Best Exhaust For Mazda Protoge5

Jacobleo06

:
2003 Mazda Protoge5
I have a stock MP5 and i'm wondering what exhaust is best. I am looking for deep tones and no raspyness (headshake
Also no big fart cans.(no)

The two most popular options are the Mazdaspeed and the Racing Beat axle-backs. I personally think the Mazdaspeed sounds better. Not much louder than stock when idling, but under throttle it sounds great. Of course getting a full exhaust system will impact the sound too.

the racing beat exhaust for the p5 comes in a full catback. You could also get the mazdaspeed "sport" axle-back or take a msp racingbeat axleback and shorten it to fit flush with the rear bumper. Tanabe also makes a nice axleback as well. It just might be more difficult to find at a good price since it was never very popular.

the racing beat catback is a great option for the p5. for midpipes SLS is still an option, with a high flow cat or catless. and for a header, obx is still an option. it is 4-1. try to find a 4-2-1 used though

I had an ebay catback for a couple years. Didn't sound bad and was cheap. But like the others said, mazdaspeed or racingbeat would be better. I've got a mazdaspeed axleback and no resonator currently and I couldnt be happier.

the ebay catback sounded fine, but the quality was crap. mine lasted less than a year before this happened

ebaycatbackleak_zps72a3d13d.jpeg

that is why i upgraded to racing beat

Ps. That failure is bound to happen with no flex section and soft motor mounts. Harder mounts and hangers, I'm sure the ebay setup would last.

when i had my protege sedan, i had a Ractive long-tube header, MSP cat mid-pipe, and MagnaFlow cat back exhaust. the sounds was intoxicating, and in now way was it loud. nice deep rumbles and burbles.

if you are planning exhaust mods, i suggest going full header back. the header lets the engine breath better for more power. the advantage to running an MSP cat mid-pipe is the additional cat keeps the exhaust noises under control.

I have some sort of (assumedly non-stock) exhaust on my P5, and I'm not sure of its origins. Could anyone tell me if its aftermarket and where it came from? It might just be stock but I'm not sure, it looks like this

garage_attachment.php

I had never questioned it until somebody pointed out to me that it straight up says "Mazdaspeed" on it, and I was pumped to find that out. Either way I like the way this exhaust juts out a bit farther than the norm, and it sounds good although on the more quiet side.

Thats a mazdaspeed performance muffler for the p5. That is not a fake, but does seem to be sticking out very much. Do you had a better picture from afar

Nice! Is it said to give more performance than whatever was stock? But yes here's one:

garage_attachment.php

I think it looks pretty cool!

Also, check out my old whip in that photo. 96 Ford Taurus, Couldn't have been happier to get this Mazda Protege5 to replace it

that looks like a 03 style msp muffler. a p5 specific one would... fit.. 03 was round. 03.5 oval.

I loved the JIC exhaust I had on my P5. No drone, but a nice grumble.

attachment.php

Attachments

• jic.exhaust.P5.JPG
    jic.exhaust.P5.JPG
    72.8 KB · Views: 813
i was gonna buy 2.5" magan racing catback + custom made Magnaflow cat.

they cost roughly 700CAD which seems pretty much the same as custom make one with 3"

wanna custom fab one with Magnaflow cat , Vibrant ultra quiet resonator +TPV muffler

but i was wrong...

i got everything, but cant get mandrel bended piping at low cost. i might go with prebended tubes and ask my buddy to weld it.

Sorry to blow the dust off an old thread, but I need clarification on a few things...

First.

Is the Mazdaspeed exhaust just the exhaust from a Mazdaspeed Protege or is there a company that still makes them? Links?

Second.

Do we have ANY header back setups for our cars? I don't want to get a new exhaust and find out it is a pile of garbage with the stock catalytic converter...

Back