How is Mazda 3?

:
2017 CX5 GS, 2018 X3 xDrive30i, 2019 Tesla Model 3
My lease has about a year left. I like good mpg.
Mazda 3 gets better mpg so I am thinking maybe I will lease a 3 next time.
I like how the cx5 sits higher and provides better view of the road but I think I will also enjoy extra 5+mpg.
How is mazda3? Is the size and higher sitting about the only advantage cx5 has over Mazda 3?

if you like sitting higher, but want better mileage and awd, get a cx3.

I also have a 2014 mazda 3 2.0l manual transmission along with my GT awd 2.5l

for the same commute to work I avergage 9.4L/100km in the cx5 and 6.4L/100km in the mazda 3.
this is driving the same way, in my case I like spirited driving (accelerating fast and keeping a higher top speed than speed limits suggest) So in both cases, I could get better mileage if I just drove slower.

I am guessing that a cx3 will be right in the middle of this due to extra weight from awd (unless you opt for fwd).
It will be smaller inside than the mazda 3 since its on the mazda 2 platform, but if you don't need the extra space it could be a good way to get good mileage and a higher sitting position than a mazda 3.

The Mazda3 (hatch) was a bit too cramped in the rear as I use a rear facing baby seat. Even the 2.0L auto was zippy and the car itself handles really well. It should get better mpgs. If only the rear had more rear space I would've gotten it. What you're going to miss is the higher driver visibility, the HID lights are propped at a higher level, loading stuff into trunk is easier, and better rear seat room of the CX-5.

I eventually got the 2016 Mazda6 as my wife drives the CX-5.

The CX-3 I believe is on a lifted Mazda2 platform. If so then interior space maybe less than the Mazda3 hatch.

Doesn't the 3 come in sedan form as well?

Yes but not as practical as the estate variant IMHO.

To OP - Previously owned a 2009 M3 GT hatch and is was blast to drive but not as spacious as the CX-5. If possible get an extended test drive before making your decision.

This is an interesting topic. For one the CX-5 is based of the mazda3 platform and yet has more room then the Mazda3. The CX-3 is based off the Mazda2 platform and I suspect it's going to have more room as well then the Mazda2. Will it have as much room as the mazda3, don't know yet. I suspect it is going to be similar in size to the mazda3 5-door. At least it should feel that way, the numbers, when they come out, may tell a different story.

This is an interesting topic. For one the CX-5 is based of the mazda3 platform and yet has more room then the Mazda3.

I always thought that CX-5 was not based on any other mazda and it was a new platform developed from the scratch, planned to spawn next mazda3 and mazda6 models: http://www.motorauthority.com/news/1070654_mazda-cx-5-platform-to-spawn-next-gen-mazda6-and-mazda3

What makes you think that CX-5 is based on mazda3? (hopefully not Escape being based on Focus)

We own both vehicles.
The Mazda 3's road handling is definitely better and it is a lot of fun to drive. The 2L + 6AT is a very good combination.
The sedan has 12.4 cubic feet of cargo, compared with 20.2 in the hatchback, which also looks better and has more utility. It now shares the same infotainment system with the CX-5 (and 6).
The downsides of the 3 are door opening for the back seat is a little tight and the back seat is a bit low. While there is definitely more space in the CX-5, the 3's is not too tight, especially for average height people or kids. In addition, there is more road noise, especially from the tires. While you drive lower to the ground (which is better in my book), visibility is very good.

The CX-5 has 34.1 of cargo volume, more spacious back seat, though the door opening is still not ideal. While it handles very good for a CUV, it is definitely not as good as the 3. However, it has a better ride quality and less road noise but a little more wind noise. Obviously, it gets less miles to the gallon, being heavier and with larger frontal area and more drag.

There is not much info on the CX-3, but I suspect it will be even worse in the back seat and cargo area. It's going to be 7.3 inches shorter than the Mazda 3. Not sure about ride and handling, as it might be slightly lighter than the 3. It is definitely slower than the 3.

Last edited:
I just noticed in pic at link... Did European models get headlight washers too? All the toys go elsewhere :)
We also get headlight washers - on the cover picture of owner's manual! (whistle)

In EU, if you have HID or LED headlights, you have to have auto leveling and headlight washers by law. Not here, hence eliminated by Mazda to save cost. I still miss the memory seat available in Europe、Japan and Australia!

In EU, if you have HID or LED headlights, you have to have auto leveling and headlight washers by law. Not here, hence eliminated by Mazda to save cost. I still miss the memory seat available in Europe、Japan and Australia!

+1 on the memory seat!!! That would be nice. Just a few features of my Infiniti that I miss in the CX.... also memory mirrors & steering column adjustment..

Yeah my wife loves the memory seats linked to each key fob in our CX5, as my key moves the seat to my prefered position upon car unlocking and to her prefered seating position for her key.

+1 on the memory seat!!! That would be nice. Just a few features of my Infiniti that I miss in the CX.... also memory mirrors & steering column adjustment..
Yeah my wife loves the memory seats linked to each key fob in our CX5, as my key moves the seat to my prefered position upon car unlocking and to her prefered seating position for her key.
Yeah it's difficult to find a preferred seating position within a short period of time after you start your engine. Not to mention adjusting outside mirrors and steering wheel. I can understand unless you have power steering wheel adjustment, there is no way you can memorize the position. But I've heard CX-5 doesn't memorize outside mirrors position with memory seat feature like CX-9 does - another cost cutting by Mazda. I was amazed that there are so few people complaining about lack of memory seat in NA version CX-5. I guess most CX-5's here have only one driver? Or drivers on each CX-5 have the same size? (uhm)

I like manual seat. I take a nap in my car at work everyday. And reclining takes less than a second.

I also own both.

Love my wife's CX-5 to death. Totally gutless, but been my favorite car I've ever owned. And it's great so far with the little one we just welcomed to the family 6 weeks ago.

The 3 is a totally different animal in the fun department. Not even comperable. The CX-5 is a wonderfully engaging and rewarding family hauler, but the new 3 really offers a great driving experience. I bought a hatch, 6 speed GT with the 2.5l engine. Not fast by any means, but pretty spunky. But, it's a road hugger. In fact, it's the best handling car I've ever owned. I haven't had much of a chance to put it through its paces yet. I don't drive it much. But, so far it's enjoyable.

Now, when it comes to hauling my newborn around, no way no how. It's a PITA with a rear facing seat, compared to my wife's CX-5. Cargo is way more generous as well. I'll choose it the CX-5 for our outings every time. I find the CX-5 to be quieter and feature a bit more refinement as well.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

Back