2008 s hatchback rear tire heel and toe wear

kms1990

:
2011 mazda 3 hatchback GT
as stated in title my rear tires have heel and toe wear (or a few flat spots) i recently purchased this car and so i do not know all its history, i do not think the prior owner rotated the tires much, if at all. when i got the rears rotated to the front i noticed a vibration afterword so i went back today and they found the heel toe wear issue on the ones that had been on the rear when i purchased the car. they balanced the vibration out, for the most part. however they are the exact brand and tire model i hated on my protege 5 (granted this car is heavier and has 17 inch tires where as protege 5 had 16) so they dont seem as squirrely under the car but i still think they are too hard for good handling and sporty feel like i like (they are yokohama yk580s) the tire guys showed me it was not severe yet however it will not "just wear out of the tire" or not for a long time anyway (it appears to run through at least a few 32nds of the tread) the tires are at about 7-8ish 32nds wear and the ones on the front had some inner and outer shoulder wear (as to be expected when not rotated) the alignment is good and it tracks straight

my question is should i get a new set of tires? (all 4) i do not like buying in pairs as i dont like mismatched tread even if all 4 tires are of same brand and model

and are bfgoodrich g-force comp2 a/s good tires to get if i should get new tires (if you have experience with them)

This is a classic case of non-rotated tires. Besides getting new tires (which I recommend), you might also consider getting a 4-wheel alignment if an alignment check indicates the need.
Regarding all-season tires: I assume you will be driving on snow or during cold weather, so you need A/S tires, so here's what I recommend:

Continental Extreme Contact DWS (excellent bang-for-the-buck) or for more money:

Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 3

For some reason, the BF Goodrich g-Force Super Sport A/S is not recommended by Consumer Reports, although it did come in 5th place out of 20 tires. The Goodyear Eagle F1 Asymmetric All Season tires came in 2nd place.and the Hankook Ventus S1 noble 2 came in 4th, right behind the Continentals.

This is a classic case of non-rotated tires. Besides getting new tires (which I recommend), you might also consider getting a 4-wheel alignment if an alignment check indicates the need.
Regarding all-season tires: I assume you will be driving on snow or during cold weather, so you need A/S tires, so here's what I recommend:

Continental Extreme Contact DWS (excellent bang-for-the-buck) or for more money:

Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 3

For some reason, the BF Goodrich g-Force Super Sport A/S is not recommended by Consumer Reports, although it did come in 5th place out of 20 tires. The Goodyear Eagle F1 Asymmetric All Season tires came in 2nd place.and the Hankook Ventus S1 noble 2 came in 4th, right behind the Continentals.

i like the pilot a/s 3s i had 2 sets on my protege 5 both were great. however $150 a tire is not in my current budget. i really wont be driving in snow as i live in texas and we get ice maybe once a year or less but i try not to drive in it. i need good wet and dry traction and i want something that will last a little bit, but handle good as well.the fronts have normal wear and appear to be in decent shape (no signs of misalignment wear)

Last edited:
well got the bfgoodrich tires $200 off a set of four so i took the deal, the car feels excellent now. i can tell the braking performance has increased significantly and its not vibrating at speed anymore.the braking feel is better on my way home there is a short exit ramp off the freeway that usually requires fast stops and the yokohamas made the car feel like it did not wanna slow. the bfgoodrich tires made the car come to a stop much sooner and firmer but not so hard that i felt like i was going to fly through the windshield.

I knew a set new tires would set you free. Yoko YKs are made specifically for Discount Tire. My daughter's Protg had them when I bought the car and they were good but not great tires. She now has Conti Extreme DWs - thus my comment in my sig about "...best handling stock cars..." Goodrich has always made great-handling tires and they're typically priced well.

I knew a set new tires would set you free. Yoko YKs are made specifically for Discount Tire. My daughter's Protg had them when I bought the car and they were good but not great tires. She now has Conti Extreme DWs - thus my comment in my sig about "...best handling stock cars..." Goodrich has always made great-handling tires and they're typically priced well.

i had some on my protege 5 and after a year i was driving in a small shower and a lady changed lanes in front of me and cut me off, as i hit the brakes and steered away from her the rear end came around and i did a 180 while going 36mph! the very next day i was at the tire store getting rid of them. the yk580s are too hard for the light protege and it does not have any wet grip with them. we shall see how the bfg's do on the 3.

Back