Mazda Mobile Start

optical_man

:
2016 CX-5 GT AWD + tech
For those interested, the Mazda Mobile Start website is up now:

With Mazda Mobile Start you can conveniently control many of your car's settings through your smartphone. Use Mazda Mobile start to:

- Start, Lock or Unlock your Mazda
- Activate the Panic Alarm
- Find your parked car from virtually anywhere

Your Mazda Mobile Start purchase even includes 1-year of complimentary service. Plus, you can feel confident in your purchase since it's backed by Mazda's Genuine Accessory Warranty.

With your Mazda Mobile Start purchase, you'll receive a complimentary 1-year subscription to the Mazda Mobile Start app. After the first year, annual renewals for the Mazda Mobile Start service are only $65.00.

So I wonder how much the install is at the dealership? So it will be 2 charges? 1 for the hardware in my CX-5 at the dealership and then $75.00 per year to use the system???

Does the Mobil start require a separate key fob? Or is everything just controlled by the smart phone app? I don't really like the idea of having to carry two separate keyfobs for the same car.

So 1st year is free upon hardware purchase, $65 therafter (unless price fluctuates)? This may be a legit alternative to having a remote starter installed.

Anyone know if this will work with The OEM Mazda remote start part# PZ170-02021
2014-2016-mazda-key-for-remote-start-only-2.jpg

So I wonder how much the install is at the dealership? So it will be 2 charges? 1 for the hardware in my CX-5 at the dealership and then $75.00 per year to use the system???

I don't have any inside information, but it was originally advertized as $550 USD (installed with one year subscription included) and then $65 per year after that.

I already had it installed when I bought the car but I don't think they ever gave me the serial number. Figures :/

I'm not lazy enough to take on extra monthly or annual bills so I can pull out my smartphone, unlock my smartphone, open the app, start the engine and set the heater on. Unless I was a long ways away from my vehicle, this would likely take me about the same amount of time as just using the key fob and setting the climate manually. And if it's that cold out I can scrape the windows and clear the lights as it's warming up. Of course this is coming from someone who actually started my Nissan Patrol with a dead battery (lights accidentally left on all day) by using the hand crank stowed in the back. That was pretty convenient, seeing how there was no one nearby on a freezing cold night at 11pm.

But this monthly/annual service is a non-starter (pun not intended) for this hombre.

I'm not lazy enough to take on extra monthly or annual bills so I can pull out my smartphone, unlock my smartphone, open the app, start the engine and set the heater on. [...]

But this monthly/annual service is a non-starter (pun not intended) for this hombre.

Exactly.

Anything except for free after hardware purchase is dead in the water. Who in their right mind would pay a yearly service for remote start when every other manufacturer has no such fee associated with it.

Agree. Having to pay for that service is asenine. Good thing they aren't relying on me. Rediculous.

Anything except for free after hardware purchase is dead in the water. Who in their right mind would pay a yearly service for remote start when every other manufacturer has no such fee associated with it.

Morning,

Well, my wife I'm sure would agree with you
about not being in my right mind, but it's nothing
to do with a Remote Start !!!!!!!!

On the Mazda Mobile Start, I for one, am excited about
getting it on my new car. While I'm not super excited about
having to pay an annual fee, I do like the fact of being able
to control the remote start with my Iphone instead of having
another remote. I've never had anything like this before, but it's my
Retirement Gift to myself, and will be nice to have a cool or warm
car to get into.

Take Care,

CK

On the Mazda Mobile Start, I for one, am excited about
getting it on my new car. While I'm not super excited about
having to pay an annual fee, I do like the fact of being able
to control the remote start with my Iphone instead of having
another remote. I've never had anything like this before, but it's my
Retirement Gift to myself, and will be nice to have a cool or warm
car to get into.

Take Care,

CK

I am also retired and also like to get into warm car in the winter months. I leave my remote start transmitter in the bedroom and start the car before I leave. How often do you need to remote start your car else where? I know about me because I've tried it. Shopping with the wife ( Macy's, Kohl's, ETC.) doesn't need a remote start because by the time she decides that she is ready to leave we check out and are in the car before it has time to heat up anyway. I do grocery shopping alone, so I'm fast. I buy the list, nothing else, no browsing. I'm back at the car before it chills completely. I'll admit there are a few times that I'd like to remote start the CX-5 when I'm away from the house, but not enough to carry the remote fob, or pay an annual fee. OK, if the annual fee were very cheap, like $10/yr, I'd pay that.

The pay subscription thing is nothing new. Since it's using your smart phone there has to be a way to communicate with the car and that's done with the cell service, which has to be paid for. I guess they could partner with service providers to add that service but I don't think there is a need for the extra step. Viper has a very similar remote start system call "smartstart" basically the same thing as mazda mobile start where it uses the smart phone and app for the remote. Vipers service is $69.49 per year or $139.99 for three years. That boils down to $5.79/month and $3.89/month respectively. I would like to see mazda offer a multi year plan like that, I would consider it more closely if they did. It will never happen but I wish there was a way to pay month to month so I could activate it just during the cold winter months. I don't see my self cooling the car off in summer but warming it in winter would be nice with the two little ones in tow.

The pay subscription thing is nothing new. Since it's using your smart phone there has to be a way to communicate with the car and that's done with the cell service, which has to be paid for. I guess they could partner with service providers to add that service but I don't think there is a need for the extra step. Viper has a very similar remote start system call "smartstart" basically the same thing as mazda mobile start where it uses the smart phone and app for the remote. Vipers service is $69.49 per year or $139.99 for three years. That boils down to $5.79/month and $3.89/month respectively. I would like to see mazda offer a multi year plan like that, I would consider it more closely if they did. It will never happen but I wish there was a way to pay month to month so I could activate it just during the cold winter months. I don't see my self cooling the car off in summer but warming it in winter would be nice with the two little ones in tow.

Howdy Ride92,

I agree a multi-year would be much more
cost effective. I just wonder how long before
they're be an "App" that might not cost that much
or maybe a work-around? You know how Crafty Folks are :)

Here in Texas it will really be nice to have a Cool/ or a Cooling
car to get into when it's 100+ degrees out, and also here lately
a nice Warm car to get into in the Winter.

Look forward to hearing how it's working from Folks that have it already.
The Dealers that I've been in contact with seem to be in the Dark on
it, and how it works. Also, one seems to say it's a dealer item vs
a Built or Port Installed feature. Anyone have any info on this??

Take Care,

CK

The pay subscription thing is nothing new. Since it's using your smart phone there has to be a way to communicate with the car and that's done with the cell service, which has to be paid for. I guess they could partner with service providers to add that service but I don't think there is a need for the extra step.

I don't have any issue with them charging as much as they want for the service, I just have a problem agreeing to pay for it since it offers so little over the manual methods (reach in, push buttons).

Additionally, I live and travel in areas where there are still HUGE gaps in cellular coverage (regardless of carrier). So, not only would it not be worth it, it simply wouldn't work where I wanted to use it the most.

"Find Your Parked Car From Virtually Anywhere.

You can already do that from just about any cell phone. There are various GPS apps one can get (some even free), that allow you to accomplish what the above title of the post wants you to do.

CX5T Lover

Back