suspension upgrades (koni)

kms1990

:
2011 mazda 3 hatchback GT
i am looking at suspension upgrades for my soon to be needed repair (74k miles, want to change them within the year as the rears have some rust spots and appear to be close to going) i have a question about koni struts for the 04-09 mazda 3 hatchback (mines an 08)is the str.t set (orange koni set) with struts and springs at $519 for all 4 struts and springs a good deal? and are the orange konis worth it?

or should i get the yellow ones for $220 more for the set? i do not plan to autocross at all, as there are no good tracks near me.nor do i really need an adjustable strut but is that price worth just doing it? i just want a car that i can throw into the turns and have fun with. already got good tires now i need the suspension next as thats an easy upgrade you see your money's worth out of instantly and easily.

i also see corksport has some good looking struts at $500 for the set. i was already considering their strut tower bar has anyone used there parts and recommend them?
for those that say do engine mods, thats after i graduate in December and find a job that pays enough to get worth while mods.

Last edited:
As you may have read in my "Konis now available" post, I have the adjustables and Progress springs in my MX5. The biggest advantage to having adjustables is that you can tailor them to your typical travel's road conditions. If I lived in Connecticut or Mew York, for example, I'd probably leave the settings on full soft. But since I live in an area where there are very few pot holes, I can benefit by stiffening up the shocks. A Mazda Miata mechanic advised me to leave the rears at full soft and adjust the fronts a quarter turn. That proved to be excellent advice, as my car stays flatter when rapid transitions (side-to-side) are required. You can adjust the stiffness in one direction only but that is all you need.

Once you upgrade your suspension, you may want to lighten up your wheels for faster acceleration, shorter braking, and a smoother ride.

I have the same question for my '10. Corksport? Bilstein? Koni? What's the best bang for the buck?

I like the adjustability that makes Koni shocks a step above most others, and while they are a step below some coilovers, the cost savings is very nice. Quality-wise, I'd place them up there with Bilsteins.

Side note: The 2 favorite dampeners as per lots of Miata (NC2) owners are Ohlins and Konis.

Hurry up bro. :p A friend of mine who is a suspension guru said Koni Oranges are great, and better than GR2's, which I found for $380 shipped. Hmmm.

I had KYB G2s on my old MX6 GT. They were very comfortable (Lexus-like) but cannot be adjusted for added firmness. Still, the price was low.

I had KYB G2s on my old MX6 GT. They were very comfortable (Lexus-like) but cannot be adjusted for added firmness. Still, the price was low.
I have a problem with the roads in Miami. Pot holes, uneven lanes all that good stuff. The fact that I have 1.5" lowering springs (ebay) and worn out shocks is a bad combo.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

We call that " BSSC" or Bump Stop Slam City.��

Back