Updating the firmware from V.51 to V.55 on your own?

eniahal

:
Mazda 2018 CX-5 GT Tech
Just curious if anyone tried updating the firmware by themselves? If so, are there any challenge throughout the process?

Best,

A

you need to go to a dealer, this was verified by another user here. The firmware upgrade is behind a password protected wall only accessible by the dealer. At least this is the case now.

you need to go to a dealer, this was verified by another user here. The firmware upgrade is behind a password protected wall only accessible by the dealer. At least this is the case now.

Wrong. I did mine last week. And applied the hacks that let you change the wallpaper, removes the restriction for listening to text messages while driving, and puts a sub 1-second auto kill on the "Don't use this while driving" nav screen.

Wrong. I did mine last week. And applied the hacks that let you change the wallpaper, removes the restriction for listening to text messages while driving, and puts a sub 1-second auto kill on the "Don't use this while driving" nav screen.

How do you get the firmware and apply it?

I just upgraded mine to Rev 55. The firmware is really simple to do.

I'm still researching the hacks and not sure what all this SSH/Putty stuffs is and how to establish a car to computer ethernet connection????

Last edited:

Thanks, I wasn't aware a workaround existed online. I guess I'll just try this than to make a special trip to the dealer.

edit - I successfully updated to version 55.750. Took about 30 min total. Would love to tackle the speed restriction but I'm not feeling up to it...

Last edited:
I just upgraded mine to Rev 55. The firmware is really simple to do.

I'm still researching the hacks and not sure what all this SSH/Putty stuffs is and how to establish a car to computer ethernet connection????

Don't worry about trying to do that. If you aren't very familiar with Linux you'll likely brick that thing trying to make the necessary changes on your own. If you've upgraded to V55, there is a plug and play script that someone made called "tweaks.sh" that you just put on the root of a freshly formatted FAT32 USB flash drive and then just plug in to one of the USB ports. Turn the car on, wait a few minutes, and the script will run on its own. A message will eventually come up saying "hacks applied" or something like that, and all of the common hacks (speed disable stuff, etc.) will be applied for you. After that, reset the infotainment system by pressing and holding Nav, Back, and Mute for more than 10 seconds. Everything should then be applied.

Scroll down to post #1775

http://mazda3revolution.com/forums/...ectronics/57714-infotainment-project-178.html

Just rename the file (take off the .txt extension), and if you are running Windows, do NOT open it and save it in any Windows text editor (notepad, etc.) because Windows uses proprietary carriage return characters for text files that Linux/Unix/OSX don't use, and the script won't work right if those get saved in there (since your Infotainment system is Linux based).

Last edited:
Here's the script:

#! /bin/sh
echo 1 > /sys/class/gpio/Watchdog\ Disable/value
mount -o rw,remount /
chmod 755 /jci/gui/apps/system/js/systemApp.js
sed -i 's/this._disclaimerTime.remaining = 3500/this._disclaimerTime.remaining = 100/g' /jci/gui/apps/system/js/systemApp.js
/jci/scripts/set_lvds_speed_restriction_config.sh disable
/jci/scripts/set_speed_restriction_config.sh disable

Step by step:

The first line indicates that it's a shell script

The second line temporarily disables "Watchdog" - which is a service that runs on the system that monitors various things and causes the unit to reboot if certain conditions occur. I believe they put this in there because they're modifying system settings, and they don't want the unit rebooting in the middle of a hack being applied, which could cause problems.

The third line re-mounts the file system in read-write mode, vs read-only mode. This is so the script can make changes.

The fourth line changes permissions on the file indicated, to make it writable.

The fifth line alters a line in that file to greatly reduce the time that the warning message is displayed before it automatically times out on its own - from 3500 milliseconds to 100 milliseconds. Don't try to change this value. Someone in the thread tried "0" and it caused all kinds of problems. At the point when this comes up, the system is still booting anyway, so even if you set it to 10 (which someone else was able to do) it didn't go away any faster.

The sixth line and seventh lines disable the speed restrictions for the touch screen and for being able to do other things on the unit while the vehicle is going more than 3 mph - including the ability for the driver to accept and have the system read text messages if your paired phone supports that feature.

That's pretty much it for that script. There's another one that someone wrote for changing the background that is very similar in the way it works. You download the ZIP file, unzip everything in it to the root of a freshly formatted FAT32 USB drive (that detail is important to make these work), and just replace the background.png file that he supplies as an example with one that you want. There's a Photoshop PSD file over at http://mazda3hacks.com/doku.php?id=hacks:changebackgroundimage that is very helpful. If you have Photoshop you can use that to see what your background will look like with all of the infotainment GUI on top of it. The PNG file you use must be the exact same pixel dimensions as the one that the package supplies though, so take note of that.

Here's the background changer (see post #1801):

http://mazda3revolution.com/forums/...ectronics/57714-infotainment-project-181.html

OH - I should also note that if you are running OSX and you extract these things to ZIP files to USB sticks, you'll have to remove all of the stupid hidden .* files that OSX puts on the drive. For example, if you extract tweaks.sh to the USB stick, OSX will create a hidden file called ".tweaks.sh" and one called ".Trashes" etc. These are various files used for indexing and the Spotlight service, and obviously the trashcan function of the OSX UI. Those all have to be removed.

There's a free app called "Hidden Cleaner" that will remove these for you, but you have to do it every time you eject the USB stick after you've plugged it in.

http://www.macupdate.com/app/mac/52076/him

You can also remove them my plugging the USB stick in to a Windows machine and showing hidden files and deleting them, or deleting them from a Linux machine. You have to clear all of the files that begin with . from the drive. If those . files are there, the infotainment system won't execute the scripts. It won't break anything, it just won't work.

Last edited:
Here's mine. :)

mazda.jpg

Anyone experiencing slower radio station switching using the steering controls? My wife said after the update she noticed that skipping stations on her favorites was noticeably slower. I just put on the latest 55.750 version. Thanks.

Don't worry about trying to do that. If you aren't very familiar with Linux you'll likely brick that thing trying to make the necessary changes on your own. If you've upgraded to V55, there is a plug and play script that someone made called "tweaks.sh" that you just put on the root of a freshly formatted FAT32 USB flash drive and then just plug in to one of the USB ports. Turn the car on, wait a few minutes, and the script will run on its own. A message will eventually come up saying "hacks applied" or something like that, and all of the common hacks (speed disable stuff, etc.) will be applied for you. After that, reset the infotainment system by pressing and holding Nav, Back, and Mute for more than 10 seconds. Everything should then be applied.

Scroll down to post #1775

http://mazda3revolution.com/forums/...ectronics/57714-infotainment-project-178.html

Just rename the file (take off the .txt extension), and if you are running Windows, do NOT open it and save it in any Windows text editor (notepad, etc.) because Windows uses proprietary carriage return characters for text files that Linux/Unix/OSX don't use, and the script won't work right if those get saved in there (since your Infotainment system is Linux based).

Wow, that was so easy and worked like a charm. Thanks for posting!!

Here's the script:

#! /bin/sh
echo 1 > /sys/class/gpio/Watchdog\ Disable/value
mount -o rw,remount /
chmod 755 /jci/gui/apps/system/js/systemApp.js
sed -i 's/this._disclaimerTime.remaining = 3500/this._disclaimerTime.remaining = 100/g' /jci/gui/apps/system/js/systemApp.js
/jci/scripts/set_lvds_speed_restriction_config.sh disable
/jci/scripts/set_speed_restriction_config.sh disable

Step by step:

The first line indicates that it's a shell script

The second line temporarily disables "Watchdog" - which is a service that runs on the system that monitors various things and causes the unit to reboot if certain conditions occur. I believe they put this in there because they're modifying system settings, and they don't want the unit rebooting in the middle of a hack being applied, which could cause problems.

The third line re-mounts the file system in read-write mode, vs read-only mode. This is so the script can make changes.

The fourth line changes permissions on the file indicated, to make it writable.

The fifth line alters a line in that file to greatly reduce the time that the warning message is displayed before it automatically times out on its own - from 3500 milliseconds to 100 milliseconds. Don't try to change this value. Someone in the thread tried "0" and it caused all kinds of problems. At the point when this comes up, the system is still booting anyway, so even if you set it to 10 (which someone else was able to do) it didn't go away any faster.

The sixth line and seventh lines disable the speed restrictions for the touch screen and for being able to do other things on the unit while the vehicle is going more than 3 mph - including the ability for the driver to accept and have the system read text messages if your paired phone supports that feature.

That's pretty much it for that script. There's another one that someone wrote for changing the background that is very similar in the way it works. You download the ZIP file, unzip everything in it to the root of a freshly formatted FAT32 USB drive (that detail is important to make these work), and just replace the background.png file that he supplies as an example with one that you want. There's a Photoshop PSD file over at http://mazda3hacks.com/doku.php?id=hacks:changebackgroundimage that is very helpful. If you have Photoshop you can use that to see what your background will look like with all of the infotainment GUI on top of it. The PNG file you use must be the exact same pixel dimensions as the one that the package supplies though, so take note of that.

Here's the background changer (see post #1801):

http://mazda3revolution.com/forums/...ectronics/57714-infotainment-project-181.html

Can I just copy and paste this script into a notepad file and call it a day?

usually - but be sure to save as 'all files' and not .txt, using the exact same name

ie tweaks.sh should be saved as - all files, tweaks.sh

i noticed there was an updated .sh file in one post, was uploaded as a .txt file (probably because a lot of sites only allow certain attachment types)
in that case - just rename by removing the .txt extension

but read below - easier :)
and make sure you go through that very long thread to see if any changes were added, corrected later on

Last edited:
Back