'16 Plastidip Front Emblem

KCSam

:
2016 CX-5 GT AWD w/Tech
Has anyone tried Plastidipping the Mazda emblem on the front of the 2016 CX5? Just curious in seeing some pictures and what was done to prevent spraying inside the grill during over-spray. I've heard cardboard can be used behind the grill, but would like to hear from some CX5 folks and see how they approached.

Ok, thanks for the search recommendation, but I guess you should have read the title of my thread a little better; '16 Plastidip Front Emblem. The posts 10 spots below is for the '15 honeycomb grill and NOT the '16 horizontal grill.

I started this thread to help differentiate the two.

Ok, thanks for the search recommendation, but I guess you should have read the title of my thread a little better; '16 Plastidip Front Emblem. The posts 10 spots below is for the '15 honeycomb grill and NOT the '16 horizontal grill.

I started this thread to help differentiate the two.

The emblem attaches the same way and the part numbers for them are the same across the years. They changed the surrounding grill design but not the emblem itself. The only question that would be relevant would be if you have the I-activsense package and your emblem is covered by the clear plastic lens. If that is the case I suspect you would be one of the firsts to try to remove it and plasti-dip. My best advice would be to pull the front bumper off so you have full and easy access to the emblem and go about removing it as best seems fit. I looked at my '16 with I-active sense and it's not easily accessed from the top, even after remove some of the plastic panels under the hood.

I did it yesterday. Rather than removing the bumper, I just newspapered and taped up extra tight to ensure the plastic wouldn't make its way through the grill and onto the radiator. I have the GT minus the I-activ sense package, so that wasn't an issue.

All in all, the black plasti-dip looks good on the white. I'm happy with the results.

So I'm trying to black out my Front M emblem on my new '16 CX-5 GT but I'm running into trouble.

First I tried removing the emblem. It looks like the emblem is housed on a plastic case which is attached to the grill. I was able to pull the bottom two tabs on that housing by reaching behind the grill, but I couldn't reach any of the other tabs and was worried about breaking the fragile plastic.

I then tried plastidipping with the emblem still on. Taping and masking went ok, but when it came to peeling the dip off, there wasn't a clean break line along the outside of the emblem, so I pulled off too much plastidip.

I'm hoping to hear from someone who's done this successfully. Is there a way to remove that front emblem? If not, did you have any trouble getting a break line on the outside of the emblem? Did you leave the inside of the emblem dipped or did you peel out the inside paint too?

I realize there's a few threads on this so I just picked this one because it was specific to the 2016.

Since you say it is covered in plastic ,you have the Tech package which means you don't want to mess with the emblem.I am not sure what it does exactly,but only the Tech package GTs have plastic covering.

It's all GT's with tech that have the clear cover over the emblem, just the ones with I-activesense I believe. The Radar sensor for the radar cruise control is located behind that cover. If you can find away to remove the cover and the badge there should be no problems with dipping the emblem and reinstalling. I suspect you would probably have to pull the bumper to gain access to the clips that hold the cover and emblem in place. It may be a lot of work for a small result. Let us know how it goes.

Sorry I didn't describe that right. I don't have the tech package just the vanilla GT so it doesn't have the clear plastic plate.

The emblem itself is housed on an oval shaped mount and I'm having trouble getting either the emblem or the housing off the grill. I'll try to grab a picture next time I have a chance.

Seems like it's easier the tape off and newspaper off the area around the emblem and then peel off the excess that gets on the metal. I'd try that first - worst case is you peel it all off and start back where you are now. Youtube has some good videos of plastidipping.

I had to do mine 3 times before I was able to pull the plastic off without taking off from the emblem itself. Just make sure you have several layers and you make thicker with each spraying. I waited for about 30 min. (while in the sun) for it to settle and then just pulled away from the emblem SLOWLY. If you take off too much, just spray again and start over. It looks good if done right. I'm happy with mine.

Back