Dash Cam Installation -- How is everyone hiding their cables and wires?

:
DE GX
Looking to DIY a dash cam on the 2 to protect myself from other idiots on the road. But I'd like to do a clean install that hides the wires relatively well, so I am wondering if there are any experts here who have done similar work, and is able to point me to the right direction in terms of everything that might be involved.

liners, trim removal, tapping into a power source, etc.

Many thanks in advance.

i haven't done an installation but i know a few points that may help you.

At the front center of the headliner there is a small cutout to run wires in, utilizing that you should be able to run a wire from there, to the a pillar, and then down to the fuse box completely hidden.

For power i would use a "add-a-fuse" type product to piggyback off 12v switched power.
example: https://www.amazon.com/dp/ (commissions earned)

Dash cam normally comes with battery. Unless you want to charge it all the time, you don't need to hide the cables. But if you want to, molex7 has showed you the way.

I just let mines hang off from the camera itself. I do need to try and conceal it, wires hanging down is just messy.

I just installed one the other day and it really couldn't be easier. The headliner has plenty of room to tuck wires in, so just hide them in there until you get to the A pillar. Then guide the wire across the seam where the side airbag cover is until you get to the door frame. There is a rubber seal that runs along the entire frame that you can also tuck the wire into quite easily. Do this as far as you can and then pass the wire underneath the floor mats and on the other side it will come out to plug into the 12V socket.

widscxJ.jpg

After numerous delays, I am happy to report that I have finally installed a dashcam in my 2. It is pretty much like what ScorpioGTX1 and molex7 says -- the job is very easy, even for someone with minimal mechanical aptitude. In particular, after tucking the wire through the cutout in the front center of the headliner (as pointed out by molex7), I followed the majority of what ScorpioGTX1 did as well:

The headliner has plenty of room to tuck wires in, so just hide them in there until you get to the A pillar. Then guide the wire across the seam where the side airbag cover is until you get to the door frame. There is a rubber seal that runs along the entire frame that you can also tuck the wire into quite easily. Do this as far as you can...

After the wire went down the A pillar, I ran it through the back of the glove box to hide the wire. The last little bit was done along the bottom of the center console before the power adapter plugs into the 12V outlet.

Here is a picture of the pryed out A pillar trim piece:

DDHgSDFA7DrQQG3_xARh40nxcdG6qyqihGlXkvJ24TeLKQfLDf  OWwq4-hZnh6dJKfFY9RZGMHPcYx2drqIvb8mY8G2dJTKUUMV4GxBkbF6  eoWddzkFII29RrgrHG6E8uZkxhDVJFRDb0W8BaKFTtw75eqOqD  zDv93-USvAgtq0p73N0WC9ad1Gsk-NEj6I-6lPrAMG_uR4YuqK4A3vGmCToo1pTMGlkbkqqBICOK7jjxrTfFk  do2c2fVGNp2qmHErlP6At4Z874tH5UtY7_L2gQX2QxotFfCgjQ  mNksLABN_5igka_NCFRfuOkmUSIZNYr63p1VkULHbz6hXvL_hq  GrJgjF5PG1ai4UxIE-BL1bGkkbXmh2ibyLdyUy85DmnUAW_ayIwcNSN4cN3kqAtWDu1R  qZeJM8p12QhcFiKXUVdFXeV06d45BlszPnG2h3b-_tHFXrvyl-9z-UUYZSUCP2Jfc2HF_dpcXp2dgtUrF-mTUuiENmED5xrL2hlheGmfSMlmQtJMGITQ_ELYfOkbQDd524U-VAX6BqkyIVS3Rr-_7eTtxFgl7-fmXNNsHQSP3m0Mbi5FlFW1R47ULsJgXZV4AuRGa8u=w800-h450-no

and a short (and horribly recorded) video describing how I hid the wire. My apologies to those who have decided to watch it.

Back