2016 CX-5 Touring: sound under the car after turning off engine.

vv1618

:
Hi,

I have recently observed, in my new 2016 CX-5 Touring Trim FWD, a strong clicking sound under the car when I switch the engine off after about 20min drive.
Does any one know, or is there a thread that answers/discusses about this sound? One friend told me this was due to the Air Conditioner, but I drove without running the AC too, and I still hear the sounds. The sound stops after a minute or so though. Is this normal?

I hear a fairly quiet fan running on mine after shutdown. Maybe you have a piece of debris caught in the fan.

Found this after a small search, looks like you are right GP 2004,

" That's just the sound of the hot metal contracting as it cools. The exhaust gasses start out at the engine around 1200 degrees, and cool as they exit. All of that heat is dissipated through the metal pipes, which causes them to expand. When you shut the engine off you take away the heat source which allows the pipes to start cooling very rapidly. The ticking noise is just the metal shrinking back to its normal (cool) state. Yes, all cars will make that noise. Some are more noticeable than others, but it's nothing to worry about. "

source: https://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20101030124946AAzM8Oj

Back