2015 CX-5 Touring makes high-pitch "dog whistle" noise after car is driven for 30 min

Helical gears used in transmissions do emit a high pitched hum and this is normal. Usually you need to listen for it though and it should not be intrusive. Ed

Anything new happen with this?

Sorry for the delay. I'm taking the car in tomorrow morning to have them take a hard look at it. They're giving me a loaner so I'm not going to make a fuss. It's got about 850 miles on now and the noise is still there. I will admit it's a minor sound but the service department did confirm that other cx-5s on the lot don't make the same noise so there's definitely something different with mine. Don't get me wrong, I truly love the car. It's getting 30+ mpg on the highway.

However, I'm wondering if someone could shed some light on how the sport mode is supposed to function. It seems like it shifts up to 3rd or 4th gear and won't budge from there sending the rpm into the 6000s when doing about 60mph. If this isn't normal then the trans definitely has something wrong with it....

Sorry for the delay. I'm taking the car in tomorrow morning to have them take a hard look at it. They're giving me a loaner so I'm not going to make a fuss. It's got about 850 miles on now and the noise is still there. I will admit it's a minor sound but the service department did confirm that other cx-5s on the lot don't make the same noise so there's definitely something different with mine. Don't get me wrong, I truly love the car. It's getting 30+ mpg on the highway.

However, I'm wondering if someone could shed some light on how the sport mode is supposed to function. It seems like it shifts up to 3rd or 4th gear and won't budge from there sending the rpm into the 6000s when doing about 60mph. If this isn't normal then the trans definitely has something wrong with it....
It's normal from what I hear. Mazda put the brain of a Viper ACR in a CUV. It's clown shoes if you ask me.

I'm having the exact same problem with my 2015 CX-5 Touring as of the last couple months. I've noticed the high pitch noise after about 20-30 mins of driving at speeds above 30MPH..it immediately subsides as you decelerate. Have a service appointment tomorrow - will advise if they provide any substantive feedback.

I'm having the exact same problem with my 2015 CX-5 Touring as of the last couple months. I've noticed the high pitch noise after about 20-30 mins of driving at speeds above 30MPH..it immediately subsides as you decelerate. Have a service appointment tomorrow - will advise if they provide any substantive feedback.

Yep. Sounds like the same thing as mine. Let us know what they say. I got the car back last night but they're claiming that they can't hear it now... It's definitely still there so I'm not sure if they're being honest anymore because Mazda Co. is telling them it's not a problem enough to send them a new trans to replace it. I really hope there's nothing wrong with it. Got another 6 years to find out I guess...

Probably just a little ringing in your ears.

Welcome to the forum, I see this is your first post.

Helical gears used in transmissions do emit a high pitched hum and this is normal. Usually you need to listen for it though and it should not be intrusive. Ed

This wasn't a normal gear noise, it was an extremely strong high frequency whistling sound. Actually gave me a headache after 15 minutes. It wasn't really consistent until after about a month. First I was looking for maybe a piece of trim that maybe was coming off, thought maybe air was getting into a fine opening or something, or maybe around the outside mirrors. My dealer nailed the noise down within a day and replaced the trans, end of problem. The description the guys are giving on here fit the bill exactly. But it didn't do it 100% of the time until after about a month. Weird thing was the sound was consistent, never varied in pitch. Started at a certain speed and ended at a certain speed. Once the noise started, accelerating or decelerating had no effect on any kind of variance of sound.

Last edited:
Yep. Sounds like the same thing as mine. Let us know what they say. I got the car back last night but they're claiming that they can't hear it now... It's definitely still there so I'm not sure if they're being honest anymore because Mazda Co. is telling them it's not a problem enough to send them a new trans to replace it. I really hope there's nothing wrong with it. Got another 6 years to find out I guess...

Service department claims that they did not find any issue nor have similar complaints been received. I'm not too anxious about pursuing it further hoping that this is just a transient problem (did not have any problems for the first year). But as others have mentioned there's still plenty of time to take advantage of the powertrain warranty in case this turns out to be a bigger deal. It's good to know I'm not the only one hearing things..

This wasn't a normal gear noise, it was an extremely strong high frequency whistling sound. Actually gave me a headache after 15 minutes. It wasn't really consistent until after about a month. First I was looking for maybe a piece of trim that maybe was coming off, thought maybe air was getting into a fine opening or something, or maybe around the outside mirrors. My dealer nailed the noise down within a day and replaced the trans, end of problem. The description the guys are giving on here fit the bill exactly. But it didn't do it 100% of the time until after about a month. Weird thing was the sound was consistent, never varied in pitch. Started at a certain speed and ended at a certain speed. Once the noise started, accelerating or decelerating had no effect on any kind of variance of sound.

Thanks for description and congrats on the resolution. The sound mine is making is very low and non intrusive but like yours it doesn't change pitch and only occurs between 20-25 mph. I'm going to record it sometime soon so that everyone can get hear it for themselves.

madar, based on your experience and probable research of your transmission high pitch sound did you notice a certain range in mileage for other owners who had the same issue? For example your problem didn't arise until around 32k miles. I just hope that if it does become a problem that it pops up well before the 5 year 60k warranty.

madar, based on your experience and probable research of your transmission high pitch sound did you notice a certain range in mileage for other owners who had the same issue? For example your problem didn't arise until around 32k miles. I just hope that if it does become a problem that it pops up well before the 5 year 60k warranty.
I thought about this, if this problem reoccurs for the same reason, will it occur close to the 60k mark when the warranty expires? Who knows? I say maybe not. I wouldn’t spend my driving days expecting to find this fault. I will probably have traded in for a 2016 CX5 before that anyway. I like this vehicle. It’s a weird problem. Face it, you’re going to find a weird problem with any manufacturer on occasion, it’s the car companies that have many consistent weird problems that I’ll avoid. It’s interesting that 1 or 2 others have the same problem at the same mileage while others have a similar problem at a much lower mileage. Who knows? We’re in a very small minority. Just enjoy your vehicle while you have it.

Hi All,

Maybe I can shed some light, as I had this problem and now have a new transmission on the way. I have a 2013 CX-5 AWD. I began to notice the noise shortly after I bought the car around 30k miles. I noticed it on a long road trip, after about 4 hours of driving a slight whine. The noise would change with speed, not RPMs. Soon it began to occur at 1 hour, then 30 minutes. I finally took it in at 33k miles. We went for a drive, (I made sure to warm the car plenty before the test drive) the tech initially thought it was a bearing in the front axle. As soon as they lifted the car it was a clear howl out of the transmission. They called Mazda and decided to replace it under warranty on the spot. Annoying? Yes. I am just glad I wasn't going insane hearing the noise. I did take a video I posted on youtube if any one is interested in what the noise sounds like (https://youtu.be/d64HGUIb6II). It is kind of hard to hear but if you listen it becomes very apparent.

Last edited:
Hi All,

Maybe I can shed some light, as I had this problem and now have a new transmission on the way. I have a 2013 CX-5 AWD. I began to notice the noise shortly after I bought the car around 30k miles. I noticed it on a long road trip, after about 4 hours of driving a slight whine. The noise would change with speed, not RPMs. Soon it began to occur at 1 hour, then 30 minutes. I finally took it in at 33k miles. We went for a drive, (I made sure to warm the car plenty before the test drive) the tech initially thought it was a bearing in the front axle. As soon as they lifted the car it was a clear howl out of the transmission. They called Mazda and decided to replace it under warranty on the spot. Annoying? Yes. I am just glad I wasn't going insane hearing the noise. I did take a video I posted on youtube if any one is interested in what the noise sounds like (https://youtu.be/d64HGUIb6II). It is kind of hard to hear but if you listen it becomes very apparent.

Yeah it was too difficult for me to hear. Thanks for taking the time to record it. I'm thinking its probably best to record it with the recorder/phone, ect. zip tied under the car or something. :)

Hi All,

Good try but the video doesn't do it justice, but that was it. Waaaayyyy more annoying in real life. Mine may have been a lot more noticeable perhaps because I heard it at a lower speed.

Last edited:
I did take a video I posted on youtube if any one is interested in what the noise sounds like (https://youtu.be/d64HGUIb6II). It is kind of hard to hear but if you listen it becomes very apparent.

Thanks for posting that! It's kind of hard to distinguish with all the normal noises, is it the sound that comes on at 2 seconds and decreases in pitch through about 8 seconds?

@ MikeM: That is exactly the noise! If you follow the speed, I slow down and then Increase it. If you watch the tach, it jumps way quicker than the sounds. Sorry for the awful recording, it was so annoying my wife rolled the window down because she was getting a headache.

That's the one cited on my work order.

The not-great news is that it applies to vehicles produced before mid-November, 2013. Hopefully the problem appears before the 5 year powertrain warranty runs out.

Back