Mazda Has Already Sold a Million CX-5s

I really kind of just jumped out into space when I bought my 2015 touring 2.5 awd. The more I learn about my purchase the better I feel.

The market is a tad more competitive now, but back in March of 12, it was an easy sell for wife and I.

Good to see the model is staying competitive. Mazda has done a well enough job, making critical updates to trim and options. The 16 model year plus now looks better than ever! XD

Great vehicle, and exactly why we weren't going to shop around when the 2014 came to an untimely 'death.'

While Mazda CX-5 is doing well on worldwide sales, but it is not as competitive as I thought in the US market. As we can see from 20 Best-Selling Vehicles in America May Edition, none of the Mazda cars made the list. Among all SUV/CUV's through April 2015:

7. Honda CR-V - YTD Sales: 102,579; Vs. 2014: 6.7%
11. Chevrolet Equinox - YTD Sales: 94,469; Vs. 2014: 23.7%
12. Ford Escape - YTD Sales: 93,042; Vs. 2014: -3.0%
13. Toyota RAV4 - YTD Sales: 89,924; Vs. 2014: 25.1%
14. Nissan Rogue - YTD Sales: 86,253; Vs. 2014: 31.7%
17. Ford Explorer - YTD Sales: 77,551; Vs. 2014: 20.1%

Not surprising Honda CR-V is the top seller among SUV/CUV's. In fact, CR-V is now the best-selling Honda in America. Hopefully Mazda can resolve the problems on SkyActiv-D diesel engine and make it available in the US which should boost some sales here.

They are far smaller automaker though and still getting their footing after being completely divested from Ford.

I'm more excited about Skyactiv v 2.0 in a few years than the diesel at this point. It somewhat appears to be like a diesel motor that runs on regular petrol. No idea on the torque of that motor but likely similar mileage without the diesel price premium.

They are far smaller automaker though and still getting their footing after being completely divested from Ford.
I'm more excited about Skyactiv v 2.0 in a few years than the diesel at this point. It somewhat appears to be like a diesel motor that runs on regular petrol. No idea on the torque of that motor but likely similar mileage without the diesel price premium.
I guess I really love the specs on 14:1 low-compression SA-D 2.2L with 173 hp @ 4500 rpm, 310 lb-ft @ 2000 rpm, and 5200 rpm redline! Mazda once claimed SA-D is a diesel engine with the fuel efficiency of a hybrid without any compromises in performance.

I like the idea of passing on todays popular trend of downsized, turbocharged engines like Mazda did with SkyActiv Technology. May be we should wait for the next generation SA-G gasoline engines, which will employ Homogenous Charge Compression Ignition (HCCI) essentially firing a gasoline engine like a diesel without using the spark plugs!

Back