MS6 Beginner Upgrades

ColeVielhak

:
2006 Mazdaspeed 6 GT
Hey Guys,
I'm just wondering what all you guys have done to get some more speed out of your MS6!
I just bought mine about a week ago, and I'm just curious what upgrades you all started with just to give her that little bit of extra oomph.
Mine is a 06 Mazdaspeed 6 GT
Obviously theres the cold air intake, bypass and blowoff valves etc, but what recommendations do you all have?
Thanks!
Cole

Hey mate,

I'm in a similar position, almost ready to do the beginner mods. I've been lurking on this forum and a few other for ages so I'll try to give you the run down:

POWER

1. Catbacks are a waste of time in terms of performance, they just make your car louder. The stock mufflers are really good.

2. Downpipes are a great upgrade. Some mechanics will struggle (for 8 hours or 3 days) removing your stock downpipe as you can get seized bolts, so find one who knows what he's doing. Corksport and CP-e both do a good catted downpipe.

3. If you're doing even minor mods, you really should upgrade your fuel pump. The stock fuel pump is great for a stock car but begins to struggle even with minor HP improvements.

4. If you do downpipe, high pressure fuel pump, get a tune!

5. TMIC upgrades are very tempting because they seem like a good idea. They might give you the feeling of a 'smoother' power curve but it also might just be in your head. They definitely make things run cooler though. Whether that give you any non-power related benefits I'm not sure.

HANDLING

1. Get new rear engine mounts. I understand the stock ones are prone to failure. Some new engine mounts give your car too much vibration, noise, harshness (there's an acronym for that, VNR, or NVR I can't remember). I think new engine mounts might reduce how much the car rears up at the front end when taking off which would be nice. (I'm really vague on this point please correct me, someone!)

2. Your car is too high. If you slam it with stock springs your stock shocks will be destroyed in 6 months, or 6 days. Bilstein B8 shocks are apparently amazing and pair very well with eibach springs, H&R springs, King Springs, even corksport springs. It's very hard to get an impression of how low your car will be with any of these combinations. I think they will be quite low.

3. If you think "well, if I'm going to have to replace springs and shocks anyway, I may as well just buy coilovers" you will be able to set the height to your preference. But you need to spend a lot to get a decent set. H&R coilovers are the only set that get positive reviews by everyone. They are also designed for the MS6

4. Get a rear sway bar.

P.S. Again, I'm a newb, keen to be corrected by the pros, just trying to help!

Last edited:
Back