No bottom gears!

xBoostedx

:
2003 Mazdaspeed Protege
Hey guys, been on here awhile but never posted. My car won't go into 2nd, 4th or reverse and its driving me absolutely insane. I looked over all my linkage replaced all the bushings and still no better. The gears got harder and harder to go into than one day I was on the highway and I couldn't shift into 4th or 2nd. I know it's internal I just want to know if anyone has had a similar problem any input would be greatly appreciated thanks!

If it is only 2nd, 4th and Reverse it sounds more like a shifter or linkage issue than a shift fork which would cause it to not shift into gear or get stuck in one gear.

That's what I was thinking too. I took off both bars for the linkage. Change the bushings and everything is fine externally except the rubber bushing at the end of the linkage to hold it level. It's all beat to s*** lol. Trying to the shifting with no linkage and you can hear it engage 1st 3rd 5th with no problem. 2 clicks and it's in but bottom gears is only one click. Never grinded once just lost the gears. No shavings when I drained the fluid. I just wanna know or have an idea of what it is before I tear the tranny out. Thanks

Last edited:
If you can get the car into 1st, 3rd, and 5th with the linkage disconnected then it is a problem with the shifter and there is no reason to pull the trans.

Back