Alamo1's Forged Engine Build

That is one good looking engine man, how much boost do you plan do run? Is the trans stock? I took the easy way out and bought a used forged engine, swapping it right now and working on it when I have time (which is rare)

Thanks. Start at 7-10 for break in. I fiddled with the actuator so in not sure what baseline would be. I have a GT2871R to swap on after break in is done and I think I'll attempt to find out what the top end of my 440 injectors will be and go from there. Ultimate goal is ~300whp.

Trans has welded msp LSD and Ferdi plate. (Hydra)

Lower rad hose and clamps are stock. Metal spring clamp did fine before.

Yeah. The markups are steep comapred to online prices but I don't ever mind paying more when the place is local and they'll give customer support. You could try to talk Dave down a bit but it might not change much. You could also say Tom sent you and that they'd give you a deal, and see what he says for price.

Last edited:
I mean the P clamp you have holding your bent tube into the water neck. Not the thermostat housing.

Worked till the crack of dawn last night. Trying to get the engine in the car Saturday morning.

Fabbed the water lines Ive been pretengineering. I am really happy with the turnout, except maybe the connection from block to oil cooler (really close to the alternator). Used the ezbend copper brake line, 5/16 OD, and some brass compression tees and fittings that crappy tire (Canadian Tire for the American followers) carries. I used this and 5/16 heater hose as this is the size of all on the spigots that come off the stock pipes. Everything fits really nice and a lot cheaper than buying all of the stock MSP tubes. Got everything else bolted on that I possibly could.

I love what you did with the turbo water feed line

Sent from my HTC Desire 626s using Tapatalk

I mean the P clamp you have holding your bent tube into the water neck. Not the thermostat housing.
Gotcha!! Good catch!

Nylon 6.6 has a working temp of 125c. My water temps have never exceeded 96 even at the hottest point where the upper rad hose feeds the rad.

I'll keep an eye on it.

I love what you did with the turbo water feed line

Thanks. It's about as close to stock msp routing as its gonna get without shelling out a ton of cash.

Last edited:
Spent a bit of my morning putting it in. Only got the mounts sinched down but the rest is down hill.

It's alive!!! Got it going yesterday. There was a bit of particulates in the oil/filter after the initial startup. I'll post some pics in a couple days.

I hadn't heard of it before but it looks pretty cool. I may just have to book that off kid duty to attend.

I wish i had a car that would be worthy of entering into the show…

Did a bit of break in tonight, up and down the cochrane hill to get max vacuum and a few light pulls. I want to hammer on it since it's been so long but I know that probably wouldn't be good for it. I plan to take it to school tomorrow and get a few more miles on the engine.

Last edited:
I hadn't heard of it before but it looks pretty cool. I may just have to book that off kid duty to attend.

I wish i had a car that would be worthy of entering into the show…

Did a bit of break in tonight, up and down the cochrane hill to get max vacuum and a few light pulls. I want to hammer on it since it's been so long but I know that probably wouldn't be good for it. I plan to take it to school tomorrow and get a few more miles on the engine.
Remember to vary your rmps and let the engine slow you down when possible. Let the rings brake in both ways. Also vary your rpms.

Thanks for the encouragement. I'm on it! :)

On another note, I got to school this morning and was trying to careful but ended up scraping the exhaust on a huge speed bump. Pretty much directly after that I heard the exhaust get louder and leaky sounding. I stessed about it all the way till lunch. I figured it'd have to go back up on jack stands yet again. A class mate wanted to see it so we went out and I popped the hood and started it up. The noise was quite a bit louder with the hood up so I figured the worst.... Cracked manifold. So I stuck my hand in and around the shroud to see if I could feel where it was coming from. I found it. It felt like I had lost a whole chunk of cast iron but when I looked closer the stupid EGR bung had spit out the plug. Luckily it's such a rats nest on top of the turbo cuz it was just sitting there on the wastegate. I grabbed a wrench from the shop at school and popped it back in. Easiest fix I've done yet.

Update, as requested. Sorry, no new pics right now. Any views requested would force me to snap some...

Had a little hiccup not this past Wednesday but the one before. Car acted funny up the big hill on the way to Cub Scouts (I'm the volunteer Cubmaster). Was breaking up at high revs: i.e.; tach fluctuations, hesitation the whole bit. So I eased off and got to cubs. Looked at it there and couldn't find any issues. It idled fine so I went on with my nightly business and on the way home it died down the hill. I had a buddy in his suv come and tow me home because I couldn't find the problem.

After being mad at it and leaving it for more than a week, I looked into it yesterday and it was the crank sensor plug that had somehow come loose. I was sure I had checked the connection right when it died but I guess not close enough.

Problem solved.

Since she's got about 600km on the new motor I jacked up the boost to about 15psi and she rips. No bad torque steer yet but she has a hard time keepin the boots on the ground in 1st and 2nd. I'm quite happy with the power right now. It's sharp, responsive, and feels strong through the powerband.

Some issues I need to deal with;
- urethane mounts all around are starting to grate on me. Haven't decided what I'll do but the vibrations are not helping me want to drive the car.
- had to shoehorn the lower intake coupler against the stock main fan shroud. Need to get a slim fan and make a shroud for it.
- not quite sure about the limits of my 440cc injectors. I'm pretty sure I'm going to hit a wall soon when I feel the need for a bigger hit of boost. 15psi probably won't cut it till the end of the summer.

Any suggestions for the above would be greatly appreciated.

You will run out of room on the 440's pretty quick. What's your INJ duty cycle at 15psi?

The STi 575's are drop in. Depending on your boost goals though, you can pick up some decent headroom with an aftermarket FPR and an upgraded rail.

Microtech doesn't give duty cycle percentages as a display. I'm not sure what the max pulse width would be either. I do know I haven't hit a fuel shortage viewed through the wideband.

I've looked online for specs on what max pulsewidth would be, but can't find anything.

Because pulse width will change depending on load and engine RPM. Are you running sequential injection, batch fire, or multi point?

As the RPM increases, the time between injector pulses will become less and less as they need to fire more frequently. Once you hit about 80% you're pretty much maxed out for two reasons. One, your fuel system probably won't be able to cope with that much of a pressure drop even with a high flow pump, and two, you can easily overheat your injectors. The coil inside the injector is quite powerful and can get HOT if it's energized all the time.

LT10s runs sequential. I'm guessing there is no way to find out what the duty cycle would be without a different ecu??

If you can log the actual pulsewidth of the injectors, you could figure it out, but it'd be a lot of math. It's a moot point anyways. Those 440's are gonna run out of room on a stock fuel system right around 15psi of boost.

Just did a bit of logging this morning and thus far I'm only at about 45%IDC. I think I've got a bit more room to play. I'm sure that number will jump exponentially as I increase the boost.

So...

I've run into another problem. I can't fill my gas tank. Pump cuts out as if the fuel is backing up in the full pipe!?!

Any suggestions?

Back