$3.98 trick to reduce wind noise and make passenger cabin quieter

avidien

Contributor
:
2013 CX-9 Touring
Hi guys,

I noticed lately during this summer a huge increase in wind noise when driving on the highway.

Also, noticed I had to increase the volume of the radio to drown out the noise from outside.

I took it to my buddy's shop expecting him to say I needed to replace all my door/frame seals.

But he said no need, just clean and moisturize the rubber seals with Meguiar's Natural Shine Protectant,
the dry weather and dust is preventing the rubber to seal properly and letting noise in.

I was really skeptical and told him to lay off the crack pipe (stoned) and said how will that help reduce the noise??

He laughed and said just try it, so I went to Wal-mart and it was on sale for $3.98,
I said what the heck, what do I have to lose except $3.98.....

I ran the Meguiar's protectant all along the door AND frame seals on all four doors then wiped it with a microfiber towel, while I was doing this I noticed how dirty, dusty and dry the rubber seals were, and thinking to myself maybe my buddy does know what he's talking about...

Anyway, after doing the procedure , I WAS SHOCKED ! there's definitely a noticeable reduction in noise and eliminated
the wind noise I was hearing. Also noticed how the dried rubber seals looked brand new again after cleaning and moisturizing them.

Don't expect it to be Rolls Royce quiet but it was like when I picked up the car for the first time "brand new car quiet" and boy the Bose system never sounded better.

Anyway, just thought I share this with the fellow members, if anything it's still a good preventative care to keep the seals from dry rot and cracking.

NOTE: DON'T use WD-40, just stick with the Meguiar's Natural Shine

I found a YouTube video online showing the same thing but he used a silicone lubricant,
I find the Meguiar's to be better and easier to apply

Last edited:
Wish I knew this when I had my 2008. Left ear nearly went deaf from all the road and wind noise. My 2015 seems quieter but that may be the point - new clean weather stripping. Recently my driver window would auto up but would back down a notch or two. Wouldn't always stay up. Dealer suggested cleaning the upper channel. It did sound tight. Anyway it stopped that and stays up. I will try the Meguiars there too.

thanks

I use gummi pflege for all the weather stripping. It also helps in the winter preventing the doors to stick shut.

Sent from my LGLS990 using Tapatalk

Back