Looking at the 2.0 2016 Manual Transmission info please

silverevo05

:
Mazda CX 5 2.0 Manual
Hi All

First post here and instead of searching all day I hope to get some helpful insight.

I'm looking to purchase a 2016 CX5 2.0 Manual transmission. What are some of the know issues with it (weakish engine, seat cloth etc (auto seems to have some trans fluid leaks)) and common mods (i.e. springs) and issues with them.

I'm looking to get Eibach prokit springs (I know I have to get it shipped from Europe & not a fan of too low), hitch, mudflaps, JDM headrests, tint, hood protector etc.

I dislike that I miss out on the Silver dash trim, 40 20 40 seats, Leather steering wheel, and other Touring options just because I want a manual (notcool)

Thanks for the info (2thumbs)

CX-5 Sport SkyActiv 2.0L with 6-speed manual transmission is an excellent choice if you insist to drive a stick shift. The transmission is slick and reliable just like MX-5 Miata. You lose some nice features from basic trim level as you'd pointed out, but still it'll be the best stick-shift CUV you can find in the US as unfortunately automakers believe manual transmission has no market here. MikeM. has a 2013 CX-5 2.0L with 6-speed manual and hope he'll chime in for his real-world experience and opinion.

I have OEM mud flaps and believe they serve the purpose. JDM rear headrests will be expensive and hard to get.

Any gear shift problems? I've test driven 2 at two different dealerships and 1 had trouble going into third and the other going into fourth...

In addition to the top I also wish we wouldn't be relegated to 4 speakers instead of the 6. Where are the other 2 missing from?

Thanks yrwei52

any additional info would be great. I am all but sold on this car as I have driven the honda HRV and dislike the noisy engine, cloth on doors, door handles on c pillar and odd 3 vents on the passenger side. I also cant stand the look of the subi crosstrek though it did win a comparison just recently.

Any gear shift problems? I've test driven 2 at two different dealerships and 1 had trouble going into third and the other going into fourth...
That's really strange. From what I read from many reviews the SkyActiv 6-speed manual transmission is excellent. Have not seen any issues on this forum either.

In addition to the top I also wish we wouldn't be relegated to 4 speakers instead of the 6. Where are the other 2 missing from?
I have Bose system which has 9 speakers. 3 on the front dash panel, 2 on the front doors, 2 on the rear doors, and 2 on the rear quarter panels. I'd imagine for basic 4-speaker setup on Sport, they'd be mounted at all 4 doors. Audio system on Touring may have 6 speakers and the two additional speakers should be on the dash subtracting the middle one.

any additional info would be great. I am all but sold on this car as I have driven the honda HRV and dislike the noisy engine, cloth on doors, door handles on c pillar and odd 3 vents on the passenger side. I also cant stand the look of the subi crosstrek though it did win a comparison just recently.
Subie may have oil burning issue on its 2.5l H4 and 3.6L H6 according to recent Consumer Reports article. Honda is falling behind on technology development, quality, and reliability comparing to other Japanese and Korean automakers. Honda is not the old Honda anymore IMHO.

The only difference between the four and six speaker system is that the six speaker system has two tweeters in the dash. You can buy these tweeters from the parts dept and install them yourself. The holes and wiring are already there so they are plug and play.

I had a sport and now have a touring. My sport was an auto but I did spend an hour driving the manual and I found the auto to feel more responsive/quicker. The manual is also noisier too and these SUV's are already loud compared to the competition.

Ps, test drive the 2.5 and you may want it enough to spend the extra money. You can also get a Mazda 6 manual with the excellent 2.5, which also get better gas mileage by a lot.

I have the manual in my 2015 3. In the first few months it would hang up between 3rd and 4th every now and then but it rarely does it now.
It's the best shifting manual I've ever driven (my old 2004 rx8 is a close 2nd)

Sent from my Z30 using Tapatalk 2

Ps, test drive the 2.5 and you may want it enough to spend the extra money. You can also get a Mazda 6 manual with the excellent 2.5, which also get better gas mileage by a lot.

It's definitely not a money thing, I just really want a manual. All except 2 cars I've had have been auto and I was bored to death in them but manuals were a tacoma, accord, is300, 3 evo's, xb, and 2 more evo's (I still have 1 in the garage) BUT until my knees give out I want a manual and out of my limited options I really have liked the CX5 just wish I could get the rear seats and 2.5

The only difference between the four and six speaker system is that the six speaker system has two tweeters in the dash. You can buy these tweeters from the parts dept and install them yourself. The holes and wiring are already there so they are plug and play.

I had a sport and now have a touring. My sport was an auto but I did spend an hour driving the manual and I found the auto to feel more responsive/quicker. The manual is also noisier too and these SUV's are already loud compared to the competition.

Thats great info thanks

Are the hoods still shaking even on the 16's? and any info on where are the best place besides ebay to buy accessories?

I notice alot do the h&r springs, any problems with the eibach pro kits? (other than only doing a mild drop)

It's definitely not a money thing, I just really want a manual. All except 2 cars I've had have been auto and I was bored to death in them but manuals were a tacoma, accord, is300, 3 evo's, xb, and 2 more evo's (I still have 1 in the garage) BUT until my knees give out I want a manual and out of my limited options I really have liked the CX5 just wish I could get the rear seats and 2.5

Same here. I would have bought long ago if a mid-level trim MT-6 were available, but I keep holding out hoping more a better equipped model.
I did drive a 2016, it was quieter than the earlier models.

Did you test drive the manual Mazda 6? With the Mazda 6 you get more options, a 2.5 liter engine, and the stick for the same money. The Mazda 6 is a better deal all around than the CX5 if you don't really need the utility of the CX5. Small CUV's are really the modern station wagons of today and are not the best performance platforms if that is what your intentions are. The only reason why I even purchased a CX5 was because I'm so tall that I cannot fit into the Mazda 6 without my head rubbing against the headliner and I use its cargo hatch to haul some pretty large items for the family. I'm pretty much limited to SUV's and Trucks although years ago I never had this problem because sedans used to have higher roofs. I even fit into an 88 Pontiac Fiero with room to spare above my head.

Because small SUV's are so hot now, manufacturers are putting less options into them than their sedan counterparts and charging more money for them because they can. To top this off a sedan like the Mazda 6, of which the CX5 shares most of its parts with, is better in every way than an SUV like the CX5. It handles better, gets better gas mileage, is lighter, is faster, is quieter, has better handling, is cheaper to insure and operate, and as I mentioned before you get more tech and options for the same money. My brother in law has the Mazda 6 sedan and its trunk is amazingly huge too + the middle back seat folds down for those longer items. So to cap this off unless you actually need the added height of the hatch style small SUV or for some strange reason you prefer a tall rounded box shape over the sleeker shape of the sedan than there is no reason why anyone should purchase the CX5 over the Mazda 6!

The reason I got a CX-5 is mostly for its AWD but also the usable cargo space. I don't care about all the options, but I do care about road handling and fuel economy. That is also why I got a CX-5 and not some other crossover.

Americans don't buy wagons, foolishly I'd say. Except for the Impreza, even Subaru does not sell un-raised wagons anymore (they do in Japan, Europe). The day a Mazda 6 with the utility of a CX-5 cargo area and AWD will be available, I'll be a happy man.

The reason I am interested in the cx5 is that I currently have a scion xb (1st gen) and I run a business. I have fit a washer then a dryer then another washer then 2 50 inch tv's in the back. When we go to the drive in movies we can open the hatch and enjoy the air and still be comfortable inside.

There are just to many benefits (in my case) and if they would have brought over the jdm manual xb instead of the usdm they offer now, i would have been all over that.

Hi All

First post here and instead of searching all day I hope to get some helpful insight.

I'm looking to purchase a 2016 CX5 2.0 Manual transmission. What are some of the know issues with it (weakish engine, seat cloth etc (auto seems to have some trans fluid leaks)) and common mods (i.e. springs) and issues with them.

I'm looking to get Eibach prokit springs (I know I have to get it shipped from Europe & not a fan of too low), hitch, mudflaps, JDM headrests, tint, hood protector etc.

I dislike that I miss out on the Silver dash trim, 40 20 40 seats, Leather steering wheel, and other Touring options just because I want a manual (notcool)

Thanks for the info (2thumbs)

I have CX5 manual version MY2015. At start I had few problems with the gearbox. Changing from first to second was not easy without syncronization problems. I had also difficulties to put gear third and fourth. gears were stiff. Now I have driven about 6000 kms and after the gearbox oilchange (warranty) gears are ok! But I am still a little bit disappointed with the gearbox of CX5!
Markku

Back