2013 CX-5 Touring - periodic strong smell of gasoline inside and outside of car

annbanan1

:
Mazda CX 5 Touring 2013
Has anyone else experienced a periodic strong smell of gasoline inside/outside their CX5? The first time I noticed it was a few months back when I had run a few short errands where the car was driven 10-15 mins, shut off, then driven again for 10-15 mins, etc. then afterwards stopped at a light with my heater on full blast. I could smell gasoline in the cabin. When I shut off the outside air, the smell lessened. The next two times it happened the car was idling for about 10 mins. after starting it in very cold weather with the heat/defrost on full blast. When I approached the car I could smell gas outside of the car and once again inside the cabin. Once again, if I turned off the outside air and just recirculated the cabin air, the smell lessened. This latest time was in warm weather with the air conditioning on. I drove the car for about 10 mins. parked it for an hour drove it again for 10 mins. then parked it in my garage. When I exited the car I could smell strong gasoline odor outside of the car and it made my entire garage smell. I did not smell it in the car while driving as I did not have the outside air button on. Each time I checked my gas cap to make sure it was on tight, I had not just fueled up (was at half a tank this last time it happened), and there was no visible gas on garage floor or upon visual inspection of the engine compartment. I changed my in cabin air filter just on a whim too, but the smell happened again. I took it to the Mazda dealer yesterday and of course they could not recreate the problem. They said they checked the vehicle fuel system and evaporation system, removed evap canister and no fuel was present. They test drove it and there were no visible leaks seen. Any ideas????

Not saying this is your answer but...

The gas smell can be recreated when driving/stopped behind an old pickup truck with foul smelling exhaust fumes coming from its pipes. Considering your region I thought exhaust fumes linger closer to the ground do to cold temps.

The fuel vapor emissions system on a CX-5 is designed to be air-tight except for the vent to the outside of the vehicle which is generally in the sealed stage but under certain conditions it will vent to the outside to minimize excessive pressure inside the tank. But it can only vent via a charcoal filter which does a good job of scrubbing it of fuel vapors. Unless you have been topping off the tank when re-fueling you shouldn't smell any gas vapors inside or outside the vehicle.

Topping off the tank is not recommended.

The only times I've smelled gasoline inside the car is when I'm following a car that's been chipped to run rich or I have a lawnmower gas can in the back of the car. Somehow a clean gas can will stink up a car even when it's sealed tight. That's because gas cans don't have charcoal canisters (yet) and they vent inside the vehicle (not outside like your CX-5 does).

Back