Anyone found an OBD2 phone app that will read transmission fluid temp?

I've ran the ELM327 options for about 6 years. Never had one burn out.

I'm experimenting with this one now with a 3 year warranty, firmware updates and secure Bluetooth.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/ (commissions earned)

http://www.obdlink.com/mxp/

They are based out of Phoenix, AZ and have really good support. Like Forscan this can peer into modules well beyond general OBD of most major makes. I use this with my Infiniti G35x and GX 460 as well.

I just bought one of these to use for an ATF drain and fill. Did you have any luck finding the ATF Temp in the app that they provide please? Maybe I'm being dense (happens a lot) but I can't find it for the life of me.

I just bought one of these to use for an ATF drain and fill. Did you have any luck finding the ATF Temp in the app that they provide please? Maybe I'm being dense (happens a lot) but I can't find it for the life of me.

l will check again tonight or tomorrow. I assume you pulled down your model year in the Extras area of app?

Here are screen shots of finding AT temp as well as a comparison of AT temps versus coolant after about half hour.

AT Temp PID is found in the Transmission Control Module when you are adding a gauge to the dashboard area. It just says "Transmission Fluid Temperature (C,F)

There is a search field at the top of lists so you could just type in temperature to find it.

IMG_0674.PNG

IMG_0675.PNG

IMG_0676.PNG

IMG_0677.PNG

IMG_0678.PNG

IMG_0679.PNG

Here are screen shots of finding AT temp as well as a comparison of AT temps versus coolant after about half hour.

AT Temp PID is found in the Transmission Control Module when you are adding a gauge to the dashboard area. It just says "Transmission Fluid Temperature (C,F)

There is a search field at the top of lists so you could just type in temperature to find it.

Thanks. I am tempted to buy it.

Thank-you for the extremely detailed reply, sincerely appreciate it. I'll hopefully have time to play with the module and app again this evening, and this will help tremendously.

Also thanks Kedis82ZE8 for the instructions, I too just changed my transmission plus my strainer.
I just bought the BAFX PRODUCT OBD2 reader yesterday and downloaded the ForScan Demo to get my ATF temp.

A few questions if you don't mind, Can I have my Mazda and the OBD connected to my phone Bluetooth at the same time?
And I can only read one thing at a time, will that change if I upgrade to ForScan Lite?

A few questions if you don't mind, Can I have my Mazda and the OBD connected to my phone Bluetooth at the same time?
And I can only read one thing at a time, will that change if I upgrade to ForScan Lite?

I'm gonna have to check Forscan again... I've been use my OBD Fusion/Link lately since it works with my Lexus and Infiniti. So many different screens I can't remember offhand.

I've always assumed the bluetooth devices are only 1 'connection' connected/active at a time. but it can be tested.

I use multi BT connections all the time.

Example: OBD, Mazda BT and my Apple Watch to my iPhone. I don*t think you can have multiple phones connected to same OBD BT....the wifi ones might allow for that. I haven*t tested.

Well I wanted to check my ATF level after it was change got the new OBD2 to work enough to read temperature.

So I drove mine and when I checked the fluid level the temperature was at 174 F, a bit over 122 F. I assuming that 122 F was the minimum temp required ( I hope).

It was at the bottom of the dash, I added about 3 oz that brought it up to the top of the dash.
Am I good to go?
Thanks, AC

Well I wanted to check my ATF level after it was change got the new OBD2 to work enough to read temperature.

So I drove mine and when I checked the fluid level the temperature was at 174 F, a bit over 122 F. I assuming that 122 F was the minimum temp required ( I hope).

It was at the bottom of the dash, I added about 3 oz that brought it up to the top of the dash.
Am I good to go?
Thanks, AC
No, 122F is not the minimum temperature required for ATF level measurement.

ATF is more sensitive to the temperature and expands more than other fluid. If you measured your ATF at 174F, which is way higher than specified 122F, you should expect the ATF would be at lower end of dash if you re-measure the ATF level at proper temperature, 122F.

Has anyone tried the Blue Driver device by Lemur? That seems to be a robust unit and I think it has all the Mazda extended codes. I recently ordered one to use in my Subaru but havent really played with it yet.

No, 122F is not the minimum temperature required for ATF level measurement.

ATF is more sensitive to the temperature and expands more than other fluid. If you measured your ATF at 174F, which is way higher than specified 122F, you should expect the ATF would be at lower end of dash if you re-measure the ATF level at proper temperature, 122F.

Thanks for the reply yrwei, I'll try to check it again at 122 F, I didn't think it was going to get that warm driving it over to a friends house where I checked it.

I posted in another thread that I just installed an OBDLink LX Bluetooth Scan Tool and TorquePro on a Samsung tablet (I want a large display so I can see the gauges as I drive).

I do not see where there is an oil pressure PID. TorquePro lists all the available PIDs, then provides one of 3 statuses: (1) No Sensor seen; (2) Sensor seen but no data reading; (3) Sensor seen and data available. It has an engine oil temp PID.

I looked at the PIDs they had specifically for Ford, and there is no oil pressure PID there.

So I have a couple of questions:
(1) Is oil pressure not available to the computer?
(2) If I do a custom PID, is there something in that PID that knows which sensor to read from?

Anyone have a resource they can recommend that I can read to get up to speed on this stuff?

I was disappointed to see the lack of an oil pressure gauge...I really miss having one. I hate idiot lights. It was the primary reason I even got this, except to be able to read/clear the Error Codes.

Thanks

edit to add: The daggone TorquePro has a Transmission Temp PID, but it is reading the coolant temp. Had I not put both gauges side-by-side, I would not have known.

Last edited:
Back