Best Exhaust For Mazda Protoge5

Nope, no header backs. Mazdaspeed exhaust is actually just an axleback, and so is the hks. Most of the exhausts available are just catbacks, like racingbeat, magnaflow, megan, obx, ebay... Header selection is pretty bleak and depressing. Pretty much just obx or ebay. If you want to go catless, you'd have to either cut your's out, or try to find an sls or mam catless midpipe. And I hope youre only doing this for sound, because there arent really any gains to be had unless youre boosted. Youll just lose all of your torque.

...I hope youre only doing this for sound, because there arent really any gains to be had unless youre boosted. Youll just lose all of your torque.

I plan on keeping a catalytic converter. The issue is that mine needs replacing. My intended setup is an Injen CAI, OBX header (Unless the Ebay one is just as good. They're much cheaper), a high flow cat (unless it's not going to help me with performance, then I'll just replace with another stock one), and a Mazdaspeed exhaust.

If this is a dumb idea, let me know! I'm new to modding performance parts. I usually stick to cosmetics. (The nicest way of saying I'm an incompetent noob! lol)

I have a stock MP5 and i'm wondering what exhaust is best. I am looking for deep tones and no raspyness (headshake
Also no big fart cans.(no)

any quality ( non straight through ) muffler will accomplish this. If you get a straight thru muffler it becomes MUCH harder.....

Last edited:
I plan on keeping a catalytic converter. The issue is that mine needs replacing. My intended setup is an Injen CAI, OBX header (Unless the Ebay one is just as good. They're much cheaper), a high flow cat (unless it's not going to help me with performance, then I'll just replace with another stock one), and a Mazdaspeed exhaust.

If this is a dumb idea, let me know! I'm new to modding performance parts. I usually stick to cosmetics. (The nicest way of saying I'm an incompetent noob! lol)

Before you pay for your cat. call MAZDA some cats are warrantied even tho it may be high mileage.....With that being said, vibrant cat and muffler would be what I suggest, not too pricey and decent quality, but there are lots of other options

You'll still get some top end power, not much but it's there. I didn't notice loss of low end torque or lack of it. Went to the track with this set up and it revved up very nicely. Still underpowered of course

Mp5

I have a stock MP5 and i'm wondering what exhaust is best. I am looking for deep tones and no raspyness (headshake
Also no big fart cans.(no)

I've got a borla catback on mine. It was on there when I bought the car. You can't hear it at idle but when you get started its sounds amazing with a deep tone to it.

Sorry to blow the dust off an old thread, but I need clarification on a few things...

First.

Is the Mazdaspeed exhaust just the exhaust from a Mazdaspeed Protege or is there a company that still makes them? Links?

Second.

Do we have ANY header back setups for our cars? I don't want to get a new exhaust and find out it is a pile of garbage with the stock catalytic converter...
Just saw this looking through old stuff, there are some decent catted mid pipes out there, magna flow made one, borla, I just bought one as a matter of fact

Sent from my VS990 using Tapatalk

Latest posts

Back