Just another yellow P5 build...

my goodness your 40s look so TINY lol. very clean though esp your wire mess. that is something id like to do to my msp when i get around to working on it again.

Not much to update, but I finally found a gear oil that I love. Over the years I've tried Redline MTL, MT90 and Mobil1 75w90. I'd definately have to say the mobil1 was the worst of the three. And I always had the same problem. It would be fantastic for the first hundred miles or so, and then it would continually get worse over time. Shifting when cold would be crunchy to the point where double clutching became necessary. It was gradual though, so I would just tend to subconsciously adapt to it, not really realizing how much it sucked. I figured my synchros were just wearing out, which they are, but hopefully they wont get bad too soon. But anyway, after reading some very old threads about some people using GM or Pennzoil synchromesh, and having good reviews, i figured i might as well give it a shot. I went down and picked up three quarts of Pennzoil for like 7.99 each. And well, its amazing. I have been very happy with it. I've had it in for a couple of weeks now, and my trans shifts like new. No more getting blocked out of second or grinding into third. And downshifting is super fun again. But we'll see how it lasts over time.

Last edited:
I know the syncromesh is big in the Honda community, but didn't hear many Mazda folk running it. Glad to hear you like it so far though. I think a tranny flush/fill will be next for me. Did you just drain the old stuff and refill?

im definitely going to have to try that. I put mobil 1 in my tranny when i replaced the clutch and my experience has been almost identical to yours lol

+1 for the pennzoil. when i built my p5 i asked for oem spec gear oil and thats what he gave me. no joke its smoother than the royal purple i had been running and no trans noise. i feel like a chump for spend the $70 on the purple stuff now heh.

Swapped my rear motor mount. What a pain that was. The old one was completely destroyed. Ive noticed a Big improvement in driving smoothness and shift quality. And I also put on an s204 lip. It looks pretty good so far, still perfecting the fitment.

Love the car man! Wish my engine bay looked that clean but I plan on keeping A/C and maybe powersteering lol. How hard was it to relocate all the sensors from on top of the manifold and the tuck the wires that go on top of the fuel rail and over the valve cover?

And hows no power steering going for ya?

Last edited:
Did you go with an OEM or aftermarket mount?

Stock, but not oem. It was a DEA cheapo one. The three holes in the mount were drilled poorly and had to be filed out a little bit to fit over the studs. $21 dollars, but would not recommend.

Love to see some pics of the lip on the car.

Working on that, weather sucks right now.

Love the car man! Wish my engine bay looked that clean but I plan on keeping A/C and maybe powersteering lol. How hard was it to relocate all the sensors from on top of the manifold and the tuck the wires that go on top of the fuel rail and over the valve cover? And hows no power steering going for ya?

Hey thanks. Tucking those wires wasnt hard at all. Especially the part of the harness that runs across the VC down to the PS/AC. The three sensors on top of the maniflod are mounted on that metal peice, i just took it zip tied that whole thing to the horizontal pipe that goes to the charcoal cannister. Just start carefully cutting and unwrapping the wires, then re-wrap each set of wires individually from the point where they meet the main harness. Then just snake them under the intake manifold one by one.

And So far, I have loved not having power steering. As long as you keep your tires properly inflated its not bad at all. I can do anything and get anywhere I used to. Parking used to take a little more effort, but you get used to it really fast. A little camber helps too.

Hey really clean build!!

Curious about that plate that is covering the fuel rail... was it custom? do you have more pics of it?

As well when you removed the PS did you do the DEPOWER of the steering rack?

Thanks man. The plate covering the fuel rail is just a peice of plastic I cut out and painted vht wrinkle black. Its fastened with two bolts through two tabs on the fuel rail. It was actually cut from the lid of an old broken rubbermaid tub I had haha.

And my steering rack is not gutted, so its not technically a full depowered rack. I just hooked the lines to a reservoir. I thought i was going to initially, but because it drives just fine as is, it can wait for now.

Not really. They run how they did stock, they are just cut right behind the valve cover and run more towards the passenger side of the car to that reservior.

Was just going through your build again and want to get the Megan Trailing arms and F/R links with a progress bar. I guess you can say that I want to copy you lol. Where did you get the motorcycle bar clamps at?

Any pics of the lip yet? Just installed an STI lip on my MSP lip and I love the way it looks!

Hey, cool. I got the risers off of ebay for $15

Specifically these ones:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Universal-Handlebar-Risers-Kit-7-8-Bars-Mounts-Clamp-22mm-Dirt-Bike-XQ-/131556828056?hash=item1ea165e398:g:p6UAAOSwyQtVpNTn&vxp=mtr

You will need to file out the hole in the risers a little bit to fit around the megan links.

But if I were to do it all over again, I would go with these:
http://www.king6fab.com/swayattach.html

Theyre a bit more money, but alot easier to get set up and cleaner looking. and there is definately alot of cool suff on that website.

And the swaybar links are just male and female 3/8x24 rod ends.

And sorry, no pics of the lip yet, its been raining.

Last edited:
Came across your build just now...
Wow.. Just Wow. I am speechless. The quality of it and attention to details amazes me. Engine bay is like.. i cant find any words to describe how i felt when i saw it. I am driving my mazda for 3 years now and i have seen a lot of engine bays. But this one. I want to screenshot it and put it in my workplace for times when i lose my motivation to build my own. I think i found my guide! :)
Awesome job, continue to please us with more photos!
Greetings from Europe, Baltic states!

Back