General Altimax Rt43?

Sheepdog

:
2016 CX-5 Touring Awd
I have a 2016 Touring with the 17's. I figure I'll be lucky to get 30k with the soft factory Yokohamas. With a son in college, I don't want to spend a ton on tires and think I'll get the General Altimax RT43's next time. Great reviews on Tire Rack, & videos. Just found they are owned by Continental. Has anyone tried this specific tire? Seems similar to the Conti Truecontact, which I also like but are more money.

I ran them on my RAV4 (same 225/65R17 as the CX-5) and was impressed, especially for the money. Warm weather grip, especially in the wet, was way better than the Nokian WR G2 they replaced. Winter traction was pretty good, though any all season purchased in November should perform well through its first winter. Overall, I'd give them a solid recommendation for service on the CX-5.

I was also thinking about the Cooper CS5 Grand Touring. General & Cooper have been making some really good tires the past few years. After reading reviews comparing the Cooper Zeon RS3A's to Michelin Pilot AS's, & seeing Consumer Reports rating, I bought a set for my wife's car. 500aa tread wear rating & cheap price. These tires are awesome for a sports car or sports sedan. So the CS5's are a possible also. 780aa rating on them.

We have the RT43 H's for our touring. Approximately 3000+ miles. So far tire wear is minimal, wet an dry traction is great, pretty quiet, mpg similar to origional tires. We run General Altimax ARCTIC's in the winter so can't comment on RT43's snow traction.
CR

Last edited:
Thanks for replies. The RT43's sound like a safe bet. (I don't need a winter/arctic set here in GA, we usually have a "snowmageddon" about once a year) ��

I had them on my 2014 CX5 and moved them over to me 2026 when I traded in the 2014. Very happy eith them...

Yeah, is the Flux Capacitor included in the GT model on the '26, or do I still have to get the Tech Package?

I picked up a set of these over the weekend. Nice tire. Smooth, quiet, responsive, so far the gas mileage is about the same (I average 30 mpg combined city/highway). Highly recommend them. Toyos had a total of about 32600 miles with about 5/32 tread left with almost even wear all the way around.

I have a 2016 Touring with the 17's. I figure I'll be lucky to get 30k with the soft factory Yokohamas. With a son in college, I don't want to spend a ton on tires and think I'll get the General Altimax RT43's next time. Great reviews on Tire Rack, & videos. Just found they are owned by Continental. Has anyone tried this specific tire? Seems similar to the Conti Truecontact, which I also like but are more money.

The subjective numbers that Tire Rack reports cannot be used to compare tires from different reviews.
When you look at the actual test results, you can see a definite advantage in wet handling of the Truecontact vs. the RT43, although the RT43 is better on ice.

Reference:
https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tests/chartDisplay.jsp?ttid=208
https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tests/chartDisplay.jsp?ttid=189

Back