Bluetooth connection keeps failing on my new 2016 CX-5

PatriotJeff

:
None yet
I'm having all sorts of issues getting my bluetooth properly working on my new CX-5.

I have a Samsung Galaxy s6 Edge. I am pairing the devices. I am connecting them. But then it won't play. It won't play my Pandora or Stitcher at all, or if it does, I hear it through the phone even though I have media checked on the set up screen. Then if it does connect (doesn't always) will randomly disconnect for no reason and then refuse to connect.

New phone, new car, cannot be a tech compatibility issue. My work iphone connects slightly better but even that will arbitrarily disconnect (and frankly, I want and need my personal phone connected as I get unlimited data).

I've tried unpairing and repairing, no dice.

Anyone have any ideas? Ive had the car for two days, and I am a Stitcher and Pandora junkie....these are musts.

i use a moto X (2014) and have had no significant issues (i think it dropped the connection like 2 times in the last 3 months so that would be like 99% connection rate).

i would check to see if you have other wireless items that create interference or are trying to grab the bluetooth simultaenously. keep the phone away from the pocket/purse with your car key in it or other wireless devices. sometimes wireless signals can interefere. if that does not work, you may have a defective receiving unit in your CX-5.

just my amateur 2 cents.

Try taking to the dealer for firmware update. Current version is 55 and I'm betting yours is 51.

Try taking to the dealer for firmware update. Current version is 55 and I'm betting yours is 51.

+1, check the firmware and if it hasn't been updated, have the dealer do that first. That being said, I had my dealer do the 55.000 update, and I still have Bluetooth connectivity issues (Iphone6). Not as bad as before the update, but Mazda still has some work to do on that end to get it sorted. I used to rent cars about once a week for work, and there are some systems that you never have to think about (Nissan, Mercedes, even Hyundai) so I know it's possible to get it right.

I'd check firmware, as noted above.

Not sure if this has anything to do with it or not - just a similar experience. I had a '12 Acura TL a few years ago, and I had an iPhone 5. Used that phone with it all the time with no issues at all. When the Galaxy S4 came out I "test drove" it for 30 days at Verizon to see if I wanted to jump back over to the Androidverse (I like to go back and forth just to keep current with both platforms). I use Bluetooth to listen to podcasts in my car every day, and I'm in the car for at least 2 hours a day, so reliability is important to me. The S4 had connectivity issues with that car for the entire 2 weeks I could stand to use it. I would constantly have to go in to settings, disable the Bluetooth radio, and then re-enable it for it to reconnect to the car after the connection would drop. I ended up saying "screw this" and took it back for an iPhone 5S. Never had an issue with that car again.

I've only had my 2016 CX5 for 3 days with an iPhone 6+, but I've put around 350 "Bluetooth miles" on it and haven't had an issue. If the firmware version doesn't fix it, you might try a different Bluetooth device as a means of troubleshooting. Is your work phone a Samsung as well? You might try a device from a different manufacturer just to see if it makes any difference (Apple, LG, HTC, etc.)

This appears to be an old post, but perhaps some of you could help. I just purchased a 2016 CX-5 Touring 2 weeks ago, and I am experiencing the same issue (sudden and frequent lost of bluetooth connection). Wonder if anyone ever resolved the problem and whether anyone could share more on your experience with me.

I am using an iPhone 6s running iOS 9.2.1. The infotainment firmware is of version 55.00.750 NA N. I set up the pairing without any problem and I listen to Aha Radio most of the time. The car usually re-connects to my iPhone 6s via bluetooth and start playing Aha Radio when I get into the car, but minutes later, the bluetooth connection would often be lost. Sometimes I could re-connect by selecting a different audio source such as Pandora, but other times, I would have to disable bluebooth and re-enable it on my iPhone or restart my iPhone. This afternoon was the worst: I was driving using google map navigation on my iPhone when the bluetooth suddenly disconnected. I couldn't get it back until I reset my iPhone's network settings, reboot and then re-pair it. Yet minutes later, it lost connection again.

It's been quite frustrating and I would appreciate any advise anyone could share with me. Thanks in advance.

Last edited:
I've had two sofeware updates for BT issues, and just had the bluetooth/wifi connectivity module changed.

For the last 4 days its connected everytime. But i'm not holding my breath.

I love the system overall and the reconnect issues were minor until recently. Now, the phone won't reconnect at all. I restarted both the phone and the car. I'm headed our soon and I really hope it has just magically cleared up because I haven't learned any positive way to force the reconnection. My past issues included:
+Slow or no re-connection to Pandora
+Reconnect to my Audible book or Pandora required starting and stopping the playback on the device a time or two
+Phone would connect for calls even at the same time the Pandora or Audible (generic bluetooth connection) were struggling.
+Slow start up and connection. Irritating warning splash screen every time.

I'd love resolution and I can do my part in reporting issues and sharing permanent solutions, but my question for this group TODAY is: what work-arounds do people have success with to force a bluetooth re-connect?

2016 CX-5 GT here , bought in November. Have had constant BT connectivity issues since new, but , here's what's weird, Only with Pandora. AHA and Stitcher work perfectly , no issues at all. But Pandora May go five minutes without dropping, may go 20 minutes. Starting to suspect its a Apple IOS issue (Iphone 6S, IOS 9.2.1).

Since I had the blue tooth/wifi module replaced my phone has connected every time, so after two weeks I believe my issue is resolved.

Push for a replacement some of them are obviously faulty, or under performing. For the UK software version 56:100:511 also helps with the connection issues, so ask for the US version if its different to the UK, in Germany 56:100:512 is now available.

http://mazdacmuhacks.com/downloads/os/5600511aEU.pdf

2016 CX-5 GT here , bought in November. Have had constant BT connectivity issues since new, but , here's what's weird, Only with Pandora. AHA and Stitcher work perfectly , no issues at all. But Pandora May go five minutes without dropping, may go 20 minutes. Starting to suspect its a Apple IOS issue (Iphone 6S, IOS 9.2.1).

Firmware NA 55.00.753A appears to have changes for Pandora. Not sure what version you have, but perhaps upgrading to that version would be a first step?

I love the system overall and the reconnect issues were minor until recently. Now, the phone won't reconnect at all. I restarted both the phone and the car. I'm headed our soon and I really hope it has just magically cleared up because I haven't learned any positive way to force the reconnection. My past issues included:
+Slow or no re-connection to Pandora
+Reconnect to my Audible book or Pandora required starting and stopping the playback on the device a time or two
+Phone would connect for calls even at the same time the Pandora or Audible (generic bluetooth connection) were struggling.
+Slow start up and connection. Irritating warning splash screen every time.

I'd love resolution and I can do my part in reporting issues and sharing permanent solutions, but my question for this group TODAY is: what work-arounds do people have success with to force a bluetooth re-connect?

I usually try the followings in this sequence until reconnect: (1) disable and re-enable Bluetooth from the phone, (2) disconnect and reconnect the phone from the infotainment screen (settings->devices), (3) re-pair phone (delete from both phone and car and then pair them again), (4) reset network settings on the phone, restart phone, re-pair phone. (1) seems to work 80% of the time but i had to do (4) one time in the last 3 weeks.

Last edited:
2016 CX-5 bluetooth drops out and phone audio is "broken" typically with phone located in my left front pants pocket (while in the driver's seat). Phone is an LG V10 (3 months old). Tested the phone with another bluetooth device in the same environment and up to 15 feet away with no problems. There were no radio frequency devices other than the vehicle's in the vicinity. After positioning the phone in various locations, with differing amounts of shielding of the phone's bluetooth antenna, it appears the phone's bluetooth performance is directly related to its distance and line of sight from the right side of the dashboard display. I assume this to be the location of the CX-5's bluetooth receiver antenna. This indicates there is likely a problem with the CX-5's bluetooth antenna and/or receiver sensitivity. I don't know the S/W version, but the car was delivered new 3 weeks ago. So, if you have a similar problem try placing your phone as close as possible to this location; on the passenger seat or in the console and see if its performance improves. The local service manager hadn't heard of the problem. I have also had reconnect problems after a "drop out". but a restart of either device has always fixed the problem (at least temporarily).

Putting the phone on the dash or in the console made zero difference to my connection problems.

I even used a BT signal App to check what the signal strength was from the Mazda, and it was good at around -54db, when I could get a signal.

On my wife's 2014 cx5 the iPhone didn't want to get connected one day and the BT had stopped working.
I pulled the fuse for Radio for about 15 seconds as suggested by a forum member and the BT came back alive. I disconnected all devices and reconnected them. Thank you.

Just to chime in... I had troubles like this when I purchased my 2013 Subaru Impreza. Now I have my 2016 CX-5 GT and my BT works great with my Verizon LG V10. I've only been in it one full day, but I have had it read texts to me, play music and make calls all without issue so far. (except some album art does not show up, but I figured that would be a Greacenote update)
In my Subie, anytime I got a new phone I had to initialize the stereo to factory and start over. It wasn't enough to delete the old phone and add a new one. Just a possible avenue for troubleshooting. I had two Samsungs and one LG with that car and had to go through initializing the head unit and once I even had to factory wipe my phone. It was nuts and terribly inconvenient.
For the CX-5, I wanted to know: How do I check my firmware revision?

2016 CX-5 bluetooth drops out and phone audio is "broken" typically with phone located in my left front pants pocket (while in the driver's seat). Phone is an LG V10 (3 months old). Tested the phone with another bluetooth device in the same environment and up to 15 feet away with no problems. There were no radio frequency devices other than the vehicle's in the vicinity. After positioning the phone in various locations, with differing amounts of shielding of the phone's bluetooth antenna, it appears the phone's bluetooth performance is directly related to its distance and line of sight from the right side of the dashboard display. I assume this to be the location of the CX-5's bluetooth receiver antenna. This indicates there is likely a problem with the CX-5's bluetooth antenna and/or receiver sensitivity. I don't know the S/W version, but the car was delivered new 3 weeks ago. So, if you have a similar problem try placing your phone as close as possible to this location; on the passenger seat or in the console and see if its performance improves. The local service manager hadn't heard of the problem. I have also had reconnect problems after a "drop out". but a restart of either device has always fixed the problem (at least temporarily).

I too have the 2016 CX-5 and the LG V10 and have drop outs on Pandora. I noticed that when I keep the phone on my left hip, it seems to be more frequent. When I put the phone in that small slot in the center near the arm rest, I don't get the drops; it is an interesting coincidence that we both have V10's and drop outs.

Same set up Slightly different issue.

I'm having all sorts of issues getting my bluetooth properly working on my new CX-5.

I have a Samsung Galaxy s6 Edge. I am pairing the devices. I am connecting them. But then it won't play. It won't play my Pandora or Stitcher at all, or if it does, I hear it through the phone even though I have media checked on the set up screen. Then if it does connect (doesn't always) will randomly disconnect for no reason and then refuse to connect.

New phone, new car, cannot be a tech compatibility issue. My work iphone connects slightly better but even that will arbitrarily disconnect (and frankly, I want and need my personal phone connected as I get unlimited data).

I've tried unpairing and repairing, no dice.

Anyone have any ideas? Ive had the car for two days, and I am a Stitcher and Pandora junkie....these are musts.

So I just got myself (7/4/2016) a 2016.5 CX-5 GT, like you I have a samsung S6 Edge plus, and I have a few weird connectivity issues also. The first thing I noticed is that the car cannot browse the media on my phone. However, if I select a song on my phone and hit play on the phone the audio will come through the car speakers. This issue has been present from day 1.

However, now I have a new issue; I got a call while driving and the car didn't offer to pick it up. When I got home I checked the settings, on the phone it was saying that car and media audio were now switched to "Off." I tried to turn them back on and after about 30 secs of trying the phone set the slider on these options back to off. I then tried to unpair and repair the device to the car, unpairing went on forever (10 minutes). After looking into this further it seems the car still thinks it has a paired connection to the phone, but the phone thinks it is unpaired from the car. Haven't tried to repair the devices yet as I just noticed this in the parking lot at work.

Any suggestions on a fix would be appreciated.

Version 5.5 update same problems

I have many of the same problems with some additional ones. I just had my car in and updated to firmware 5.5 here are some of my observations as to what is different from the previous version.

Changes I have noticed
1) Removed menu where it shows live traffic(C an't believe they could not get a deal for live traffic unreal)
2) Fixed AM radio to play HD which still cuts out once and awhile but at least you can now listen to am with better sound quality
3) I do not have streaming music drop out as much

New/Old Problems
1) I use Pandora, the radio now has a hard time starting the app. I now have to start the app on my phone abut 90% of the time and still loses connection with Pandora app however Pandora is still running on the phone.
2) (argh) I travel and drive everyday so live traffic is a must. I am now unable to get voice updates (Google Maps, Waze) through the radio system unless I am streaming music. In order to get live updates with the phone I either have to turn blue tooth off on the phone which allows updates through the phone speaker, or live stream music from the phone which allows update on the radio system.
3) Still wish it had a compass on the Nav system.

I only have had the car back for a few days to test, I will update once I have a chance to go through everything. I am very happy with this car with the exception of the entertainment system which is a joke.

Latest posts

Back