Replaced Front Brake Pads. Only half pad used?

ayang89

:
2003.5 Mazdaspeed Protege #1827
So, i replaced my brake pads on Mr.1827

Drove it around for a few days.

Looked at my rotors and noticed that only half of the rotor was wore down ( inner ) as the other half was turning yellow orange ( outter )

Rechecked the bolts, good
Rechecked the M spring, good
Rechecked the rubber where the top bolt goes into, good

Am i missing something?

Everything is tight. Brake pedal isnt as hard as it should be with new pads. But fairly stiff

Last edited:
Did you replace the slides or atleast sand them down. And make sure you grease them after cleaning them or replacing them. or the rotors are worped

Did you replace or resurface the rotors? You never just 'pad slap' a car and only replace the pads.

They are if the pads aren't making full contact. Replacing or resurfacing the rotors is rule #1 for brake jobs.

They are if the pads aren't making full contact. Replacing or resurfacing the rotors is rule #1 for brake jobs.

Alright, ill look into some rotors then.

Also, its been super hot lately in Oregon. 93-102 and my rpm sometime dips to 500 and the car shakes a bunch. Then it fixes it self. Heat related?

My money would be on the slides needing lubrication over needing new rotors. Did you bleed the brakes?

My money would be on the slides needing lubrication over needing new rotors. Did you bleed the brakes?

Thats what i figured it would be. The sliders. Havent had time to pull em off n do that yet. Didnt bleed brakes. They werent squishy.

I guess I misread what you typed, if only one side of the rotor is making contact then yes most likely the caliper slide pins are sticking. But you still have to turn the rotors.

I guess I misread what you typed, if only one side of the rotor is making contact then yes most likely the caliper slide pins are sticking. But you still have to turn the rotors.

Whats a good grease to hit em with?

Would motor oil or wd-40 work?

do not use oil or wd-40 to grease anything..go buy brake grease..its like 75 cents for a packet at napa
resurface or replace rotors...and bleed your brakes

Alright thanks. Ill go get some n lube the bottom and upper sliders and see how that goes.

Welp, greased the sliders and got the rotors resurfaced. Still only only half pad being used on the front, but full pad being used on the back.

Guessing its the pistons perhaps?

I guess you have a seized caliper, you can buy a new one or rebuild your current one which is easier than it sounds.

You remove the piston, resurface it with sandpaper and replace the rubber seals inside the caliper and re-assemble. It's easier just to throw new ones on but they may not match the OEM caliper.

Latest posts

Back