Alamo1's Forged Engine Build

Check your vent. I had that problem on another car. Back pressure of gas vapors is triggering pump to stop.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

So...

I've run into another problem. I can't fill my gas tank. Pump cuts out as if the fuel is backing up in the full pipe!?!

Any suggestions?
You got to take fill hose out. I've been told there's a flap down at the tank side of the hose

Sent from my HTC Desire 626s using Tapatalk

So I broke the exhaust hangar a while back and let the car sit for a while.

The noise was getting to me too. One big long pipe from DP to Muffler was just too loud. So I did this.

And I was getting sick of taking the cup holder out to access the microtech to I slapped it in the glovey.

I'll snap some more pics in the light tomorrow. And I just realized I never got an engine bay pic of it complete. Still have some more things to take care of but those can wait for another day. I'd forgotten how much I like to drive it and even more so now with it quieter in the car. I still enjoy that I can peel out rolling at 50kph(~30mph).

Last edited:
UPDATE!!!

ZOOM

ZOOM

BOOM!!!

After putting the GT2871R on third gear let go, and I wasn't even hammering it hard, or so I thought. I think this might be the end. I'm not looking forward to the loss I'll take on all the parts but I'll likely begin a part out in the near future.

Sad too. My first commute on a nice spring day and it throws in the towel.

UPDATE!!!

ZOOM

ZOOM

BOOM!!!

After putting the GT2871R on third gear let go, and I wasn't even hammering it hard, or so I thought. I think this might be the end. I'm not looking forward to the loss I'll take on all the parts but I'll likely begin a part out in the near future.

Sad too. My first commute on a nice spring day and it throws in the towel.
Oh no 😢

Sent from my HTC 10 using Tapatalk

Stock gearing, Msp welded diff and ferdi plate. That's why I'm a little surprised this happened.

Dude, at 37 I'm gonna get me a different hobby. I've been working on this for for almost 10 years. It's time to move on. I'm tired of crawling around under it fixing stuff.

Stock gearing, Msp welded diff and ferdi plate. That's why I'm a little surprised this happened.

Hmm, I guess those plate's still don't solve the case flexing problem. That or third gear is still a weak point either way. That concerns me.

I snagged a 46k mile trans for $150 last summer, you may as well swap in a stock trans and sell it running so you don't take too much of a loss.

As much as I love my MSP I am starting to feel the want to move on as well. Part of me thinks it will be a classic one day if I hold on to it a bit longer and part of me thinks it may never have much more value than it does now.

c7d05e783e0c055a58e6aa85d4f1907c.jpg

This is what i moved on to. Car was running good when i traded it in(got murdered on the trade). just wanted something else.

Has anyone ever heard of 3rd gear failure in the 5 speed mazda 3's? Tha complete pair of complete mazda 3 shafts are a direct fit into the protege G series trans.

Has anyone ever heard of 3rd gear failure in the 5 speed mazda 3's? Tha complete pair of complete mazda 3 shafts are a direct fit into the protege G series trans.

Hmm, that is intriguing. I may look into this. Although I wonder if the gear sets were redesigned.

c7d05e783e0c055a58e6aa85d4f1907c.jpg

This is what i moved on to. Car was running good when i traded it in(got murdered on the trade). just wanted something else.

Those cars look great, but they are so slow. A coworker has a manual and I can put bus lengths on him. An EJ25 turbo swap would be cool, but for the money spent building it you could buy a much faster car.

Wasnt looking for speed. It has unequal length headers and sounds real lopey, only thing i dont like that i might change. Liked the looks of it. Defenitley underpowered even with a full header back exhaust and a stage 2 tune. It has a e85 tune on the programmer that i would like to try.

Hmm, that is intriguing. I may look into this. Although I wonder if the gear sets were redesigned.

the 1st-4th gears on the mazda 3 trans use dual synchros, if swapped in with the selector hubs they drop right in, my Bj protege G-series is fitted with the mazda 3 complete shaft assemblies with 626 5th gear set so I can confirm compatibility.

the 1st-4th gears on the mazda 3 trans use dual synchros, if swapped in with the selector hubs they drop right in, my Bj protege G-series is fitted with the mazda 3 complete shaft assemblies with 626 5th gear set so I can confirm compatibility.
I may be pulling an MZ3 trans from the JY then, definitely would like to upgrade the gear sets and that is much cheaper than an MFactory or PAR set.

Wasnt looking for speed. It has unequal length headers and sounds real lopey, only thing i dont like that i might change. Liked the looks of it. Defenitley underpowered even with a full header back exhaust and a stage 2 tune. It has a e85 tune on the programmer that i would like to try.

The motors are pretty high strung, you won't be able to get a lot more out of it without doing forced induction. They can make good power with FI though, I wonder if the DIT WRX turbo setup will fit?

I may be pulling an MZ3 trans from the JY then, definitely would like to upgrade the gear sets and that is much cheaper than an MFactory or PAR set

I forgot to mention that I also used the Mazda 3 final drive which is slightly shorter, to retain the protege final drive just swap the gears from the mazda 3 pinion shaft to the protege pinion shaft.

Latest posts

Back