What was that useless little "storage" space originally used for???

Krul1

:
2016 CX5 touring
I have a 2016 Touring,could someone tell me what the little cutout to the left of the stearing wheel was originally used for? It has no cover and it is not really useful for storage. was it used on earlier models?, for something that I do not have on my "16"
Thanks for the replies...

For North America it was an option for the TomTom navigation unit's SD card slot. It has a horizontal slide cover to keep the slot protected. Otherwise it was supposed to be a coin holder.

Can't think of anything it could used for either... if it at least had a door on it.

It looks like this in the Mazda 6. I'm guessing the door was dropped from the CX-5 in keeping with the Skyactiv philosophy /sarcasm.
Kind of looks like the shape of they cubby in the 6 is different from the CX-5.

2014_mazda_6_det_ft_405131_717.jpg
2014_mazda_6_sedan_i-sport_dtw_evox_1_717.jpg

Sort of like an appendix. It had a use at one time, but none now.
Good for half a credit card or a peanut.

It looks like this in the Mazda 6. I'm guessing the door was dropped from the CX-5 in keeping with the Skyactiv philosophy /sarcasm.
Kind of looks like the shape of they cubby in the 6 is different from the CX-5.

2014_mazda_6_det_ft_405131_717.jpg
2014_mazda_6_sedan_i-sport_dtw_evox_1_717.jpg
Another proof that Mazda has categorized CX-5 as one level below the Mazda6!

Seriously, my wife has left many coins in there without any problems. It's also advertised in other countries as a coin holder (without a door)!

Get one of those little sticky pads that hold onto stuff and cut it to size for the little cubby. At least then a few coins you put in there won't fly out under hard acceleration. Otherwise I have no idea what that thing is meant to hold. Too small for wallet of phone.

Back