Just another yellow P5 build...

Thanks, another question. Since the sway bar is mounted on the riser, you no longer have to have to have the sway bar end links attached to the strut?

Thanks, another question. Since the sway bar is mounted on the riser, you no longer have to have to have the sway bar end links attached to the strut?

Correct.

And I managed to snap some pictures of the lip. Its not perfect, and it definitely looks better in person. But here it is:

4fb686dd-0744-4575-9c59-ef9c5c273f60_zpsuhy0wera.jpg

d19848d3-e363-4dde-9b76-a7c551750def_zpshy4f0mgw.jpg

Dropped it ever-so-slightly more also

552f89dc-6a83-4a86-8845-2e5d752ce08a_zpsdaybfd2o.jpg

But I need to learn how to take better pictures, I want some that actually look good. And its always dark...

And here is a part of what i've been up to lately.

I recently replaced my rear motor mount and decided it was time to fill my passenger and transmission mounts with polyurethane. I used the cheap stuff, loc-tite pl from lowes. Its tan. But for 6 bucks, no complaints. I just plastidipped over it. And It dried really hard, which is good.

And i didnt like the damper bracket on the tranny mount, so i cut that off.

003_zpsbp04eypy.jpg

004_zpsl0fvipqi.jpg

Thanks. It's going to stay black. It'll get all scraped up anyway. I already scraped it pretty good in my college parking lot the other night. The parking lot is under construction, and there was a new one way section that I got trapped in and there was a steep driveway at the bottom. No biggie though. The lip actually folded under a little bit.

I think thats ok, the colour of the lip stills fits the grill, rims and headlights, so its not that flashy. Scratched lips are fine, as long as you dont destroy them. Thats the price you have to pay for good looks :) I have a lip myself but i will paint it for sure, because id doesnt fit my colour.

I think thats ok, the colour of the lip stills fits the grill, rims and headlights, so its not that flashy. Scratched lips are fine, as long as you dont destroy them. Thats the price you have to pay for good looks :) I have a lip myself but i will paint it for sure, because id doesnt fit my colour.

What kind of lip?

This build just blew my mind. Your p5 is so nice, it makes me feel guilty about the mold problem in mine. I gotta bypass my heater core and then drizair out the cab. Then it's a good wash down with baking soda and vinegar Haha

I've been lazy and havn't updated this thread in a while. So heres whats happened over the last few weeks. I finally got my other two racing harts repaired, painted, and tires mounted. I got my ze valve cover, 1.8 coil conversion, and cb7 wires set up and routed how i like it.

AAAAAAAAAAAAA%20015_zpsvbpxicy7.jpg

AAAAAAAAAAAAA%20016_zpsofwzo6od.jpg

Got a new shift knob from Avenue Performance. Highly recommend. Good weight, nice finish, and comparatively cheap too.

AAAAAAAAAAAAA%20017_zpstfgrsrmk.jpg

And in bigger news, these showed up today.

AAAAAAAAAAAAA%20008_zpszyjtenev.jpg

AAAAAAAAAAAAA%20002_zps5vm6dyfb.jpg

Pretty excited about the coils. Its too bad i'm gunna be rollin on such huge tires for a while though.

Where did you buy yours and what type did you buy I can't find any for a p5 or even a protege. Are there any of the newer models that are capatable with the p5's?

curious how the ride will be on those coils. might be due for a strut replacement shortly.

I think they ride great. I recently upped my preload and damping a little bit, so they are a little harsher than before, but still nothing to really complain about. My setup rode alot better on my old 215/45/17's though. It actually felt smoother than my eibach prokit springs on stock struts.

Mine runs pretty rough. Same coilovers, I have mine set to factory default from Yellowspeed, which is I think 15 clicks from the softest setting. Though sometimes I worry the stiffer shocks might have a negative impact on the oem ball joints. They are rough in cold weather until they warm up

thats what im kinda shopping for.. i think my blues are pretty much done. i have eibach sportlines but the ride is just aweful and im pretty sure the dampers are done. i expect stiffer ect with stiffer springs but its like.. jarring on all bumps now. not that springy but the bump stiffness just too aggressive.
its either yellowspeed or bcracing for me, but a strut thats more street friendly is prefered. stiff shocks will definitely transfer more energy to the chassis. id want to run them on full soft and have the suspension absorb everything ha.

I believe factory settings were 12F/8R. Not 100% sure though. And I've noticed that if you run the dampers too soft, it feels a little under-dampened. Gets a little bouncy. You just have to find the sweet spot. I thought it rode pretty nicely at 12f/8r. And it rode even better at around 10/7. Lower than 5 though, the ride starts to suffer. I'm currently running 24/19. It's still not bad too bad.

Last edited:
My rear shocks are set firmer than the fronts but the springs are just a set of king spring lows, keeps it very streetable, as Jackie chan said you need to find the sweet spot, test drive too as varying the stiffness from front to rear can change the amount of understeer/oversteer, our cars understeer from factory and it's taken hunting for the right parts, time and money but I have virtually no understeer now which is lots of fun!

Yup, if I were to track the car, the rear stiffness would be cranked up more. But rear stiffness does effect ride quality more. I'm very happy with my progress swaybar though, which pretty much got rid of any tendency to under steer. And a little camber in the front helped too. It will oversteer now if you're not careful in the rain.

Back