Need help deciding between two entry-level DSLR's please!

Taco Cat

:
'02.5 Mazda Protege5
Hey everyone, I didn't know if there was a specific section for photography related stuff so I figured I'd just ask it here. I am just your average joe guy with no "real" camera experience whatsoever. I've always used a cheapo sony digital camera or my phone, but I've recently acquired some spare cash and have decided to invest in a decent DSLR camera so I can "try" to take decent pictures now. My budget is $500 so after doing a basic "best dslr camer for under $500" I found the top two rated to be a https://www.amazon.com/dp/ (commissions earned) and the https://www.amazon.com/dp/ (commissions earned). The Nikon D3300 is $497 shipped from Amazon with a carrying pack and a 32 gb memory card, whereas the Canon is only $399 shipped (as-of 6-2-15). Both come with the basic 18-55mm lense. The Canon obviously wins for price, but just wondering if anyone has had experience with either/both? Looking for ease of use and quality of pictures really. I don't mind spending a couple hours messing with it though to learn how to use it though.

TL;DR- Nikon D3300 or Canon EOS Rebel T5 or other DSLR for under $500?? Why?

Thanks in advance!

Since I was in the same boat as you a few years ago, I'll make this easy for you. If you don't plan on going crazy with the pictures and are going to keep this a hobby, go for a cheaper model, perhaps the likes of T3 (on the Canon side). While I am always one for new electronics, if this is going to be used to mess around, you don't need top of the line. Also, if any of your friends have DSLRs, play with their's and see if you like it. When I got my Canon, my buddy was in the process of getting a Nikon. He is more into it than I, and now I wish I would have gotten a Nikon as well, only for the fact that I could borrow some of his goodies.

Finally, its not so much the body you get, its all in the lenses. The packaged lenses work, but aren't anything to write home about. Do yourself a favor and get a cheaper model and get some good glass.

Last edited:
Thanks for the quick reply and helpful advice! I plan to just do this as a hobby and never get too serious about it so I think the T3 will suit my needs. I asked around and my friend has a T3 and said I could borrow it to take some pictures for an upcoming show this Saturday. So if that all goes well and I like it I will be getting the T3 (thumb) Then I will start researching some good lenses to buy, but I probably don't need to get anything crazy with that either.

hmmm.....

buy the one that you like the menus and controls on better. Both Canon and Nikon make fabulous lenses. FWIW I have Nikon gear and have been very happy with it.

Back