How to change cruise control limit

con_va

:
Mazda CX5 2.2D SportNav
Hello all,

Just purchased an imported 2012 CX5 from Japan and I'm really excited about almost everything with this car.
The only thing is that there seems to be a cruise control limit at 105km/hr, i.e. the cruise control system won't let me set the speed at 120km/hr which is kind of annoying in highways where that's the speed limit. Does anybody know of any fix to this?

Thanks

This sub forum is a How To Section for people to make instructions.
Not a How To question forum.

This sub forum is a How To Section for people to make instructions.
Not a How To question forum.

Just an observation from someone fairly new to this site; this seems a slightly harsh response to a first-time poster...particularly when other threads on this forum do ask how to do things...eg remove wax from black trim.

Just because others have used the "how-to" section incorrectly in the past doesn't mean it should continue to be used incorrectly going forward.

But to answer your question I am surprised that there is a limit on your cruise control at all. Are you sure you aren't able to get to the speed you want and set the cruising speed? I have a 2016 and just set cruise control the other day at 77mph, (75mph speed limit area) with out a problem. That's about 124kph so you should be able to set it at least that high. The only thing I can think of is that there is some sort of restriction because the car is imported to your country and the origin country sets the limits. It may be beyond the scope of our knowledge around here.

OT
Just because others have used the "how-to" section incorrectly in the past doesn't mean it should continue to be used incorrectly going forward.
I mod several sites/forums on other interests, so agree it's better if things are where they "should be", easier for members to find, search topics
but not really see anything - pinned topic, forum description, etc - that says this is or should be "how to instructions" topics
something like that would help new members
... just saying

I know what you mean, not to long ago someone did post a thread in the how to section on how to do a proper how to. I wish it got stickied but it never did.

OT

I mod several sites/forums on other interests, so agree it's better if things are where they "should be", easier for members to find, search topics
but not really see anything - pinned topic, forum description, etc - that says this is or should be "how to instructions" topics
something like that would help new members
... just saying

Exactly. Just calling this section "How To" could easily be interpreted as a place to ask "how to" do something. No need to be rude when there is nothing that I can see - and please correct me if I'm wrong - that tells users that your interpretation of "How To" is the correct interpretation.

Thanks for the reply! Obviously I posted it in the wrong section but nevertheless..

Yes, I tried several times setting the cruise control at around 120kph only for the speed to fall at 105kph and then maintain it at that limit. If I set the cruise control at a speed lower than 105kph it works fine. So my guess was the same as yours. I was just wondering if there is a speed limiter for the cruise control which I can change manually...

Thanks again!

Thanks for the reply! Obviously I posted it in the wrong section but nevertheless..

Yes, I tried several times setting the cruise control at around 120kph only for the speed to fall at 105kph and then maintain it at that limit. If I set the cruise control at a speed lower than 105kph it works fine. So my guess was the same as yours. I was just wondering if there is a speed limiter for the cruise control which I can change manually...

Thanks again!

Is this CX5 a Japan domestic market (JDM) spec and you import it privately? If it is then the cruise control could be pre programmed to suit Japan traffic law. Hopefully there is a way to reprogramme the limit. Have you studied the manual? Having said that, If this is a JDM model then there could also be a hard limit which can't be changed.

Last edited:
Is this CX5 a Japan domestic market (JDM) spec and you import it privately? If it is then the cruise control could be pre programmed to suit Japan traffic law. Hopefully there is a way to reprogramme the limit. Have you studied the manual? Having said that, If this is a JDM model then there could also be a hard limit which can't be changed.

Yes, it is JDM spec and it is seems you are right, it was pre programmed to suit Japan traffic law. When I took it to the local Mazda dealer service they weren't able to find the specific option on the service software to change the cruise control settings as the menu was in Japanese. They only managed to reset all settings to default which changed the max speed that the cruise control can be set from 105 to 100kph. This surely means that there is indeed an option to change the limit of the cruise control, right?

Any help on the matter would be highly appreciated! Thanks!

Yes, it is JDM spec and it is seems you are right, it was pre programmed to suit Japan traffic law. When I took it to the local Mazda dealer service they weren't able to find the specific option on the service software to change the cruise control settings as the menu was in Japanese. They only managed to reset all settings to default which changed the max speed that the cruise control can be set from 105 to 100kph. This surely means that there is indeed an option to change the limit of the cruise control, right?

Any help on the matter would be highly appreciated! Thanks!

It might be programmable but will probably need a Mazda Japan trained technician to do it which is hard to find in your part of the world. The only option is post the question on a Japanese Mazda forum if you have friends who know Japanese.

Having said that I do know that JDM specs usually do have some hard limits. For example, the speedometer on JDM spec cars only go up to a max 180 Km/Hr. This is because under Japan's traffic law, you are not allowed to go over that limit no matter what.

After owning numerous Japanese Imports across Manfacturers, discovered this little gremlin with my recently purchased 2013 CX-5 on one of a few roads here where higher (110kph) speed limit applies. Given there's only a couple of roads here where I'll ever likely need to set cruise control above 105kph sounds like I'll have to live with it as it is.

Contact an Ecutek tuner, like xero limit, Dynotronics, .... and see if they can access your ecu and revise the cruise limit. Might as well raise the blue temp light to a useful 70C while you're at it. Maybe set the speed governed to 300 kph, too.

Not sure they'll be able to add power to the diesel engine as it is so rare, here.

Back