[UK] 2012 Diesel (175PS) AWD CX-5, 73,333 miles, Have you had this problem?

Good to see and so they should, apart from the hassles, as a general rule, they are pretty good.
No car brand is perfect, they would go broke, but as a Mazda guy I am very disappointed that these bugs were not eliminate before production of their new 2.2 SA-D, it is not like them.
Proves my point, that one should never buy a first of model, wait at least until the next update, about 3 years, and yes I know, it can be out-dated by then, but....
Good news for you WNJ. ;)
Good news for WNJ indeed! But Mazda had made big mistake before. I still remember the good-only-in-theory Mazda rotary engines...(boom08)

Mazda have responded late yesterday afternoon and are footing the bill 100% for new injector seals, injector piping, camshaft, turbo and oil strainer. So a pleasing outcome on that.

Great news WNJ! My car was built Oct 2012 but I did check oil regularly and insisted on an oil change at six months as it was close to the old x. At the 12 months service dipstick C and other software revisions. The old X is much lower than the new x on the new dipstick. My car was checked again recently after a 'recall style' letter was sent to me. No problems found which is good as I don't do any sub 10 min journeys in the car and let regens finish. Whilst at the channel tunnel yesterday there was stop start driving but the i-stop came on a few times so if the i-stop is ok with turning the engine off I'm ok with it too. Since dipstick 'c' and with my driving habits the oil level has only risen a little from the original mark. So thanks to the Australians posting their problems with the 2.2D I believe I've avoided the fate of WNJ's car which is an earlier and higher mileage car than mine.

dad of jon I'd had all the bits and bobs you've haddone, several recall fixes etc., serviced twice a year due to my mileage, and always kept an eye on the oil levels. This breakdown came out of the blue, but on further searching, it seems it's an historic issue for Mazda 2.2d engines (found forum threads on older CX-7 and 6s pre Skyactiv) with issues with leaking injector seals. Just glad it's sorted now and am back on the road!

Dad of John, the cam failure is fairly random, many failed cars in Germany, which is at least 60 forum users, have had all the previous updates and checks done, inc the vac pump check. Please check your vin number and see if your car is in the affected batch which start with either of these codes.....

JMZKE.....248119
JMZKE.....163230

Last edited:
Sorry to hear your issues with the Skyactiv-D. I had pondered waiting for version to show up in US but finally reached a point where petrol version was good enough last year. It seems still too many bugs with diesel version. My only complaint is I wish petrol version had an extra 1K lb towing capacity but still very satisfied. It has excelled at everything I have thrown at it.

Best of luck!!!

Dad of John, the cam failure is fairly random, many failed cars in Germany, which is at least 60 forum users, have had all the previous updates and checks done, inc the vac pump check. Please check your vin number and see if your car is in the affected batch which start with either of these codes.....

JMZKE.....248119
JMZKE.....163230

JMZKEF91600147414 so no?

JMZKE.....248119
JMZKE.....163230

Am confused...reading the bulletin attached to this post http://www.mazdas247.com/forum/show...ine-Oil-Rise&p=6383266&viewfull=1#post6383266 it seems to say to me that the modification in production started from these VIN numbers, ie. it's the cars with VINs lower than the two you are quoting that may be affected? This would also fit with Mazda UK telling me my car is unaffected (VIN ends 164949). Or am I reading this wrongly?!

Have now followed up the German forum referred to elsewhere on this thread as a source for camshaft problem info. Post #540 courtesy of Google Translate says Hello Yeti drivers, on page 1 of this thread is to find a fairly current pdf, in the containment of the affected VINs or production periods can be found. For the reasons there is understandably guesses as Mazda can not be watching in the cards. These assumptions are relatively secured. Since about 2014, and even with the current models, this problem is no longer so far occurred. You have so you do not worry. The 175PS diesel You can have a lot of fun."

I think this bears out my interpretation that this is a problem with older cars, pre UK VIN 163230, with a build date of probably before September 2013. My car was registered Jan 2014 and I don't know what the build date was but post September 2013 would seem to fit.

I think your number is ok DOJ, the last part 916 is higher than 248 so you should be ok. To be sure, check your date of first inventory, build year, or whatever the UK term is. Mine is May 2012 and falls under the VIN number, the problem occurs with builds up to Sep 17th 2013.

Have now followed up the German forum referred to elsewhere on this thread as a source for camshaft problem info. Post #540 courtesy of Google Translate says Hello Yeti drivers, on page 1 of this thread is to find a fairly current pdf, in the containment of the affected VINs or production periods can be found. For the reasons there is understandably guesses as Mazda can not be watching in the cards. These assumptions are relatively secured. Since about 2014, and even with the current models, this problem is no longer so far occurred. You have so you do not worry. The 175PS diesel You can have a lot of fun."

I think this bears out my interpretation that this is a problem with older cars, pre UK VIN 163230, with a build date of probably before September 2013. My car was registered Jan 2014 and I don't know what the build date was but post September 2013 would seem to fit.

For what it's worth, my VIN is JMZKExxxxxx122196 and registered July 2012 so definitely fell in to the 'affected vehicles' bracket!

Thank You

I'd just like to thank you all for the information on these pages. I have a CX-5 with 120,000 miles on it that had a turbo failure.

I'm the fourth owner and had 70% of the cost covered due to being related to the camshaft hardening issue.

My car was manufactured in June 2013... I know right!

I'd just like to thank you all for the information on these pages. I have a CX-5 with 120,000 miles on it that had a turbo failure.

I'm the fourth owner and had 70% of the cost covered due to being related to the camshaft hardening issue.

My car was manufactured in June 2013... I know right!

I'm assuming out of warranty then!
Did you buy from a dealer? How much hassle did you have in getting the 70% from them?

Well done on that. I just had the same issue at 85k and Mazda UK only offered 50% goodwill. However, literally weeks before that had fully paid for the replacement of the EGR.

As I do mainly short journeys, I am thinking of selling it and getting the petrol version. Does anyone know if the petrol engine has any issues?

Sorry for replying to an old post, but I'm looking to buy an 2014 2,2 175 CX-5, and suddenly came over this dilution problem etc.

VIN: JMZKEN92800258657 (EC). First registration date on the road 14/01-14. Is it then safe to say it's in the "clear"?

Back