Help with 2012 steering wheel questions

icspots

Paramagic
:
2012 Mazda 5
Howdy. Long time Mazda owner here, and I just picked up a used 2012 mz5 Sport yesterday. One of the things I'm already missing from my Mz3 is the leather wrapped steering wheel, and while it isn't super high on my list of things to change I'm keeping my eyes out for a used leather wrapped wheel. While I can buy the wheel itself brand new from a dealer there's no way I'm dropping $230 on that..... so used it is.

Used wheels also tend to come with the various bits and pieces (though sometimes they're stripped), at which point I noticed the GT ones have the voice command and phone control buttons (presumably for use with the bluetooth systems on those models. That got me thinking about where those wires connect and where they go. Also how the BT works in the 5.

I'm already planning to replace the stereo (my AppRadio 4 should arrive in a few days). That's coming with a harness to mate up to all the OEM plugs and retain steering wheel controls. And that got me thinking of those extra controls. Mazda often leaves wiring for non-equipped systems in all of it's cars to save money on designing and installed multiple harnesses (e.g. the 5 is wired for heated side mirrors even though it doesn't come with them). So I'm wondering if the wiring for all those extra controls are present in my harness. Further does the bluetooth work through the stereo, or is it a separate module/system which interfaces with the stereo to use the speakers?

I realize just adding the controls to my stock equipment (even if the wiring exists) wouldn't do anything for me, however if it talks to the wires, and those wires talk to the new stereo would I then get handsfree control for call purposes?

So if anyone could chime in on info they have:
-How does the BT work in the 5?
-Has anyone pulled their GT steering wheel and noted what the wiring looked like? (pictures of the harness inside the column would also be okay)
-Anyone with a GT 5 installed a Pioneer app radio? Can you comment on what your voice control buttons do?
-Anyone with wiring diagrams able to see if the sport and GT have the same wiring to the column/wheel?

Last edited:
Mazda often leaves wiring for non-equipped systems in all of it's cars to save money on designing and installed multiple harnesses (e.g. the 5 is wired for heated side mirrors even though it doesn't come with them)

Doesn't seem to be the case anymore since YM '12 :-(
Engine harness + door harness seem to contains most options, but even with careful digging with the schematics and a DVM, I can't find the heating mirror +12V in what's called the "Rear Harness" (Inside the car).

Sport to GT Steering wheel (2013)

So if anyone could chime in on info they have:
-Has anyone pulled their GT steering wheel and noted what the wiring looked like? (pictures of the harness inside the column would also be okay)
?

I don't have any pics- but I did replace the stock Sport steering wheel with a GT leather wrapped wheel off of eBay. The additional audio buttons that the GT has did not work on my Sport (the volume, station, and mode buttons did work). After the install, I looked at some part diagrams on a mazda parts dealer website and found that the bluetooth features require an additional wiring harness and additional hardware.

Swapping out the steering wheels was a piece of cake, thanks to Youtube.

Here is a link to my thread: http://www.mazdas247.com/forum/showthread.php?123842178-2013-Mazda5-Sport-Trip-Computer-FAIL

Back