Customize locking function to prevent locking keys in car?

reshp1

:
Mazda CX-5
(Solved) Customize locking function to prevent locking keys in car?

Edit: Figured it out. I remembered yesterday after locking myself out, I was driving somewhere else and noticed the door ajar light was on. If another door or the lift gate isn't fully closed, the anti-lockout feature doesn't work, allowing you to lock the doors with the door switch and then shut it without any warning beeps or auto unlocking like it normally would.

Is there a way to prevent the doors from locking when the vehicle detects the key is inside the cabin? Seems like most cars with passive entry/passive start (like my wife's Cruze) have this feature to prevent accidentally locking yourself out. This feature saves my bacon pretty regularly with the Cruze, since I often toss my keys in the cup holder instead of keeping them in my pocket, and then forget about them when leaving the car. I just found out the hard way my new CX-5 doesn't do this, at least not by default. I searched the manual and came up empty. The dealer also mentioned "you can't lock yourself out with this car," so I'm hoping it's a setting that I'm just not finding.

Last edited:
Mine does this automatically.

Are you sure? With the key fob in the center cup holders, mine definitely will be locked if you push the button on the door and then close the door. I don't think it's an issue with the sensor either, since of it couldn't sense the key in the cabin, the push start wouldn't work.

Are you sure? With the key fob in the center cup holders, mine definitely will be locked if you push the button on the door and then close the door. I don't think it's an issue with the sensor either, since of it couldn't sense the key in the cabin, the push start wouldn't work.

It's supposed to make a warning beep if you lock the door with a key inside. It won't prevent you from locking the doors with the key inside, but since it senses the key (otherwise the doors wouldn't lock in the first place), it should unlock from the outside when you push the button on the door handle. Have you tried opening the door when the key is inside?

It's supposed to make a warning beep if you lock the door with a key inside. It won't prevent you from locking the doors with the key inside, but since it senses the key (otherwise the doors wouldn't lock in the first place), it should unlock from the outside when you push the button on the door handle. Have you tried opening the door when the key is inside?

Is definitely not supposed to unlock from the outside if the key is inside, it's a safety feature to prevent car jackings (someone can't walk up to your car at a stop light or in a parking lot and force their way in)

The warning beep thing is what the cruze does but as far as I can remember it actually unlocks the door again just before it closes. There's no beeps on my cx5 whatsoever when I hit the lock button on the door with the key inside.

Edit: Figured it out. I remembered yesterday after locking myself out, I was driving somewhere else and noticed the door ajar light was on. If another door or the lift gate isn't fully closed, the anti-lockout feature doesn't work, allowing you to lock the doors with the door switch and then shut it without any warning beeps or auto unlocking like it normally would.

Ok, I tried recreating the issue again and now couldn't get it to lock me out now. Weird. Now it beeps and the door unlocks automatically, just as I was expecting it to do. Not sure what happened last time, but I absolutely did lock myself out and had to wait until my wife came home with the other key yesterday before I could get in.

Last edited:

Push the interior or exterior lock button ?

If I leave my keys on the passenger seat or cupholder or something, I can certainly press the lock on the door and close the door, locking myself out. No warning beep, no auto unlock, no nothing. 2014 CX5 Touring. What am I missing?

That's probably just a limitation of the antennna array to detect where the key is, which is usually something like +/- 10-15cm typically. From it's perspective, the key is outside. The antennas that detect the key for unlock and for start (which is what senses key-in-cabin for lock-out prevention purposes) are different and your cupholder just happens to be in the dead space where it won't prevent lock-out but won't authorize the door to unlock from outside either. I would put your keys in the center console instead.

Source: I work on passive entry systems (which is why the apparent lack of this feature initially annoyed me so much).

With the line backing up behind me, I was out of options and best I could do was roll down the window and one of my friends helped me climb out the back passenger window... then I called for a professional help) pretty good company. they released me from my trouble in 5 min. this is their site to check out http://www.locksmithnjlocksmith.com/. hope this will help

Back