0W-30 maybe needed?

fvansan

:
2014 mazda cx 5 gt
I am moving from Florida to Las Vegas and I will need my next oil change in a month before I leave to drive out to LV. I am wondering if I should prepare for the extreme heat of LV and put 0W-30 Synth instead of 0W-20 Synth. What do you think?

I would use exactly what Mazda says to use - 0W20. Once your engine is fully heated up, I don't know that being say 10 degrees higher in ambient temp really affects the engine temp all that much.

I am moving from Florida to Las Vegas and I will need my next oil change in a month before I leave to drive out to LV. I am wondering if I should prepare for the extreme heat of LV and put 0W-30 Synth instead of 0W-20 Synth. What do you think?
It's funny that the Owner's Manual does say to use 5W-30 in Mexico for the same engine. But if I were you, I'd use the best 0W-20 oil I can find such as genuine Mazda moly oil for the warranty purpose.

It appears that only Canada and the USA are required to use 0w20 and other countries use 5w30 for the same engine. I probably will go to 5w30 after warranty since I am in SW Florida. You asked if 0w30 is NEEDED and that answer is NO. Ed

I can't imagine there's that much difference between 0W20 and 5W30. I would think using 5W30 in warmer areas and 0W20 in colder areas should be fine. You might want to avoid the opposite(0W20 in warm areas and 5W30 in cold areas). just sayin...

I would keep the 0-20 Mazda oil in there.
It's probably just due to EPA ratings that we use the thinner oil.

The specified weight of oil has nothing to do with the EPA and everything to do with normal engineering practices. The oil specified is the best one for the job/location/climate. Before the EPA existed, oils have always been specified that reduce friction as much as possible without compromising engine protection. That is still the case today and, yes, the climate zone does affect the ideal recommendation.

The specified weight of oil has nothing to do with the EPA and everything to do with normal engineering practices. The oil specified is the best one for the job/location/climate. Before the EPA existed, oils have always been specified that reduce friction as much as possible without compromising engine protection. That is still the case today and, yes, the climate zone does affect the ideal recommendation.

So NY gets 5-20 while South Texas is also fine with 0-20, but Germany requires 5-30? Say what?

The EPA / CAFE drove thinner oils. Of course tolerances have changed to support that, but the drive to thinner oils is the same as the drive to better aero and less weight and lower rolling resistance. It's just one more thing auto makers use to hit CAFE standards for their fleet. Even motor oils are ranked by mileage. Go look at the change from Sequence VI to Sequence VI-B testing regarding motor oils. All about that viscosity/mpg. The new testing says it all. To pass as a 5-20, it must improve fuel efficiency by 1-2% better than 5-30 (it depends on viscosity grade which it is, I am not sure, but an improvement in fuel efficiency is what is required per Sequence VI-B, to rate).

Last edited:
So NY gets 5-20 while South Texas is also fine with 0-20, but Germany requires 5-30? Say what?

The German CX-5's have different engine design (higher compression) so it's not surprising they specify a thicker oil.

in australia, the 2.5 engine recommends:

5w40
10w30
10w40
10w50

in florida, I would be using exclusively 5w40. if you drive aggressively in how weather, you're honestly best off with 10w30 or 40.

Back