Displeased with mileage

Pretty funny...

It's coincidental. I can promise you I'm always looking for ways to improve efficiency in all aspects of my lifestyle, in addition to reducing wastefulness, and improving conservation.

That's very noble, seriously.

And you were right at first when you said "Pretty funny" because my comment implying peer pressure to drive fast in Texas was a conspiracy to push oil prices up was said tongue in cheek.

Except that it's not in Austin - it's a 45 minute drive out of town. One bright spot, your CX-5 should be able to get over 30 mpg due to rural roads.

The waterfall dries up to a trickle in the dry season - which is more than half the year. Unless it's too wet (like right now), then swimming is prohibited because it's deemed "too dangerous".
When you arrive it's $15 to enter (if you can even get in) - after you wait over hour for enough people to leave that you are allowed to enter. Or, if the line to enter is too long you are not even allowed to wait - you have to turn around and leave (even if you arrived before the gate was opened during busy periods). I thought Texas was anti-tax and anti-regulation? I'm accustomed to free parking, no entrance fee or gates, come and go as you please, swim at your own risk 365 days/year and pets play with the humans.

You will get sick if you take a drink of water while swimming because of poorly regulated septic systems upstream. Yuck!

Is it ideal? No, but for Texas it must be decent or it wouldn't be so crowded. Yes, Texas is a big state. Hardly an advantage if 90% of it is wasteland. Bigger is not always better. I'd rather live in a "puny" state where we don't have to drive 350 miles to get somewhere else interesting.

WA is a pretty state, but screw your cost of living. That and the liberals are why I did not move to OR/WA/CA. But, for "natural beauty", your state is pretty darn nice! Anyway, I settled on NWA. Here is the view of the sunrises I'm going to have off of my deck once I get the house built:
1606404_656132290071_101868847_o.jpg

Out hiking an hour or so away at a park:
12027125_775071964011_1541388101816325934_o.jpg

Last edited:
Howdy Mike,

Damn Son, You need to get out in the Sunshine to help your Sunny Disposition some, it's kind of Cloudy lately !!!

WA is a pretty state, but screw your cost of living. That and the liberals are why I did not move to OR/WA/CA. But, for "natural beauty", your state is pretty darn nice!

But the liberal policies of Washington State are one of the main reasons it's such a desirable place to live. Clean air, clean cities, clean water, plentiful County Parks without entrance fees or parking charges, low cost public transit, good schools and reasonable regulation of industrialists who might try to take shortcuts with our natural resources. Yes, it costs a bit more to have these things but it's only money. Housing prices are dictated by supply and demand so of course a more desirable place is going to cost more. The counterpoint is wages are higher than in less expensive parts of the U.S. But WA State has a long history of being very liberal and standing up for workers rights going back to the earliest part of the last century. Our courts, schools and public institutions still reflect this liberalism through strong consumer protections, environmental protections and plentiful educational opportunities (although the modern wave of ultra-conservatism is beginning to creep in as outsiders migrate into WA and away from the disasters their forefathers helped create).

Anyway, I settled on NWA. Here is the view of the sunrises I'm going to have off of my deck once I get the house built:

That looks very nice (if not a bit remote). You have a big job ahead of you. My advice, keep the house part small. Too many American's build their dream house only to realize it's too big for the intended purpose.

Enjoy!

But the liberal policies of Washington State are one of the main reasons it's such a desirable place to live. Clean air, clean cities, clean water, plentiful County Parks without entrance fees or parking charges, low cost public transit, good schools and reasonable regulation of industrialists who might try to take shortcuts with our natural resources. Yes, it costs a bit more to have these things but it's only money. Housing prices are dictated by supply and demand so of course a more desirable place is going to cost more. The counterpoint is wages are higher than in less expensive parts of the U.S. But WA State has a long history of being very liberal and standing up for workers rights going back to the earliest part of the last century. Our courts, schools and public institutions still reflect this liberalism through strong consumer protections, environmental protections and plentiful educational opportunities (although the modern wave of ultra-conservatism is beginning to creep in as outsiders migrate into WA and away from the disasters their forefathers helped create).

That looks very nice (if not a bit remote). You have a big job ahead of you. My advice, keep the house part small. Too many American's build their dream house only to realize it's too big for the intended purpose.

Enjoy!

NWA has all of what you describe, minus the public transport. Heck, you can bike (in bike lanes) from Fayetteville to Bentonville (about 20 minutes by car). I've never seen a fee for anything here. Even the local art museum is free to walk the trails, etc. Very low crime and unemployment, and my apartment is $385/mo, and my Sheriff signs Form 4's on request and even teaches the CCW course himself (well, one of the one's offered around here).

What would you recommend on the house? I am looking to stay around $175K, say, 1800sq ft with a second story and a deck on that second story. I dunno if it will be a loft, or what, but I want 2 stories for the sake of the view off my mountain, and the deck to facilitate it.

*Paved access, on-site electric and DSL already, and 30min from work. 3 miles outside of the nearest city limits. 1 mile from Beaver Lake (Google).

I could live literally in any town/county/parish in this country. I chose my area for a laundry list of reasons. Not that others didn't have a lot of good as well. I considered Portland area, Asheville, Vegas, Upstate NY, and for various reasons ended up here.

Last edited:
NWA has all of what you describe, minus the public transport.

Of course I didn't provide a comprehensive list of the benefits of Washington's liberal policies. There are many.

I just saw this in Time Magazine's retirement/real estate section:

http://time.com/money/3967757/seniors-retire-marijuana-legal-states/

This has beneficial economic impacts as citizens from other states bring their retirement savings to more liberal states that offer their citizens more freedoms.
Of course, half the country has legal medical marijuana but only a select few states allow their citizens the freedom to eat/smoke/vape without a permission slip from their doctor. Isn't that what the Declaration of Independence says, "Life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness (as long as someone who has achieved a doctorate in medicine and is currently licensed by the state agrees with how you pursue life and liberty)"?

...What would you recommend on the house? I am looking to stay around $175K, say, 1800sq ft with a second story and a deck on that second story. I dunno if it will be a loft, or what, but I want 2 stories for the sake of the view off my mountain, and the deck to facilitate it.
suggest planning ahead for future resell and/or aging ;)
ie wide sidewalks, walkways, stairs, etc
disabled access doorways, electrical switches/outlets, bathrooms, kitchen
mother-in-law, nanny/caretaker suite over garage maybe (can be rental income until needed, or the damned kids move back!)
any energy efficiencies appropriate to your area

things like that that enhance it while you're there, with some "future proofing"

unfortunately - you'll also be the 'dealership' in this case, so be prepared for some tough negotiating LOL

suggest planning ahead for future resell and/or aging ;)
ie wide sidewalks, walkways, stairs, etc
disabled access doorways, electrical switches/outlets, bathrooms, kitchen
mother-in-law, nanny/caretaker suite over garage maybe (can be rental income until needed, or the damned kids move back!)
any energy efficiencies appropriate to your area

things like that that enhance it while you're there, with some "future proofing"

unfortunately - you'll also be the 'dealership' in this case, so be prepared for some tough negotiating LOL
No kids.
Parents will not be moving in.

Strongly agree with your other advice, though! However, due to the terrain in the area, and the fact that it's 30 minutes to the closest legit hospital, I don't feel that it would make an ideal retirement home for the average senior citizen/couple.

Of course I didn't provide a comprehensive list of the benefits of Washington's liberal policies. There are many.

I just saw this in Time Magazine's retirement/real estate section:

http://time.com/money/3967757/seniors-retire-marijuana-legal-states/

This has beneficial economic impacts as citizens from other states bring their retirement savings to more liberal states that offer their citizens more freedoms.
Of course, half the country has legal medical marijuana but only a select few states allow their citizens the freedom to eat/smoke/vape without a permission slip from their doctor. Isn't that what the Declaration of Independence says, "Life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness (as long as someone who has achieved a doctorate in medicine and is currently licensed by the state agrees with how you pursue life and liberty)"?

Noone I know who smokes pot cares if it's legal or not, and I've never seen an officer bust anyone for it. Pot is a stack-charge. I know only one person who went down for it, and it was stacked on a noise complaint because her neighbors were complaining about loud music late at night.

Back