High Mileage 2.5L skyactive

I just bought a 2015 M6 GT with 62k miles for $16k plus ttl. Yeah, they'll be sitting on it for a while.

I just bought a 2014 M6 Touring 6 speed manual last week, It has 121,600 miles on it currently. I put about 500 on it so far myself, its runs and drives no different than the 2 I test drove prior to purchasing this that had 30-40k on the odometer. I also paid close to half the cost for this car as those lower mileage ones. I unfortunately can't say what the previous owner may have repaired, but I don't imagine much, these post Ford owned Mazda's seem to be on another level.

Last edited:
2015 mazda 6

70,000 KM or roughly 44,000 miles. it's my dads car and he drives super conservatively, but everything has been holding up really well so far except for one issue - seems like the intake ports already need a walnut blast from the DI. the engine is not quite as smooth as before and there is this very strange intake grumbling sound once you shift into the next gear at low rpm, and the CEL goes on occasionally because of this but it has not come back lately. other then this, engine pulls strong and everything works well.

we were using castrol 0w20 originally and it burned roughly 1 quart every 9000KM. we switched to liqui-moly 5w30 (very good quality german oil) and we will simply never switch back. engine runs much, much smoother and quieter now. feels a lot more refined and oil consumption has essentially been slashed in half.

oh and guys, keep in mind that the skyactiv motor is just a mazda L engine with the skyactiv bits added to it, like revised cylinder head, higher compression domed pistons, DI, the 4 -2-1 exhaust header, etc. so it makes sense to simply do research on the Mazda L motor to get a better idea of what sort of reliability to expect in the long run.

one thing i can recommend (other then using 5w30 oil) is to give the engine a good rip every now and then to keep the intake ports clean.

Love the CX-5, just wish it wasn't geared quite as low as it is. The mileage definitely suffers.

by low gearing, do you mean that the gears are too short or too long?

I find that the gears are too long when doing full throttle pulls, but the car is really, really well geared when revving to 3-4000rpm. basically the whole drivetrain is tuned around the mid range punch from the 2.5L and the transmission gearing is well calibrated toward this. what do you think?

oh and guys, keep in mind that the skyactiv motor is just a mazda L engine with the skyactiv bits added to it, like revised cylinder head, higher compression domed pistons, DI, the 4 -2-1 exhaust header, etc. so it makes sense to simply do research on the Mazda L motor to get a better idea of what sort of reliability to expect in the long run.

one thing i can recommend (other then using 5w30 oil) is to give the engine a good rip every now and then to keep the intake ports clean.

The skyactiv engine share no common parts or design with the previous generation MZR's.

The skyactiv engine share no common parts or design with the previous generation MZR's.

Correct.

I do not know what is up with the molestor , but he intends on spreading false stuff all over each of the forums here.

Correct.

I do not know what is up with the molestor , but he intends on spreading false stuff all over each of the forums here.

Exactly, had to correct same type of statement already in a cx-5 thread...the only current automaker that is still using MZR blocks or any other MZR parts is Ford.

Correct.

Exactly, had to correct same type of statement already in a cx-5 thread...the only current automaker that is still using MZR blocks or any other MZR parts is Ford.

Oh, so you guys have taken apart the Mazda L engine and directly compared it to the skyactiv version? The blocks are the same. Fundamentally the skyactiv is an updated evolution of the L. They share the same block.

Oh, so you guys have taken apart the Mazda L engine and directly compared it to the skyactiv version? The blocks are the same. Fundamentally the skyactiv is an updated evolution of the L. They share the same block.

??? Sorry, nothing about your statement is correct. (help)

The blocks are not the same.

Here are the part numbers for both blocks. The old 2.5 L series block is nearly twice the price.... (according to you, you could just buy the half priced skyactiv block and use that)

Mazda Genuine Factory Part

Skyactiv Block

Fits 2014 Mazda 6 Grand Touring

Part Number: PY0110300B $818.32

or

Mazda Genuine Factory Part

L series Block

Fits 2013 Mazda 6 i

Part Number: L59110300A $1394.00

None of the gaskets are shared between the two engines either...

I read about every article I could get my hands on when Mazda severed ties with Ford and came out with Skyactiv...just do some Google searching of old articles from 2012 about Skyactiv technology. Go on YouTube and watch old videos about Skyactiv from 2012 as well. All the skyactiv technology was developed new from the ground up. Everything, chassis, engines, transmissions, literally everything was new from the ground up. Never did they merely upgrade the old C1 global platform or the old MZR motors and transmissions. Like I said before the only automaker today who still produces MZR motor blocks and the C1 global platform is Ford.

Back