2016 infotainment random crash / hard reset

Scheduled for this Thur. to have my first oil change, and to have the infotainment updated. Service lady I spoke didn't have a clue what I was talking about. So I may NOT get the update! I had mine freeze me out of Nav yesterday. I was headed to a spot, and using Nav to guide me. I stopped for a drink at a gas station, came back out and when I restarted it has at the home screen, and wouldn't allow me back into Nav.

Grrrr....

Exactly, I got it from here and the dealer did not have a clue about the new version until I told them...

Well, I spent three hours at the dealership today where they downloaded the update twice and still were unable to install it in my car. Worked fine on another car in the showroom but for some reason mine just would not recognize the USB stick and the update files. So they will have to call Mazda on Monday to see what might be going on there.

Follow-up to this: It turns out the USB module needed to be replaced. Not sure why, since I was able to play MP3s off a USB stick before I took it in, but they ordered the part, presumably installed it and then were able to perform the v55 update.

So far, so good...

Difference between Os Version and Fail-safe version

Is there a way to determine which OS version is currently installed?

Can any one tell me what the difference is between the OS Version and the Fail-Safe version.
My OS is 51 and my fail-safe reads 55.000.750B.

Had the Navi/Infotainment system totally lock up when we took three exits in a row to turn around on the expressway. Turning the car off didn't help. Removing the SD card and turning the car off and on allowed the system to reboot. Mazda has since updated the software.

Hi... YES!! This sounds exactly the same as the issue I have with my Mazda 3 "Infotainment" system and it's incredibly frustrating. I bought my car new so I know it's not because of someone hacking into the system to try and expand its capabilities. Unfortunately, I highly doubt that Mazda would, or will, spend the money to either recall the cars (since I don't believe it's a safety issue) or offer a free fix to all the Mazda buyers that are having this issue, (but hey, big car companies can, once in a blue moon, do the right thing by us loyalty buyers). Please let me know if you have found any resolve and I will do the same. Good luck.

I found this thread and had to type out my experience with my CX5 last night.

I was driving back on the highway and I noticed the infotainment system restarted while driving, which I think it's done before which wasn't anything special (I used to be a systems admin). Except this time, just as it would get past the Mazda loading screen it would shut down again. That's the first thing I noticed, after seeing it do that twice I noticed that my check engine and traction control lights were on. Ok, something is happening I thought. Continuing to drive I then noticed that my front headlight were turning off every time the system "rebooted" along with all my dash lights restarting however the car kept driving.

I could also tell that there was a serious lack of responsiveness from the gas petal. At that point I decided to get off the highway and could definitely tell from a stop the car had lost a lot it's pep. I pulled over, put the car in park (more lights showed up on the dash) and shut it off. Gave it a second and the car started up and drove home like nothing had happened.

I obviously called the dealership the next day and brought the car in. "Oh sure we can see the code it threw even if it's not there". Yeah sure, $110 so they could hook up the ODBII and make some BS excuse as to why my car was stuck in a boot loop.

Last edited:
That's strange, I wonder how much the infotainment is hooked into the rest of the system, and how much the infotainment is affected by the car's operation (or the other way around). Mine is running on v55.00.753A and it's been really stable, haven't had a crash or freeze even with a bunch of tweaks on it.

It's certainly tied to other components in the car because you can adjust things like blinker functions and how long the headlight stay on after it's been turned off. The fact that the car stayed on and drove makes me think that it's not tied into the engine computer directly but it definitely affected the intake of air/gas somehow.

Mine did this twice last week. Just driving along and it rebooted the infotainment. Didn't notice anything with the lights it was daytime or performance just idling along the freeway. It did it a couple maybe even three times in a couple day period. Only when on Bluetooth. Not sure I updated iOS since then and the dealer did An update yesterday. We'll see if it keeps happening

Our 2016 CX-5 GT went a year before any strange issues cropped up. Purchased in Sept. 2015.

Just started doing the reboot once a week. Now it wants to delete "Favorites" after inputting them.

Just checked, looks like we have an older software version (51.00.351). If I read some other posts correctly, the latest version for the CX-5 is 55.00.760A ?

I'll have them update it when I take it in for the latest recall (9916H, which has to do with the hatchback struts).

My 2016 cx5 is 4 months old my infotainment system just crashed. After reading all these blogs makes me think Mazda was not a good buy. Have an appointment with dealer tomorrow. If this problem keeps coming back then it's time to take a loss and get the Honda CRV. Have one now no problems.

Day 4 of ownership in the 2016 and it locked up on the warning screen. Had to restart the car ... Is there a way to reboot without shutting down the car engine? While driving?

Yes, Press and hold all three of these for 10-12 sec.

Mute + Back + Nav = Navigation reset

Mute + * (favorites) + Music = System access/test mode (not all versions)

Mute + Nav = Reboot

Last edited:
Yes, Press and hold all three of these for 10-12 sec.

Mute + Back + Nav = Navigation reset

Mute + * (favorites) + Music = System access/test mode (not all versions)

Mute + Nav = Reboot

Will this help to resolve the backup camera issue. Mine all of a sudden is stuck in what ever screen its showing and not showing images from reverse camera. Any one fixed this without a dealer visit please advise.
Between mine is a 2016 GT. Will this be still covered under warranty ?

Will this help to resolve the backup camera issue. Mine all of a sudden is stuck in what ever screen its showing and not showing images from reverse camera. Any one fixed this without a dealer visit please advise.
Between mine is a 2016 GT. Will this be still covered under warranty ?

Give it a shot, it will not harm anything, your just restarting / resetting things. Will not void anything.

However if the camera is not working definitely stop by the local Mazda dealer as warranty.

Back