High Mileage 2.5L skyactive

RICHspeed7

:
2012 Mazdaspeed 3
Ok so the 2.5L skyactive motors have been around for almost 3 years now and I think we should start compiling a thread to track the longevity and reliability of this particular motor.
Pictures of odometer, brief maintenance history, any major mechanical failures, how long you have owned it, and driving style would all be good things to list also.
Here is my info:
Bought my 2014 Mazda 6 sport auto February 2014 for my wife. I had a 2012 speed 3. Long story short she is the boss, I sold my MS3, Bought her a cx9 and took over the Mazda 6. I drive at LEAST 110 miles round trip 5-6 days a week. I drive pretty conservative with the occasional WOT here and there to pass. I change my own oil and filter every 6500-7000 with valvoline 0w-20 full synthetic and a purolator pureONE oil filter or a Bosch. No major mechanical issues at 38,327 miles of writing this. uploadfromtaptalk1433846777297.png

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

I don't have a picture of the odometer, but my 14' 2.5 manual sport 6 has 65k. I bought it new in April 13' with around 400 miles on it. Castrol Edge Syntec 0w-20 with a Bosch 3300 filter every 5k. Factory Yokohoma's gone at 27k.
Pirelli P7 Cinturato on wear bars at 57k. I'll be trying Michelin Premiers next. Had a problem with warped rotors at 20k. Had them turned and had the same issue even sooner. Put a set of Centric premium rotors (120.45084) and Wagner Thermoquiet (QC1711) Ceramic pads on at 52k. New brakes feel great after 13k miles. Engine runs as strong as new, burns no oil and has no issues whatsoever. I have not been back to the dealer since new. I have not used any fuel treatment and run 87 octane 10% ethanol fuel. Driving is mostly country backroads in the NC foothills and mountains taking corners way harder than I should (probably why I am eating tires and brakes), and I am still very happy with my purchase of this car. I would say average fuel economy has been around 34 mpg, and I do not baby this car. I hope to see 200k with no issues.

I don't have a picture of the odometer, but my 14' 2.5 manual sport 6 has 65k. I bought it new in April 13' with around 400 miles on it. Castrol Edge Syntec 0w-20 with a Bosch 3300 filter every 5k. Factory Yokohoma's gone at 27k.
Pirelli P7 Cinturato on wear bars at 57k. I'll be trying Michelin Premiers next. Had a problem with warped rotors at 20k. Had them turned and had the same issue even sooner. Put a set of Centric premium rotors (120.45084) and Wagner Thermoquiet (QC1711) Ceramic pads on at 52k. New brakes feel great after 13k miles. Engine runs as strong as new, burns no oil and has no issues whatsoever. I have not been back to the dealer since new. I have not used any fuel treatment and run 87 octane 10% ethanol fuel. Driving is mostly country backroads in the NC foothills and mountains taking corners way harder than I should (probably why I am eating tires and brakes), and I am still very happy with my purchase of this car. I would say average fuel economy has been around 34 mpg, and I do not baby this car. I hope to see 200k with no issues.
Great post! Thank you for that. My factory tires are still going, probably just below half life, but I also run a dedicated set of steelies and general altimax arctic winter tires, (fantastic tire BTW) so my stockers will last me awhile. I am contemplating doing a used oil analysis to see how the valvoline is holding up at my 6500-7000 intervals. I don't know how much fuel dilution plays a roll on this motor compared to my MS3. Also has anyone considered a valve cleaning to help the gunk along or is that also just a MS3/6 thing?
Also where did you buy your rotors and pads from. I know tirerack sometimes runs a killer deal on centric rotors with free shipping.

I honestly can't remember where I got the rotors. I'm thinking partsgeek.com, I just bought them where I found them cheapest. I know Mazda offers a "decarb" service, which is basically cleaning the valves. As far as dilution, I know I can smell gasoline in my oil, but I'm not sure how much it's thinning it.

Glad to see these cars seem to have very little growing pains, especially for an all new design.

Lol "decarb" service. If it's anything liquid, they are stealing your money. Fuel doesn't see the intake valves or runners. Walnut media blasting or scrubbing the valves with brushes manually is the only good way.

Ok so the 2.5L skyactive motors have been around for almost 3 years now and I think we should start compiling a thread to track the longevity and reliability of this particular motor.
Pictures of odometer, brief maintenance history, any major mechanical failures, how long you have owned it, and driving style would all be good things to list also.
Here is my info:
Bought my 2014 Mazda 6 sport auto February 2014 for my wife. I had a 2012 speed 3. Long story short she is the boss, I sold my MS3, Bought her a cx9 and took over the Mazda 6. I drive at LEAST 110 miles round trip 5-6 days a week. I drive pretty conservative with the occasional WOT here and there to pass. I change my own oil and filter every 6500-7000 with valvoline 0w-20 full synthetic and a purolator pureONE oil filter or a Bosch. No major mechanical issues at 38,327 miles of writing this.View attachment 211290

What has your fuel mileage been?

What has your fuel mileage been?
The picture shows what I am averaging this tank and what I usually average. In the summer months I am always around 35mpg and that is very mixed city/highway. Long trips to Florida and it gets as advertised just over 39mpg.

20k miles in a '14 Mazda 6 GT - Still getting 37-40mpg in mixed slower highway driving. No mechanical issues, but the battery has always checked out around 450 CCA. The OEM Dunlop tires are at 5/32" at this mileage too, and I will be replacing them soon with Yokohama Advan Sport A/S tires in a month or two. Solid car so far, no brake rotor issues like was mentioned above.

Well I created this thread too soon. Car just incurred almost $9,000 in hail damage a few nights ago. I can say one thing, Mazda makes/buys some good ass glass, because every single body panel on my car had damage from golf ball all the way to baseball sized hail, and I watched them bounce right off the glass.

61k on my 2014 touring 6. I had the 2 recalls fixed, factory junk Dunlops were done at 31k, replaced with Pirelli P7 Cinturato. Change oil every 10k with Royal Purple 0W-20 and Mazda oil filter and have tires rotated every 7500k at Discount tires. No other issues. Have noticed brakes are warped very slightly, but has been that way since about 40k. Hasn't gotten any worse. So I'm going to run them until they need replaced. Otherwise, averaging 32.2 mpg with all miles tracked on fuelly. The car is still as solid as day 1 surprisingly. Hopefully it will keep going at least another 75k without any major issues and I can trade it off on something new.

61k on my 2014 touring 6. I had the 2 recalls fixed, factory junk Dunlops were done at 31k, replaced with Pirelli P7 Cinturato. Change oil every 10k with Royal Purple 0W-20 and Mazda oil filter and have tires rotated every 7500k at Discount tires. No other issues. Have noticed brakes are warped very slightly, but has been that way since about 40k. Hasn't gotten any worse. So I'm going to run them until they need replaced. Otherwise, averaging 32.2 mpg with all miles tracked on fuelly. The car is still as solid as day 1 surprisingly. Hopefully it will keep going at least another 75k without any major issues and I can trade it off on something new.
What 2 recalls?

25000 miles - 29 months. No issues other than a reflash of the Navigation unit. Car is noisier than I would like - have the Dunlops and believe part the noise issue to due to tire noise.

I am at 73,000 miles and counting. Not one issue out of the normal so far. Replaced the front pads and rotors with some junk from advanced auto parts forgot the specific details, and replaced the stock dunlops at 57,000 miles with Cooper CS5 grand touring tires and those tires have been amazing. I fully expect them to get me to 110,000-120,000 miles no problem.
Oil changes every 7,500-8,000 miles no burning oil and comes out pretty clean still. Due for spark plugs soon, we will see how those look. I'll keep you all posted.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Traded my '14 6 in at 84k in July I think? Still sitting on the dealer lot as they are absolutely crazy on their asking price! Still was trouble free and nothing mechanically wrong at 84k when traded. Now the owner of a 16.5 CX-5 with my same rims off my Mazda 6 I bought aftermarket. Love the CX-5, just wish it wasn't geared quite as low as it is. The mileage definitely suffers. But, I do love my CX-5 and the AWD is great. I was pleasantly surprised.

Traded my '14 6 in at 84k in July I think? Still sitting on the dealer lot as they are absolutely crazy on their asking price! Still was trouble free and nothing mechanically wrong at 84k when traded. Now the owner of a 16.5 CX-5 with my same rims off my Mazda 6 I bought aftermarket. Love the CX-5, just wish it wasn't geared quite as low as it is. The mileage definitely suffers. But, I do love my CX-5 and the AWD is great. I was pleasantly surprised.

How much did they give you for your Mazda 6? The dealership has been bugging me to trade mine in to get me into something new but it's paid off and I like no payments.

Absolutely terrible. I washed it at least 2x weekly, no scratches, no dents, husky liners in the car since day 1, waxed in every 2 or 3 months, nothing wrong at all. It did need new tires, but they only gave me $11,750. They currently have it on the lot $16,400 with 84k on it. I tried selling it outright for 5 months prior and was actually down to $12k and didn't have a single email, call, or text on it. Had it on Autotrader, craigslist, and many Facebook buy/sell/trade vehicles sites locally. The dealership that has it(http://www.jungemazda.com/used/Mazda/2014-Mazda-Mazda6-7fc30fc10a0e0ae8595b246ca90ba8cd.htm) hasn't dropped the price at all. They will be sitting on it for another 6+ months as they've already had it since July of 16.

Wow that's crazy. I'll probably never sell mine because the body has so much hail damage, but it's nice to know what they are going for. $16,000 is high considering I paid $22,000 brand new for mine.

Ya, they will never get close to that. It should sell for about $13500 maybe at best. I paid $23,500 for it. They are smoking something good to even list it for $16,400! They will be sitting on it for a while! On the flip side-it does have brand new rims/tires on it as those are the factory ones that came on my 16.5 CX-5.

Back