Just another yellow P5 build...

Damn! You even managed to make the coil packs look good on top of the engine! I'm thinking this is my new favorite build :D

I didn't like how the plug and wire stuck straight up. I made that bracket so I could clock the sensor backwards. The bracket bolts to the valve cover and the sensor bolts to the bracket. Kinda tricky getting the bracket bent correctly so the sensor seats flush. Thats the only thing that matters.

And thanks smoke, I'm pretty excited about how everything is going to look. The new valve cover is going to be painted the same, and I've got some red Bosch 7mm wires coming in.

Probably pretty good, You'd have to rewrap the rest of the leather so it would all be the same thickness. I can sew a little bit, but not like that. haha

I know that redline and others make steering wheel covers that you stitch yourself. Doing it like that might be kind of fun.

Last edited:
My new wires came in
6-16-15%20001_zpszvyi2j3q.jpg

And I got some more stuff shaved off the new valve cover
6-16-15%20003_zpsycpnaatq.jpg

6-16-15%20005_zpsoxxsqpme.jpg
6-16-15%20006_zpszyd8mbsc.jpg

6-16-15%20008_zpspx3h5kgj.jpg

6-16-15%20010_zpsxrdympv8.jpg

I was doing some thinking today. And I've come to the conclusion that putting a breather on the valve cover is stupid. Basically when doing this, you are creating a huge vacuum leak whenever the pcv opens. When the pcv opens, the intake manifold is supposed to suck crankcase gasses and fresh air from the intake pipe. The key here is that the nipple on the intake is located behind the maf sensor. This means that it will be sucking metered air. When you cap the intake nipple and put a breather on the valve cover, the crankcase becomes flooded with unmetered air. Then your pcv inhales it and this isn't beneficial to anything.

I have a couple detailing questions, since you said you were a "car washing enthusiast" I'm assuming you know more than me.
1. What do you clean your engine bay with? It looks immaculate
2. Best wash tool: brush, sponge, or mitt?
3. What wash soap/shampoo/etc would you recommend? The one I have now isn't working too well..

Thanks!

you're car is too clean. you are banned.

seriously tho good job. if i keep seeing these incredibly clean (as in well done and actually not dirty) i might have to get off my ass and clean up my disaster of a car. ugh. again, brilliant job.

Changed trans fluid from redline 75w90 to Mobil1. And I must say, so far its much smoother. I was getting some crunchy shifts before.
Also primed my valve cover and put a new battery and air filter in our MPV. The MPV has been setting for a while and when I started it up today, it sounded terrible. I popped the hood and the front exhaust manifold was glowing. Clogged cat... might scrap it...

I've been lazy and havn't updated this thread in a while. So heres whats happened over the last few weeks. I finally got my other two racing harts repaired, painted, and tires mounted. I got my ze valve cover, 1.8 coil conversion, and cb7 wires set up and routed how i like it.

AAAAAAAAAAAAA%20015_zpsvbpxicy7.jpg

AAAAAAAAAAAAA%20016_zpsofwzo6od.jpg

Got a new shift knob from Avenue Performance. Highly recommend. Good weight, nice finish, and comparatively cheap too.

AAAAAAAAAAAAA%20017_zpstfgrsrmk.jpg

And in bigger news, these showed up today.

AAAAAAAAAAAAA%20008_zpszyjtenev.jpg

AAAAAAAAAAAAA%20002_zps5vm6dyfb.jpg

Pretty excited about the coils. Its too bad i'm gunna be rollin on such huge tires for a while though.

Nice stuff man! The valve cover looks so clean, very jealous! I know yellowspeeds are one of the most picked coils for the P5, so hope they're good for you too (thumb)

thanks man, I hope so too. So far the quality seems great. aside from the slightly bendy brake line tabs, not that it really matters.

Good choice, I absolutely love my Yellowspeeds. Though you might need new front end links. After dropping my P5 the mounting tabs were too low compared to where the OEM links ended. Had to buy a set of 8"(I think) links to replace them

Was something like this-

Rears were ok. But I'm gonna replace them all with adjustables soon

Alright, front coilovers are installed along with some whiteline adjustable endlinks. My god they are so smooth. I never really thought of my eibachs as being rough, but compared to the yellowspeeds they were actually pretty bouncy. Haven't installed the rears yet, because I am working on a way to attach my progress swaybar to the lateral links, rather than the strut. I've got some 7/8 motorcycle bar risers coming in that will clamp to my megan lateral links. I will then be able to attach the swaybar link to that and run the progress bar below the lateral links rather than above them. This is all because you can't go very low with the progress bar.

Sounds like a win! Interesting fab work you're planning for the rear, but keen to see it. Where did you get the whiteline endlinks? I was deciding between those and the Moog Escape one's, need to read some more on the advantages on going adjustable. Anyways, good stuff! (thumb)

Back