the engine doesn't have to down shift first, your already in the lower gear. Great for aggressive driving, not so great for mpg.

So you say this is normal behavior ?
I'd expect that it will shift at higher RPM, be more sensitive to kick down, but once you leave the gas pedal it should switch to highest shift.

My CX-3 does the same thing. I assumed it would shift at approximately the same speeds the manual recommends for Manual mode. It does so for the first 2 shifts, but it winds out way past 40 MPH before shifting the 3rd time.

It's normal. It wasn't designed for highway use. Unless you want to needlessly burn more gas.

As reported by the motoring press, Mazda opted for a very aggressive sport setting on these later transmissions. I guess they figured that if they were going to go to the trouble of adding this feature, it was going to be a dramatic departure from what other manufacturers do. You either love it or hate it.

That is one additional positive about using the paddle shifters though, you can manually shift through all gears in sport mode.

Sport mode + "manual" is the best, and is what I mainly use when driving aggressively. I love flipping it on when I have the opportunity. Sport in regular Auto D is not so good for cruising, as stated before. Gotta be a little hard on the pedal for it to keep shifting.

Think of sport mode and manual mode as the closest thing to a real manual transmission but without having a clutch pedal. You need to be the one changing gears when you want to. I test drove a 2016 cx5 with an auto and then a manual transmission one right after the other to compare. The feeling of driving the auto trans in manual mode and sport mode is so close to the feeling of driving the manual transmission. So close that I was almost convinced to purchase the 2.5L with auto instead of my 2.0L with manual.

That being said, for cruising on the highway, normal auto mode is best. I think the switch is actually properly described... SPORT MODE. It is for sportier drive whether you are on the highway or not.

I have driven 1 full tank exclusively in SPORTS mode. Today I use it in stop-and-go traffic mostly. There are these F@@@@rs who would try to suddenly come whenever there is a small gap especially when trying to get into a ramp. I use manual and this mode. Its awesome. It takes some getting used to as when the pedal released the engine revs down slowly and with a growl. Basically, it maps to a lower gear so higher RPM. I don't think it technically increases acceleration but gives the feeling as if yes, but shifting gear to a lower setting. Does NOT change throttle response like other cars. Overall, I think its great. Why? Cause I love it!

I have a 16.5 2.5 sport, and it keeps rpms at like 2800 and shifts at 5-6200rpm depending on throttle response. It's definitely better to drive in sport mode in some turns as oppose to drive. I've used it twice to see what it does. Maybe towards the end of the year, I'll start playing with it more. Vehicle has 14xx miles on it.

I have a 16.5 2.5 sport, and it keeps rpms at like 2800 and shifts at 5-6200rpm depending on throttle response. It's definitely better to drive in sport mode in some turns as oppose to drive. I've used it twice to see what it does. Maybe towards the end of the year, I'll start playing with it more. Vehicle has 14xx miles on it.
What happens at the end of the year?

Back