Updating the firmware from V.51 to V.55 on your own?

Can I just copy and paste this script into a notepad file and call it a day?

No. Read that stuff again in more detail.

Windows uses carriage returns that Linux doesn't understand. If you try to save a Linux script in Notepad, in Windows it will look fine, but in Linux everything will be on a single line. You will either have to use the file that he hosted (DO NOT open it in a Windows text editor), or write the script yourself on a Linux or Mac machine in a text editor on either of those platforms.

This is the correct way to do it.

Thanks.

I posted up above, but with with the massive quotes it got missed.

Are you experiencing any slow responses when skipping favorite radio channels using the steering wheel control? Seeing a delay after the update that wasn't there before.

I upgraded to 55.750 and also applied the Infotainment tweaks, using a USB drive. Everything worked flawlessly.
Thanks a lot to everyone involved.

This is probably a stupid question, but can this firmware update be applied to the 2013 CX-5 system?

The V.55 update went fine, but I can't get the tweaks file to work. I copied the .txt file to a FAT32 formatted USB stick and then renamed it tweaks.sh. I plugged it in and the light on the USB drive blinked for a few seconds, but nothing else seemed to happen. I still can't use the touch screen while the car is moving. What have I missed?

see posts 22 and 23 above
likely a file format error trying to use a linux file in windows when renaming

start with a freshly formatted usb stick, FAT32

The V.55 update went fine, but I can't get the tweaks file to work. I copied the .txt file to a FAT32 formatted USB stick and then renamed it tweaks.sh. I plugged it in and the light on the USB drive blinked for a few seconds, but nothing else seemed to happen. I still can't use the touch screen while the car is moving. What have I missed?

First of all you need to give it some time. It takes about 5 minutes before the message comes up "tweaks applied". Did you get this message? If so, did you reboot the system after the tweaks were applied?

If you have to do it again, I'd suggest doing a full format of your USB drive vs a quick format and then do it exactly as I described in #21.

I renamed the file on an OSX machine, but did the format on a Windows computer. I never saw a message "tweaks applied". Where does it appear? I think the nav screen was on when I drove for about 15 minutes after inserting the USB drive. Should I insert the drive after the car is running or before I start it? How do you reboot?

Thanks.

First of all you need to give it some time. It takes about 5 minutes before the message comes up "tweaks applied". Did you get this message? If so, did you reboot the system after the tweaks were applied?

If you have to do it again, I'd suggest doing a full format of your USB drive vs a quick format and then do it exactly as I described in #21.

I renamed the file on an OSX machine, but did the format on a Windows computer. I never saw a message "tweaks applied". Where does it appear? I think the nav screen was on when I drove for about 15 minutes after inserting the USB drive. Should I insert the drive after the car is running or before I start it? How do you reboot?

Thanks.

"Tweaks applied" shows up on the top of the infotainment screen.

There's no need to drive the car. Just hit start once without touching the brake and insert the USB drive, wait 5 minutes for the message and then reboot.

Just sat in my car staring at the screen for 10+ minutes and the tweaks file never ran. Is there any way to force it to run?

Are you sure you are running the right file?
Are you sure your memory stick is less than 16GB & formatted FAT32?
Are you inserting the stick first, then booting up the system?

If all these are correct, it should work fine. I timed mine, and it took exactly 2:45 to complete. If it won't run after checking all these parameters, it may be best to have someone help you, I'd hate to see you brick your system by forcing something.

Thanks guys, the tweak worked.
I unzipped the files right into a freshly formatted 32 gig usb, plugged it in, and it worked right away.

It seems like those who got the tweak to work started with Apply_Tweaks_USB.zip. I tried with tweaks.sh.txt and have had no success (yes, I deleted .txt). The link to Apply_Tweaks_USB.zip on the Mazda 3 site leads to a New Zealand file sharing site which won't let me download the file. Can Apply_Tweaks_USB.zip be found anywhere else to download?

Thanks.

Why won't it let you download the file? Do you have cookies enabled in your browser? That seems to be a prerequisite...

I applied the tweaks this afternoon. Got the .zip file (not sure if there are different versions out there, but since I have .650 installed and not .750B I got the one from the first posting after .650 came out), extracted it to a USB stick and then replaced the tweaks.sh file with the corrected version posted a few messages later. Got some message at the end about data upload complete or something like that, and then my screen went black. Did not reboot the system (forgot about that) and just pressed the home button, and it came back on. It seems to have worked because now that annoying "press the button to acknowledge blah blah blah" message when you start the system disappears after a fraction of a second.

Did the update yesterday. A little nervous about possibly messing it up but everything went smoothly.

My advice, print the directions, be patient and take your time.

Back