[UK] 2012 Diesel (175PS) AWD CX-5, 73,333 miles, Have you had this problem?

WNJ

:
CX-5 2.2D (175PS) AWD Manual Sport-NAV + Safety Pack
My car is currently in with dealer after a troublesome commute to work on Monday morning.

A timeline of events:
  • Vehicle System Inspection Required
  • Engine Oil Pressure Low
  • Engine Inspection Required
  • Car enters 'Limp Home' Mode
It's been mentioned that the start point may be to remove the sump and strain the oil looking for 'artefacts' (not sounding good).

Has anyone had anything similar?

My finance is up next month and the big final payment due... if this is going to cost a lot I'm considering cutting my losses and handing it back.

Although we don't have SA-D here in the US but we've seen many posts concerning the diesel issues especially on DPF regeneration function. You can find many threads in this forum discussing these problems such as Engine Oil Rise. You'll see many people are having similar symptoms like yours. If I were you, I'll cut my losses and hand it back. Hopefully you still have warranty or Mazda can do something for you as it seems a design flaw.

Although we don't have SA-D here in the US but we've seen many posts concerning the diesel issues especially on DPF regeneration function. You can find many threads in this forum discussing these problems such as Engine Oil Rise. You'll see many people are having similar symptoms like yours. If I were you, I'll cut my losses and hand it back. Hopefully you still have warranty or Mazda can do something for you as it seems a design flaw.

Thanks for the input, but this is not related to the engine oil rise issue or DPF regens which I was already aware of.

Have heard from the dealer a few minutes ago and currently it's looking like camshaft and turbo replacement required and an oil strain. Just about to start stripping it down to see if there are any other issues.

The warranty here is 3 year or 60,000 miles (whichever you hit soonest), so i'm 13,333 miles out of warranty :(

Thanks for the input, but this is not related to the engine oil rise issue or DPF regens which I was already aware of.
Have heard from the dealer a few minutes ago and currently it's looking like camshaft and turbo replacement required and an oil strain. Just about to start stripping it down to see if there are any other issues.
The warranty here is 3 year or 60,000 miles (whichever you hit soonest), so i'm 13,333 miles out of warranty :(
Sorry to hear the engine is out of warranty. But by reading many of 527 posts in Engine Oil Rise, you'll see people were having the same camshaft and turbo replacement because of oil contamination by diesel fuel due to DPF regeneration failure. If you read from the newer posts first, you may even found people under the same situation and some people may post their experience of getting help from Mazda of UK. Of course you should be able to find more threads concerning the SA-D problems by doing a search.

Sorry to hear the engine is out of warranty. But by reading many of 527 posts in Engine Oil Rise, you'll see people were having the same camshaft and turbo replacement because of oil contamination by diesel fuel due to DPF regeneration failure. If you read from the newer posts first, you may even found people under the same situation and some people may post their experience of getting help from Mazda of UK. Of course you should be able to find more threads concerning the SA-D problems by doing a search.

TBH I'd not looked at the engine oil related posts in over a year, so if it's a more recent occurrence that people are having similar parts replaced then I'll have a look back, thanks!

Edit: oh bugger, there appear to be a few similarities! :s

Last edited:
Sorry to hear about your issues, great car but a crap Diesel Engine, I have been in the car game for decades and frankly I will never understand why car buyers choose a diesel.
They cost more to repair more to run than a petrol units (overall), the only benefit is great torque.
I don't care what anyone says cleans diesels are no different to any other diesel engine of the past, they like to be kept running, stop starts of the engine and short distance driving are killers.
Apart from that IMO this engine has a structural defect.
Your issue, yes your exhaust camshaft is kaput and so is the turbo (not made by Mazda), search my posts I think I listed the bulletin from Japan on this issue, among all the others for CX-5.
In here..
http://www.mazdas247.com/forum/show...ine-Oil-Rise&p=6383266&viewfull=1#post6383266

And Australia does not have any lemon laws like the US, read this..
http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/ne...d-some-customers/story-fnlrw4is-1227371753948

Last edited:
Sorry to hear about your issues, great car but a crap Diesel Engine, I have been in the car game for decades and frankly I will never understand why car buyers choose a diesel.
They cost more to repair more to run than a petrol units (overall), the only benefit is great torque.
I don't care what anyone says cleans diesels are no different to any other diesel engine of the past, they like to be kept running, stop starts of the engine and short distance driving are killers.
Apart from that IMO this engine has a structural defect.
Your issue, yes your exhaust camshaft is kaput and so is the turbo (not made by Mazda), search my posts I think I listed the bulletin from Japan on this issue, among all the others for CX-5.
In here..
http://www.mazdas247.com/forum/show...ine-Oil-Rise&p=6383266&viewfull=1#post6383266

And Australia does not have any lemon laws like the US, read this..
http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/ne...d-some-customers/story-fnlrw4is-1227371753948

Thank you AdzamOZ, the Service Information sheet is very interesting, I had the work done for the Vacuum Pump at my last service so I wonder why the rest wasn't checked out (or whether it was and was fine) considering my car falls under the VIN numbers affected?! Some fuel to go to Mazda with (or get dropped off at Mazda with) though! Cheers!

No luck mate, your certainly not alone.

Check out he German forum, 50 page thread with many people experiencing the same problem, probably around 20 or 30 failures. I put a list up on this forum sometime, if you check under my posts you will find it.

You can put the forum address in a translator.

http://www.cx5-forum.de/f11/schaden-nockenwelle-folgeschaden-turbolader-etc-2715.html

"damaged camshaft causing turbo failure"

Good luck!

Thank you AdzamOZ, the Service Information sheet is very interesting, I had the work done for the Vacuum Pump at my last service so I wonder why the rest wasn't checked out (or whether it was and was fine) considering my car falls under the VIN numbers affected?! Some fuel to go to Mazda with (or get dropped off at Mazda with) though! Cheers!

No problems mate..
Look this Brake Vacuum unit replacement was/is a waste of time as there is nothing wrong with the brake vac unit, these last forever in Mazda's (well almost).
The reason why you had poor brake performance is because the vacuum was depleted from the engine side, if there is a loss of vacuum the vac pump wont work as efficient for brakes.
What is happening is the rockers which attach to the Camshaft are wearing/eating into the camshaft lobes (see pics in TSB), wearing them down, therefore the Valves in Cylinder Head are not opening and closing in correct timing, eventually engine will just stop or go into limp mode.
Yes, the diluted engine oil with diesel fuel contamination is part of the casue of the Camshafts and Rockers grinding down, lack of proper oil lubrication.
Plus the Turbo Shaft issues.
Anyway, I did not realise you are out of warranty, that is rubbish, IF Australia can issue 3 years X Unlimited Kilometres why not UK/Europe...that annoys me.
You should not have to pay anything, MMUK must fix this free of charge.
Take your case to your Consumer Regulator in UK and show them the Daily Telegraph issue with Mazda Australia replacing the cars with new ones after publicity.

Good luck...

Last edited:
AdzamOz

The list of vins in the PDF you provided are for cars that are affected by this cam problem. So for my car to be one of the bad batch, it has to start and end in the exact same code, is that correct? My car is a 2013 EU model, ,my vin starts with JMZKE but the last set of numbers are different. Does this mean I should be trouble free?

On another note, my car was in for a free software update 2 weeks ago. I check the oil after the "update" and it was at least 1 cm lower. It got it's standard service today and I checked the service log book and it says, "oil and filter changed". Then I noticed that the update 2 weeks ago also says "oil and filter changed". I bet they changed it 2 weeks ago for some reason without telling me, then they didn't change it at the service, but will charge me anyway. I'm now searching for Mazda CH phone numbers to ask for an explanation!

BEGINNING VIN & DATE OF MODIFICATION
Mazda3:
EC Spec: JMZBM**** ** 112007 September 17, 2013
Mazda6:
EC Spec: JMZGJ**** ** 148781 September 17, 2013
ADR Spec: JM0GJ**** ** 122521 September 17, 2013
CX-5:
EC Spec: JMZKE**** ** 248119 September 17, 2013
UK Spec: JMZKE**** ** 163230 September 17, 2013
ADR Spec: JM0KE**** ** 224059 September 17, 2013

My car is currently in with dealer after a troublesome commute to work on Monday morning.

A timeline of events:
  • Vehicle System Inspection Required
  • Engine Oil Pressure Low
  • Engine Inspection Required
  • Car enters 'Limp Home' Mode
It's been mentioned that the start point may be to remove the sump and strain the oil looking for 'artefacts' (not sounding good).

Has anyone had anything similar?

My finance is up next month and the big final payment due... if this is going to cost a lot I'm considering cutting my losses and handing it back.

I had similar issues, my car has been in dealer since 30/03/15 and it's still not repaired, new parts fitted so far are brake servo, turbo, camshafts, oil, oil filter, fuel, fuel filter, injectors, fuel pump, short engine, clutch, this is what they have fitted because of the problem like yours. I have been messed around by Mazda and Dealer.
I have informed Watchdog, trading standards etc and now they might be replacing the car, mine only had 15000 miles on it, I have put negative comments on Mazda UK Facebook page even my picture of me with protest board at dealers. These engines have serious problems with them so we need to make them aware, this should be a recall issue but Mazda say it's a technical enhancement. Contact Mazda UK direct and complain like I did and inform them it's a serious concern.

Oh well, seems my car vin number does actually put me at risk of this failure. I now have to sort ok two things. Find out why I had an oil and filter changed when they told me the car was in for a software update only. Then when I put the car in for its 3 year service a few weeks later, they charged me for an oil and filter change.

Also need to get the cam wear checked.

The issue is finding a friendly enough Mazda dealer that will do it.

Update: Just back from picking up courtesy car from Mazda dealer.

Took in the Service Information details regarding Camshaft/Turbo/Vacuum Pump and through a discussion with the service guy, it sounds similar but is from an "old campaign" which led to the recall on the Vacuum Pump which was replaced at my last service.
The issue actually (apparently) related to a separate Service Information document regarding Carbon buildup on the Injectors and also the Engine Oil Pickup being blocked by Carbon buildup... Anywho, the issue had been referred to Mazda Central a few days ago and they are awaiting a reply on a 'Goodwill' gesture towards most of, or even all of the costs of new Camshaft, Injectors and Engine Oil Pickup/Strainer (which are around 2,500)!

WNJ, or any others for that mater, if you have a VIN number that falls under the potential camshaft failure, how comfortable do you feel driving the car and waiting for it to fail? I think I had the vac pump service done, my dealer called me and asked me to bring the car in for a software update, after the car was in, the oil was 1 cm lower and there is a not in the service book saying the oil and filter were changed. I asked them 3 times what the update was but they never told me anything apart from software update. Anyway, even though this has been done to my car, I really have no confidence in the lifetime of the engine now. It's my wifes car and she drives it most days with my 2 year old daughter in it. I work away often, Uk and Usa and need something I can trust.

I have about 10 months left of a 36 month leasing, paying 300 per month and final payment of 600. I am seriously considering buying out the leasing then trading it in for a new CX5 2.2 Not a big financial hit, especially in the long term, thoughts?

Any update on your car WNJ?

WNJ, or any others for that mater, if you have a VIN number that falls under the potential camshaft failure, how comfortable do you feel driving the car and waiting for it to fail? I think I had the vac pump service done, my dealer called me and asked me to bring the car in for a software update, after the car was in, the oil was 1 cm lower and there is a not in the service book saying the oil and filter were changed. I asked them 3 times what the update was but they never told me anything apart from software update. Anyway, even though this has been done to my car, I really have no confidence in the lifetime of the engine now. It's my wifes car and she drives it most days with my 2 year old daughter in it. I work away often, Uk and Usa and need something I can trust.

I have about 10 months left of a 36 month leasing, paying 300 per month and final payment of 600. I am seriously considering buying out the leasing then trading it in for a new CX5 2.2 Not a big financial hit, especially in the long term, thoughts?

Any update on your car WNJ?

Dr_Watson I have a VIN number that falls under the Vacuum/Turbo/Camshaft service info doc and had the Vacuum Pump replaced at my last service along with a software update for "runaway revs at idle" as part of two recalls.
I'm told however my current issue is different (although still affects camshaft) and possibly related to another service info doc.

Been in the garage a week and a half now, with the claim to Mazda submitted a week ago and still to hear a response.

My PCP finance final payment is due mid-August (~8,800), I cannot afford the ~2,500 repairs on top of that, so am hoping for a sizeable (preferably 100%) contribution from Mazda for the work.

It has really knocked my confidence in the car and is quite upsetting as I loved driving it. Looking at a few valuations (in working order) from some of those 'we buy your motor' companies, they're offering between 12,500 and 15,000 for the CX-5 with the amount of miles I've done on it... i'm really considering trading it in for a younger, second-hand, KIA Sportage with half the mileage which would have whatever remainder of it's 7 year/ 100,000mile warranty on it!

I would bet your problem is related to the camshaft problem. Mazda probably try and pan it off as something else to cover up the numbers that are failing due to this particular weakness.

If it really is just these cars with the early VIN numbers, would you not consider a newer car? I would quite happily get a new model, all the TSB's fixed (my current car suffers from most of them!), I also love the 2.2D engine. KIA looks nice, interior is fine, not sure about how it drives though. Hope you get on the road again without being out of pocket too much.

"Engine Oil Warning Indication Warning light ON with DTC P06DE or P055F =Injector Washer Leaking" ( is for 2.2D UP to September 02, 2013 production date, after that date all cars made has the 'modified' parts and or install procedures)

"Lack of acceleration and or unusual brake pedal feeling" is the Camshaft/Rockers/Turbo issue (is for 2.2D UP to September 17, 2013 production date, after that date all cars made has 'modified' parts and or install procedures, (the Brake Vac Pump was never the real and actual problem and is now not renewed))

Mazda have responded late yesterday afternoon and are footing the bill 100% for new injector seals, injector piping, camshaft, turbo and oil strainer. So a pleasing outcome on that.

Good to see and so they should, apart from the hassles, as a general rule, they are pretty good.
No car brand is perfect, they would go broke, but as a Mazda guy I am very disappointed that these bugs were not eliminate before production of their new 2.2 SA-D, it is not like them.
Proves my point, that one should never buy a first of model, wait at least until the next update, about 3 years, and yes I know, it can be out-dated by then, but....
Good news for you WNJ. ;)

That's good to hear! At least you are not out of pocket.

I just spoke to the salesman who sold me my car just over 2 years ago, he has gave me the settlement figure for the finance, the invoice arrives on Tuesday, pay it straight away and then I own the car. Looks like I will be changing to a new model in mid July, I see a nice silver one, 150ps AWD MT, 5 year guarantee. Now I just have to see what they offer me for my current car, I don't know if the extended 2 year warranty will transfer with the car, it just had a service too so I am hoping for a good price.

Back