CEL with code P2009

steve98

:
2007 Mazda Premacy (Mazda 5)
Hi there, just joined the forum, first post.

I have a 2007 Mazda Premacy (Mazda 5) Japanese import, live in New Zealand. A few weeks ago I had a couple of incidents where the engine cut out on me, once while I was in drive (automatic transmission) with break on waiting to turn into traffic, and another when I was reversing down my driveway with brake slightly pressed to reduce speed. A day or so after the second incident the CEL came on.

I took the car to a mechanic, he said the code it was giving out was nonsense, reset the code, checked a few things and said the car was fine.

Next day, with CEL off, I went to fill up with petrol. After filling up and starting the engine the CEL came back on. When I got home, I started googling for answers and found lots of posts saying the CEL can come on if the petrol cap is not tightened until it clicks a few times. I had no idea about this so thought this was the likely answer. Since then, even though I now always click three times when screwing the cap on, the CEL still comes on and goes off again intermittently.

Then I read about OBD2 scanners, so I bought one for my iPhone. The code is P2009 which seems to be related to the air intake in the engine. This morning, I filled up with petrol again and the car struggled to start - it has never done this before.

So I'm guessing the mechanic was wrong and that there is something wrong... but does anyone know what? Can a faulty petrol cap cause these sorts of issues? I'm also reading that the car starting rough after a refuel can point to purge solenoid valve.

After paying NZ$92 to have a mechanic tell me there's nothing wrong with my car, I'm nervous to take it in again.

Cheers

Steve

Hi there, just joined the forum, first post.

I have a 2007 Mazda Premacy (Mazda 5) Japanese import, live in New Zealand. A few weeks ago I had a couple of incidents where the engine cut out on me, once while I was in drive (automatic transmission) with break on waiting to turn into traffic, and another when I was reversing down my driveway with brake slightly pressed to reduce speed. A day or so after the second incident the CEL came on.

I took the car to a mechanic, he said the code it was giving out was nonsense, reset the code, checked a few things and said the car was fine.

Next day, with CEL off, I went to fill up with petrol. After filling up and starting the engine the CEL came back on. When I got home, I started googling for answers and found lots of posts saying the CEL can come on if the petrol cap is not tightened until it clicks a few times. I had no idea about this so thought this was the likely answer. Since then, even though I now always click three times when screwing the cap on, the CEL still comes on and goes off again intermittently.

Then I read about OBD2 scanners, so I bought one for my iPhone. The code is P2009 which seems to be related to the air intake in the engine. This morning, I filled up with petrol again and the car struggled to start - it has never done this before.

So I'm guessing the mechanic was wrong and that there is something wrong... but does anyone know what? Can a faulty petrol cap cause these sorts of issues? I'm also reading that the car starting rough after a refuel can point to purge solenoid valve.

After paying NZ$92 to have a mechanic tell me there's nothing wrong with my car, I'm nervous to take it in again.

Cheers

Steve

Sounds like a bad purge control valve.

Sounds like a bad purge control valve.

My 06 had the same issue on fill up. Easy to fix as well as it sits on top of the engine and has one connector and two hoses if I remember correctly. Probably a 20 min job once you buy the part.

Can someone link me to the exact part? I've got an 06 Mazda 5 with identical problems (have replaced 02 sensor already) and I'm not finding the exact part or replacement instructions when I search. And should I bother with a gas cap or bet on the PCV? I have the original gas cap and do tighten it 3 clicks or whatever, and I don't overfill. Also, I've experimented with filling only half tank to see if that changed anything, and it does not. When I put gas in the tank at all ever, I experiene rough start and rough idle.

Back