Are there paddle shifters for Mazda 2s?

killbox

:
2012 Mazda 2 Touring
I don't know about you guys but I love driving my M2 but it kinda lacks the hatchback feel. As my country doesn't sell manual M2s, I kinda want paddle shifters on it for a more hothatch feel. Do you guys have paddle shifters on your Mazda 2s or at least know where to get them?

weirdly, I did a bit of 'research' and found that models from New Zealand actually has M2s with paddle shifters or are those buttons for something else?
http://www.trademe.co.nz/motors/cars/mazda/auction-898508740.htm

388231260.jpg
388231273.jpg

Certain markets had them, but you would need a swap of everything from the steering wheel and clock spring to wiring harness, transmission, and computer. It would probably be cheaper to import one to be honest.

The standard 4-speed auto never even came with a manual mode at the shifter, so it's not equipped for any sort of manual shifting in general. They sold the Demio in Japan (not sure if in other markets) with an optional 7-speed 'sport' CVT. Those had paddles, and some seem to have included a manual mode* on the automatic shifter in addition to the steering wheel controls. They're weird paddles, though. There were two on the back of the steering wheel that would shift up and two buttons on the front for shifting down. I guess so you could use either hand you wanted for up and downshifting. They're similar to the paddles/buttons on the automatic NC MX-5 steering wheel.

ncint7.jpg

In short, you'd need a car equipped for it, or ALL of those parts. You'd need the CVT gearbox, the electronics, the shifter/console, steering wheel, etc. It's easier to just have the whole car. Paddles wouldn't really do much for the standard 4-speed auto anyway.

For fun, though, here's a 0-100km+ run in a 7-speed CVT Demio.

*edit*

Here's an example of the automatic shifter with manual mode.

p1.jpg

*edit edit*

Apparently that shifter assembly is from a Mini Cooper and grafted into the Demio console. Not sure if it's functional or not.

Last edited:
I'm from NZ I can confirm they exist... I'm looking at trading in my 5 speed manual Demio for one of the shifter pad models!

The Skyactiv Demio DJ can get paddles even if stock options did not. I did a DIY w/ paddle & harness part numbers shared by the Sky 3s & CXs...
Custom adapter to take shifters...

Paddles now... active

Back