Tapping into a wire for power(car on/lights on)

Skusaywa

:
2016 Cx-5 gt
Does anyone know where there is a wire that you can tap into where it only gets power when the car is turned on? Or maybe one where it only get power when the lights turn on would be best? Would like too hook up some footwell lights

once someone tells me how too do it then it will be in the right section. Right? Or does it really matter bc it just a forum and it's not the end of the world.

No it's not the end of the world, it's just a pet peeve of mine. Questions like yours really ought to be asked in the correct section and once the answer is given and you go about completing the work, which you documented and took pictures off, you should go about writing up a nice "HOW-TO" for other people to follow and post that in the how to section. Yes, it's just a forum. Maybe you're new to forums so I was pointing out how to properly use the How-to section. The how to section is meant for users to find how to do something that has already been done, everyother section for asking how to do something that hasn't yet been done or hasn't been covered in the how to section.

For instance, On my motorcycle forum there is section to ask about all things mechanical. A lot of people asked questions about how to replace the clutch plates. I replaced the clutch in my bike and took pictures along the way. When I was done I took to the time to write a very through "HOW TO" on replacing the clutch. If you'd like to see that it's right here: http://www.xjrider.com/viewtopic.php?f=69&t=5850

General questions should be asked in the other areas. Once the solution is found, that info can and should be posted in the how to section.

But to answer your question about the foot well lighting, for one, it's been covered before. Here:http://www.mazdas247.com/forum/showthread.php?123832542-Mazda-Welcome-Illumination-Kit

And Here:http://www.mazdas247.com/forum/showthread.php?123830899-How-to-wire-LED-Door-Sills

The short of it is there is no wire that is conviently under the dash or coming out of the interior fuse box that allows you tap into it to install foot well illumination. You are welcome to poke around there and hopefully find a solution to what you're looking for. I'd like to install foot well lights as well but running wires to the rear of the car seems to be too much work at the moment for me to invest any time doing it. On my Protege5 it was as simple as splicing into two wires up under the dash but that doesn't seem to be the case on the CX-5. Good luck

Was thinking about splicing into one of the fog light wires and when the lights turn on the footwell lights turn on. Not sure if that would work or not. Not a fan of messing with anything in the fuse box. It would be nice if the power outlet wasn't always constant power. =/

There is a fuse block behind a cover next to the drivers door. It has a fuse for the switched power outlet in the center consol #9 . I used a Add- A -Circuit Fuse Tap Piggy Back Blade Fuse Holder available at NAPA and on ebay. To take power from there you just remove the fuse and plug in the tap with two fuses and attach a wire. btw. The fuse block is held in place with a 13 mm nut that is accessible through the fuse access door. It makes a handy ground stud.

I seen a pic of it on napa online. It's has two spots for fuses right? Is one for the original and the other one for the add on? Thanks for the info.

I seen a pic of it on napa online. It's has two spots for fuses right? Is one for the original and the other one for the add on? Thanks for the info.

Did you ever figure this out? What fuse did you tap into?

When I installed the glovebox light with a pin switch, I used the illumination wire from behind the radio. Gives you 12+ when the ignition is on and the lights are on.

Latest posts

Back