Back to the SP20 (Protege5)

Is it the rear mount you still have left? I've heard that one is the most difficult, not looking forward to replacing all 4 of mine. Glad to see another person saying it's worth doing though. Keep up the good work! (thumb)

Yeah...I've left the rear mount till last. I was sick while I was doing them and the headache got worse and worse as I progressed. Gave at after the drivers side mount.

Thanks - a whole lot more to do yet. Looking at dressing up the engine bay a little when I replace my valve gasket. (after the short shift install)

Post Pics!

Sorry - I forgot to take pics of it - I had a look at the thread where I purchased my stuff and it was described as;
Short Shifter + Qford Stiffer Bushes (Similiar to KartBoy AFAIK) + Energy Suspension Red Shifter Bush

So, pulled out my shifter in the weekend and replaced it. I had a heap of fun really. Thought it was going to be quite difficult for some reason, but probably took me 30 minutes (and most of the was establish my plan of attack).
PHOTO_20150718_1241171_zpsjvfbrxly.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Had to use the clamp at one stage to pull my exhaust over as my bushing was hung up on it. All sorted though.

Also did this;
PHOTO_20150718_1444501_zpsodfytm69.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

and this;

I was giggling the whole time. Don't know whether it was because I'm generally crap at art and I felt this was artwork and slightly funny or because the fumes were getting to me

Dropped the Asti' in for a wheel alignment yesterday and had them also replace all of my end links. OMG, I didnt realise how rubbish the ride was with the wheels and endlinks as they were.
My front wheel alignment was so far out it that I was getting a sore hand from having to grip the steering wheel (it was pulling to the right hard).
The short shifter has been a pleasant addition. I didnt think the SP20 had a very long throw as it was, but it is definitely shortened for sure.
The wheel alignment, links and short shift have made my car fun to drive again :)

I haven't put the valve cover and strut brace on yet, they're sitting in the garage waiting for me to tidy up my engine bay.

Spent some time on Saturday changing over the drivers seat from our donor Protege SP20 to our running Astina SP20. Changed a couple of the interior door panels too (slight tears here and there) - Drivers seat was changed because I'd broken a bracket due to my being a.....fatty boom batty
While doing this, I thought "I might as well change the speakers as these are cactus" - so I put in some very cheap speakers just so I could listen to music whilst driving to and from work.

I also purchased a Dremel so I could begin on my bumper modifications on the spare bumper

QUESTION: Does anyone know if the Protege rear seats will go into the Astina?

Ideas required;

As you can see, the bracket from the bumper is broken. I was thinking I could either replace the bracket with two brackets at each hole (material yet to be decided - maybe a couple of perspex or aluminium brackets).

The entire bracket is missing on the other side of the bumper.

I do plan on doing some fibreglassing and body filler work, so whatever I do bracket-wise, I can fibreglass around for strength and smooth out with body filler.

Last edited:
Just replacing mine with a new bumper skin, best fix for that would be fabricated mounts that bond to the sides of the bumper skin with panel bond or the proper polypropylene bumper 2 part adhesive.

Sounds good. Fabricated mounts made out of what?

Sent from my A0001 using Tapatalk

Back