Back to the SP20 (Protege5)

1MAQL8

:
2002 Mazda Astina SP20 (P5)
After driving around in my Audi A3 for a couple of years, my wife has run my old SP20 (Protege5) into the ground and doesnt want to drive it any more. I get the raw end of the deal and have to step out of my Audi (sad1).

List of problems with my 2002 Astina SP20
1. Bald tyres......4 bald tyres
2. Soft (quite possibly shot) suspension
3. broken engine mounts.......all engine mounts
4. missing engine (it's still there, just misfiring)
5. Front bumper broken (now currently attached with cable ties
6. cloudy headlights
7. Broken spotlights
8. OEM stereo not working (luckily radio is - although only front left speaker is working)
9. Torn door trim

Now, normally, I'd say take is somewhere secluded and set fire to it while roasting marshmellows as that is all it is good for. But this is my first car in Australia and I have a sentimental attachment. I also work hard and need some outlet and a hobby.....project time :)

Plans;
1. replace tyres to allow for safe driving (this is a daily driver as well as a project)
2. Replace suspension (ideally with some coilovers)
3. replace engine mounts (looking at some aftermarket options here)
4. replace coils, leads and spark plugs
5. polish or replace headlights
6. Custom bumper - DIY fibreglass type. I know most people say, just buy something - I like the idea of something one off and I have time up my sleeve)
7. Headers and exhaust
8. CAI
9. Carputer
10. Interior
11. Bigger wheels (not sure what sort yet, depends on the colour maybe)
12. Full respray (I'm thinking white with a templated blue pearl)

I'll begin taking pictures soon.

Is this the awd version?
I have the Yellowspeed coilovers and am really pleased with how they handle, but idk if the jdm, especially the awd, versions have the same suspension setup

Just the FWD version. I didn't realise there was an AWD version, that'd be cool.
Yeah, I'm not sure what type I'll get at this stage.

Sent from my A0001 using Tapatalk

Woohoo - picking up a donor car today. It has a busted bottom end, but everything else is immaculate - that'll solve a lot of my problems, namely;
Tyres
Headlights
Front bumper (until I build my custom bumper)
Spotlights

I'll put some pictures up this afternoon of both cars (to show the beginning)

The original Astina SP20 (this is the car I want to keep)
Astina%20SP20%201_zpsata9kupk.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]
See the busted bumper?

The donor car (picked it up for a lazy $400) - The tyres alone would have covered that) :)

Picking up some coilovers this evening - Leads, coil packs and spark plugs sitting in my garage for this weekend
Think I'll change over the bumpers this weekend (I guess I'll be driving around with 2 different colours for a while - not too fussed), change the wheels so I have fresh tyres, changes, leads/coil packs/plugs, install coilovers.
Funday Sunday methinks

I purchased some coilovers to take care of my shot suspension;
Here are the coilovers before installation

Installed new Coil packs, leads, spark plugs, pod filter (I know, it's sitting in the engine bay and sucking in hot air, I'll sort that out later) and switched the bumpers over so I didnt have to worry about the bumper falling off on me (and I can work at fixing and modifying my original bumper).

The coilovers definitely have lowered the car overall, and the ride is a lot more responsive and rigid. I do need to replace my end-links though (so if anyone knows a good place to get these, that'd be great)

I've purchased a set of 18"s for the Astina, will get them on there at some stage too

Purchased engine mounts off another astina gt.com member in the weekend, tried to get them in, but had no luck with some bolts.....damn old bolts. Will get that sorted next weekend.

I put the wheels on. Sorry about the poor picture, it was raining and I didnt want to get wet. Also, I know the car (and wheels) needs a clean.
PHOTO_20150708_165416_zpsxrkkvznr.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Thanks
Nope. No spacers on them. They're pretty wide and are 18's. Not sure whether I am going to leave them white or not. I was thinking of going a full respray in white, so I might leave them white as they are, maybe add something something sparkly to the white??

Because I have a spare SP20 bumper lying around now (albeit slightly broken), I thought that I would repair it and modify it. Aiming for something similar to this;

The wheels look great man! Do you rub at all? I've never been fond of big body kits and such, but that bumper doesn't look too bad. Interested to see what you can do with the spare!

Thanks mate. Yeah, there is a little bit of rubbage, but I'm looking at adjusting the coilovers to combat that and I'll probably roll my guards soon...very soon.

I'll definitely do something with the spare bumper. My wife is quite interested in getting into it as well (I know, absolutely amazing) and she likes the idea of creating something custom (as long as it is clean and tidy looking and not a piece of s**t - her words).

My daughter thinks I should go purple, my son midnight blue. My wife is thinking white with chromed wheels. Yeah, I'm not too sure now :)

Ah well, plenty more to do before I get to that point

Installed 3 of the 4 engine Mounts yesterday (AWR mounts I purchased from another member on astina gt.com - ICE88). I was surprised, I managed to do it with a minimum of swearing and not cuts, pinches or bruises to my body.

The car is now no longer rocking harder than the Foo Fighters during an encore. Probably in my head, but the engine sounds like it has a deeper idle (I think that might just be the different vibration).

Managed to raise the front a little bit to stop rubbage until I sort that out (did it without any coilover spanners, luckily enough I have some coming this week - the backs I couldnt do without the spanners).

Next step. Install the Short shifter I purchase at the same time as the engine mounts.

Is it the rear mount you still have left? I've heard that one is the most difficult, not looking forward to replacing all 4 of mine. Glad to see another person saying it's worth doing though. Keep up the good work! (thumb)

Back