2016 CX5 surprised by missing tie-downs

michaelveloz

:
2016 CX5 GT
So we got a roof rack to carry our kayaks, and went to secure them by running a rop from the front of the kayaks to a tie down under the front of the car and.. surprise!! no tie downs there. Then looked in the back, no tie downs there either!

Am I missing something? On the CRV I traded in for this (which is supposed less sporty than the mazda) there were three steel tie down loops under the car for stuff like this. I am going to be really bumbed if the Mazda doesn't have at least 1!

Make my day and tell me how to get around this apparent problem :)

Michael

They apparently removed them for 16 but are available...
Id go back to the dealer and ask them for them

Am I missing something? On the CRV I traded in for this (which is supposed less sporty than the mazda) there were three steel tie down loops under the car for stuff like this. I am going to be really bumbed if the Mazda doesn't have at least 1!
Michael
Just to clarify, you're not looking for hooks underneath on a Mazda. The tie down hooks referred to above (which, as noted, don't come with a 2016) screw into the bumper (one front/one rear) behind the little plastic bumper cut-outs. I suspect these hooks are now being removed at the POE as they are primarily used to tie the car down while it's in transit on the ship from Japan. Good luck getting the dealer to give you a set; you may have to buy them.

So we got a roof rack to carry our kayaks, and went to secure them by running a rop from the front of the kayaks to a tie down under the front of the car and.. surprise!! no tie downs there. Then looked in the back, no tie downs there either!
Make my day and tell me how to get around this apparent problem :)
Michael
There was a similar question been asked not long ago:
2016 CX-5 and Canoes

Yeah Mazda has decided taking out these eyelets for 2016 CX-5. But I ordered these to fill these two empty slots on the platform around the spare tire. They are expensive though and here are the part numbers:

KD53-50-EJ1B Hook, Towing $29.29 (List) for front (long)
KD53-50-EJ2B Hook, Towing $19.80 (List) for rear (short)

Personally I'd think these eyelets should be strong enough to tie down your kayaks as it tied down the whole CX-5 during the transportation. Just make sure the eyelets are securely installed.

Spare%252520Tire%252520and%252520Tool%252520Storage_01.jpg
Spare%252520Tire%252520and%252520Tool%252520Storage_02.jpg

Tiedown%252520Hooks_01.jpg
Tiedown%252520Hooks_02.jpg

Now I don't have any empty slots:
Tiedown%252520Hooks.jpg

I got the dealer to throw them in for me since I said "it looks like something is missing". Sales guys agreed and 30min later tie down hooks where in my hand. If they are not for towing where does the car get hooked up for towing?

I got the dealer to throw them in for me since I said "it looks like something is missing". Sales guys agreed and 30min later tie down hooks where in my hand. If they are not for towing where does the car get hooked up for towing?
You're lucky as I did try to get those for free. But the salesman checked many 2016's and none of them had them. So they had legit reason not to give me these for free.

Just to clarify, you're not looking for hooks underneath on a Mazda. The tie down hooks referred to above (which, as noted, don't come with a 2016) screw into the bumper (one front/one rear) behind the little plastic bumper cut-outs. I suspect these hooks are now being removed at the POE as they are primarily used to tie the car down while it's in transit on the ship from Japan. Good luck getting the dealer to give you a set; you may have to buy them.

I am looking for hooks underneath. My CRV had two steel eyelets bolted to the frame underneath in back, and one centered in front, just forward of the engine. This allowed me to run support ropes from the front and back of the kayak to eyelets underneath the vehicle, which were within reach (I didn't have to climb under the car, and nothing was protruding from the bumpers.. After reading the threads here I'm not sure if the "bumper eyelets" are meant for this purpose either??

I am looking for hooks underneath. My CRV had two steel eyelets bolted to the frame underneath in back, and one centered in front, just forward of the engine. This allowed me to run support ropes from the front and back of the kayak to eyelets underneath the vehicle, which were within reach (I didn't have to climb under the car, and nothing was protruding from the bumpers.. After reading the threads here I'm not sure if the "bumper eyelets" are meant for this purpose either??
They are serving the same purpose to tie-down the car during the transportation. CR-V has the build-in (to the frame) tie-down eyelets but CX-5 has removable tie-down eyelets screwed into the bumpers. Removable tie-down eyelets are popular in European cars for cosmetic purpose. If you checked the link I provided earlier, you'll see people have been using these "bumper eyelets" on CX-5 to tie down their canoes and kayaks without any issues.

Just got my '16 last Friday! I too need to tie down the front/back of my canoe and noticed the bumper ports for the threaded tiedown eyelets. I requested these from the dealer before closing the deal, as they indeed looked to be missing. I asked for 2 so I could tie down the front and rear at the same time. My salesman said he checked several inventory cx-5s and none had them. They are on order.

I ordered a set too, Don't know that I'll ever need them, but if I do I'll need them right then, so...

I ordered from http://www.zoomzoomnationparts.com

Qty Product # Price EA

1 Tow Hook. KD5350EJ2B $14.85
1 Tow Hook. KD5350EJ1B $21.96

Your order summary:
2 products, 2 items $ 36.81
Shipping To WA, USA $ 14.95

Total $ 51.76

I bought my new CX5 yesterday and I insisted that they include the 2 tie downs. The salesman said they don't typically come in the cars anymore, but he went in the back parts room and came out with them and put them in the car for me. I assume they remove them at the port now.

I was traveling 50 yards behind a SUV with a canoe on top. The front rope snapped. The 70mph head wind beat that thing on the pavement like a red headed step child. There was debris flying everywhere. By the time he pulled over all he had a was an eyelet, dragged by a rope, tied to the rear bumper.

There are two separate issues here The absence of the tie down / tow hooks supplied with the car, and fastening a Kayak to the car.
The tow hook / tie downs are not made for holding down things on the roof. They can certainly be used for that but the front one is in front of the driver, not centered, and using them loses part of the crash protection built into the car. The bumpers.

As far as holding down a Kayak, I used ropes going to the front and rear of the car for years. My last two cars didn't have a good way of doing that so I came up wit a different system. Using a roof rack strap the front of the boat to the front cross member with a good ratchet strap. Next tie a rope from each side of the front cross-member back to the rear eyelet of the Kayak, this keeps the Kayak from moving back. Last I open both rear doors and run a good ratchet strap and through the car and ratchet it down tight. Close the doors and go. That Kayak is not moving at all.

There are two separate issues here The absence of the tie down / tow hooks supplied with the car, and fastening a Kayak to the car.
The tow hook / tie downs are not made for holding down things on the roof. They can certainly be used for that but the front one is in front of the driver, not centered, and using them loses part of the crash protection built into the car. The bumpers.

As far as holding down a Kayak, I used ropes going to the front and rear of the car for years. My last two cars didn't have a good way of doing that so I came up wit a different system. Using a roof rack strap the front of the boat to the front cross member with a good ratchet strap. Next tie a rope from each side of the front cross-member back to the rear eyelet of the Kayak, this keeps the Kayak from moving back. Last I open both rear doors and run a good ratchet strap and through the car and ratchet it down tight. Close the doors and go. That Kayak is not moving at all.

+1 There are 2 tow hooks supplied next to your spare tire that are for pulling you CX5 onto a flat bed trailer. They screw into the bumper via under the plastic caps.

Back