2015 CX-5 Touring makes high-pitch "dog whistle" noise after car is driven for 30 min

For me, pitch changed with speed. The faster the speed the higher the pitch. At 80, the pitch was definitely close to that. My Mazda dealer just called, new transmission should be here by Thursday and possibly installed by Friday.

I had the exact same problems as you guys are having on this thread. My car is Mazda 2015 cx5. While I was bringing it back and forth to the dealer to find out what the noise was all about, I am glad that I found this forum and this particular thread. When I first noticed the noise, didn't know what it was. The funny thing was that I was reading this thread while the tech explained to me that they could not see any problem with the car, did not hear any weird sound and suggest I should take it back. So I showed him this post right there and he immediately got on Mazda hotline with my case filed. Told me to take the car home and record the noise. So I did that and came back. However, Mazda still wanted the tech to verify the problem in person. So I left the car there for couple days for them to verify. They called me back and said that they could not identify the dang noise- the tech even drove my car to his home 44 miles round trip and could not hear a thing. I was so frustrated going back to the dealer to get my car, but told them that I would drive the car until it makes the noise and would come back right away.

Couple days later, I finally had time to do the driving, as soon as I knew the noise was there, took it in and had a tech hop in for a ride. He verified the noise instantly. They filed out paperwork and sent to Mazda for transmission replacement. just got my car back 2 days ago and so far havent noticed any noise YET. hopefully it will be ok.

My car is 2015 but had the same problem described in TSB for older models, fortunately they still replaced the transmission under warranty coverage. For those of you who still feel frustrated with this problem try to have someone recording the noise with a smartphone or camcorder with the window down, drive closely to the sidewalk or cars parking on streets, you will get the noise echoing better in the recording. The best time to do this is in the afternoon when the temperature is hot, the noise will likely appear. Bring the car back to the dealership and have a tech hop in to verify it with you right away, dont let the car sit long enough to cool off ,the noise may go away. After they verify there is a problem, send them the recording too. Thats what I did to have the tranny replaced. Hope this help. Good luck everyone.
PS: show people at the dealer this thread so they know that we get a real problem, not just some crazy noise out of nowhere in our imagination.

Just checking in, how loud is this noise? The video isn't very clear.

I have a whine that is audible at higher speeds but is dependent on the throttle position in each gear. If the engine isn't in power making mode, meaning it isn't growling and revving really high, I can depress the gas pedal and release it and create a whine that changes in frequency slightly. I always thought it was the sound of the engine when it was trying to be fuel efficient but now I wonder if it is this.

I have a 07/2012 build date. Don't want the transmission to have problems later in life, I'm at 45,000+ miles.

Just checking in, how loud is this noise? The video isn't very clear.

I have a whine that is audible at higher speeds but is dependent on the throttle position in each gear. If the engine isn't in power making mode, meaning it isn't growling and revving really high, I can depress the gas pedal and release it and create a whine that changes in frequency slightly. I always thought it was the sound of the engine when it was trying to be fuel efficient but now I wonder if it is this.

I have a 07/2012 build date. Don't want the transmission to have problems later in life, I'm at 45,000+ miles.

Mine was constant, wasn't dependent on engine rpm, seemed more dependent on wheel rotation. Get it to the dealer before your power train warranty is up if you suspect a problem. It doesn't seem to matter what year of the manufacture, this problem is showing up anytime it wants to.

Mine got worse the warmer the transmission got. I.E. running around town for a 30 minutes would bring about minimal noise, but 2 hours at 80mph made that sucker unbearably loud.

Same proble

I have the same problem like yours. Would you mind to provide you Mazda work detail or cause number?

I have a 2016 CX-5 and it's making the same noise I think but the dealer says my car is too new and the problem shouldn't occur on 2016s.

Here is a video I took of the noise, it's at night and I held the phone up while driving so I was paying attention to the road.

Please let me k ow what you think
https://youtu.be/7z41SeGRUM8

I have a 2016 CX-5 and it's making the same noise I think but the dealer says my car is too new and the problem shouldn't occur on 2016s.

Here is a video I took of the noise, it's at night and I held the phone up while driving so I was paying attention to the road.

Please let me k ow what you think
https://youtu.be/7z41SeGRUM8

Hey. I have a 2016 Cx-5 that has the same problem. The whining noise is audible around 20 mph to 60 mph. At first, I thought the car got louder due to the aftermarket window deflectors. I took the deflectors off, it still persisted. Then I thought it was the road noise because of the tires getting wore out. I took it to the dealer and they said the same thing. However, I tried to listen to it very carefully and realized that it was not the road noise because the noise is not associated with RPM or road surface. It occurred solely according to the speed of the vehicle. I took it back to the dealer. At first, they denied it. However, I insisted that one of the service adviser heard the noise last time so they had to have somebody else test drove it again. In the end, they admitted that they heard it and would like to look further into the problem. They found the noise coming from the transmission a few days later and ordered a brand new transmission for me. The new transmission was installed and the car is now quite again.
I hope this could help you guys who have the same problem.

I joined this forum just so i can post about my experience. I have a 2015 Mazda CX-5 FWD w/ 45k miles. About 2 weeks ago, it started emitting a very high pitch noise (~6.5khz) after I have been driving for 35+ mins and if I travel 35+ mph. The noise is constant, except for random 1-2 second breaks. The noise is independent of rpm or wind direction. However, the car starts making the sound quicker on warmer days. I took it to the dealership and they have been running diagnostics on it for the past week and were able to re-create the noise on the lift and through driving tests. The dealership determined that the sound was indeed coming from the transmission, but couldn't pinpoint exactly where. They think it's related to the final drive but not to gearing or weight distribution.They also have an older similar CX-5 on the lot and were able to get that car to make the same noise too. Today, I was notified that after all of the testing and working with Mazda Technical support, Mazda (not the dealership, per se) determined that this is a "normal" noise.

I am really disappointed in this determination, because driving the car literally gives me a headache (during my 2hr round trip daily commute), and the radio cannot drown out the sound. I let the dealership know how I felt- I did not pay $25k for a new vehicle for it to make such an awful sound, and it's impossible to just ignore. They gave me a number to contact Mazda to file a complaint. I talked to a customer rep and also let him know how I felt and he said he would follow up with the dealership and would call me back later today. I also contacted NHTSA and have a complaint in que (pending Mazda's response) and they also told me to file a complaint with the FTC. According to the NHTSA, they don't have any existing complaints like mine, and Mazda didn't have any on file either.....however, for all of you who got your transmissions replaced, Mazda had to pay for those, right? How can there not be any defects logged in their system for those?

2015 CX-5 Touring makes high-pitch "dog whistle" noise after car is driven for 30 min

⋯ I have a 2015 Mazda CX-5 FWD w/ 45k miles. About 2 weeks ago, it started emitting a very high pitch noise (~6.5khz) after I have been driving for 35+ mins and if I travel 35+ mph. The noise is constant, except for random 1-2 second breaks. The noise is independent of rpm or wind direction. However, the car starts making the sound quicker on warmer days.
Although it's for older CX-5's, but we've still seen a few of newer CX-5's having similar noise issue and the transmission got replacement under this TSB. Use this TSB and be persistent asking the rep at Mazda North American Operations to replace your transmission under warranty:

Whining Noise From Automatic Transaxle 2012-2014 Mazda

Whining Noise From Automatic Transaxle 2012-2014 Mazda
oemdtc February 27, 2016 Repair Tips

APPLICABLE MODEL(S)/VINS
2013-2014 CX-5 (SKYACTIV A/T) with VINS lower than JM3KE2BE3E0415164 (produced before November 11, 2013)

Whining noise from the automatic transaxle when driving at 10 mph and above.

The noise:
Depends on the vehicles speed only (the more speed, the more noise)
Occurs with all types of driving (acceleration, deceleration, steady speed)
Does not depend on rpm, gear, or ATF temperature

This is caused by a damaged bearing in the transaxle due to improper configuration of the transaxle case.

A modification has now been implemented on automatic transaxles with the serial number 3TR1111680 and higher or 3TD1104906 and higher.

REPAIR PROCEDURE

Replace the 6AT assembly with a new one according to MS3 online instructions or Workshop Manual section 05-17.

Hey. I have a 2016 Cx-5 that has the same problem. The whining noise is audible around 20 mph to 60 mph. At first, I thought the car got louder due to the aftermarket window deflectors. I took the deflectors off, it still persisted. Then I thought it was the road noise because of the tires getting wore out. I took it to the dealer and they said the same thing. However, I tried to listen to it very carefully and realized that it was not the road noise because the noise is not associated with RPM or road surface. It occurred solely according to the speed of the vehicle. I took it back to the dealer. At first, they denied it. However, I insisted that one of the service adviser heard the noise last time so they had to have somebody else test drove it again. In the end, they admitted that they heard it and would like to look further into the problem. They found the noise coming from the transmission a few days later and ordered a brand new transmission for me. The new transmission was installed and the car is now quite again.
I hope this could help you guys who have the same problem.

2016.5 Touring... I think I have the same noise as well. Additionally, lurches while accelerating/braking in rush hour traffic have gotten more annoying.

Hi everyone. I am having the same problem with my 2016 CX-5. I noticed it last week, and I'm still under 13,000 miles. Thanks to this post, I've determined that the sound comes on above 27 mph, it's audible outside the car and appears to be louder on the right side. We also determined that we believe it's a mechanical issue, as we turned the car completely off while driving and the noise still persisted. The noise is steady, loud, and doesn't change with speed. It also starts when the car is warmed up, so it maybe takes 15 minutes for it to start.

I am taking the car into my local dealership tomorrow. Will report back on the solution. Thanks to all posters for helping me not feel crazy about this noise!

It's amazing that after 3 model years this problem still exits. Apparently all the transmissions that have been sent back to Mazda, and I'm sure there are others than on this forum, haven't yielded the cause of this nonsense. For me, this was causing literal headaches because of the high pitch noise. I hope Mazda resolves this.

Hi everyone. I am having the same problem with my 2016 CX-5. I noticed it last week, and I'm still under 13,000 miles. Thanks to this post, I've determined that the sound comes on above 27 mph, it's audible outside the car and appears to be louder on the right side. We also determined that we believe it's a mechanical issue, as we turned the car completely off while driving and the noise still persisted. The noise is steady, loud, and doesn't change with speed. It also starts when the car is warmed up, so it maybe takes 15 minutes for it to start.

I am taking the car into my local dealership tomorrow. Will report back on the solution. Thanks to all posters for helping me not feel crazy about this noise!

FOLLOW UP: After a week in the shop, I just got my car back. It took a bit for the technician to verify my problem, but after a few test drives, they did finally duplicate the 'high pitched dog whistle' sound. Mazda determined that the cause was Axel Seal Failure. They replaced the seals (a whopping $7 each!) and re-lubricated. Everything was covered under warranty.

Hoping this solves my problem for good.

FOLLOW UP: After a week in the shop, I just got my car back. It took a bit for the technician to verify my problem, but after a few test drives, they did finally duplicate the 'high pitched dog whistle' sound. Mazda determined that the cause was Axel Seal Failure. They replaced the seals (a whopping $7 each!) and re-lubricated. Everything was covered under warranty.

Hoping this solves my problem for good.
Glad to hear they actually made a genuine repair instead of replacing the entire transmission. I always felt mine was seal related, but the powers that be opted for a trans replacement. At least you know that it was something simple.

I have the exact same issue with my 2015 CX-3. I could have written this exact post! I took my car to the dealer last week and they were unable to hear the "whistle". I've recorded it and I'm bringing it back next week. I'm also going to show them this forum. Fingers crossed!

Just got my car back from the dealer. I made sure to drive until the "whistle" started before I took it back to the service department and I also brought a copy of this thread! The mechanic heard the noise as soon as he reached 40 MPH. They actually put the car up on a lift and had someone "drive" to recreate the sound while someone was underneath the car with a stethoscope ��. They were able to find exactly where it was coming from. They just had to lubricate the left axle shaft seal and the noise disappeared!

Back